Brit expat charged for horrific Phuket accident

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Araiwah said:

Well if he gets the same treatment as a local it should be about 1000bt. Wasn't that what the Thai guy got who came round a bend too fast and on the wrong side of the road killing two Brit cyclists a few years back? 2000bt fine I believe so 1000bt per death. Who wants to bet he won't get treated with that leniency (not that he should of course, nobody should)

A fine has nothing to do with the compensation payment.

15 hours ago, arithai12 said:

You seem to know everything so I won't argue, however note that a good insurance usually includes a provision for bail money and it's therefore not so surprising that he is out for the moment even without invoking magics and fixes.

For the moment.

If he were to flee to the UK, what are the chances that they would send him back to Thailand via a treaty? 

11 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I think I'll wait until the outcome of the report before commenting.one thing I must say is it's not safe to skittle around in the middle of a highway in the middle of the night with some sort of trolley that would probably have no lights on and the man not having a high viz jacket on.im not trying to blame the victim but sometimes when you play with fire you can expect to get burnt.anyway let's wait and see the outcome.

4.45am is not the middle of the night. This Thai guy probably had no choice about what time he started work. 

And I don't suppose he could afford a high viz jacket.

And he didn't deserve to have his body torn apart either!

9 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

If he were to flee to the UK, what are the chances that they would send him back to Thailand via a treaty? 

Have I missed something? After being charged, Is the 'Brit' out on bail?

TWO thoughts come to mind,

along with prayers for the deceased :

(1)

Accident happened at 4:45 a.m. --- hmmm --- what is the most common pastime that would keep someone out that late ? Lots and lots of alcohol and entertainment ???

(2)

So many of the high end luxury cars have deeply tinted windows to protect from the sun and also allow for privacy from prying eyes . At night - those tinted windows make it difficult to see anything that is not lit up by street lights. In my opinion, the LEGAL level of tint should be set much clearer than is the norm here so that drivers can see what is on the road as they drive in the dark.

9 hours ago, balo said:

So this man now walks free? 

I have his FB address if anyone's interested in digging further...

If the investigation(good luck with that) proves his guilt, then send his Brit ass back home. I am tired of hearing about people with money paying off the proper authorities for their obvious negligence. Proper investigators would seek witnesses (if any) and/or perform a forensic analysis with his vehicle. And yes...sometimes accidents are unavoidable, but with respect to the victim the appropriate authorities need to get to the bottom of it.

And finally...as demonstrated with the negligent cases where indian tourists were inadvertently killed (by some Thai punks), the Thai gov't assigned a price (and showed a big check as if they won the lottery)for their untimely deaths. When a country de-emphasizes the importance of a life, should one expect a miracle where suddenly that changes? Please don't hold your breath. Increasingly, it is either Thai natives or farangs that seem to be contributing to this downward spiral. Not meaning to generalize- simply filtering what is reported. And I understand that one needs to separate these matters as to whom is responsible.

But the fact of the matter is that there are so many unnecessary deaths and the reasons are far-reaching.I guess I grow tired of reading sad stories and wish that others challenged the appropriate people when there are questions. And yes- s..t happens everywhere, but just like what is happening to Cancun Mexico, unless tourist officials take some things seriously, the economy will tank. Obviously I went off a bit re: the story at hand, but traffic fatalities need to be dealt with somehow and those guilty - whether rich or poor should be subject to appropriate measures. Again, please don't hold your breath re: skilled driving.

10 minutes ago, kentrot said:

In my opinion, the LEGAL level of tint should be set much clearer than is the norm here so that drivers can see what is on the road as they drive in the dark.

This is Thailand, where an entire family are allowed to ride around on one motorbike, or sit in the back of a pickup truck. Setting a law for levels of tinting isn't high up on their radar right now lol 

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of an accident years ago in Bangkok. A Porsche driver hit someone and ripped the body in two parts.

Then he continued to drive to somewhere else - I think he somehow didn't notice the impact.

As far as I remember the guy was never properly punished. TiT

Porsche = $$$ = The laws were made for me = Nothing to answer for.

But watch out the poor sapper who dares tell the truth about injustices and corruption.

1 minute ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

This is Thailand, where an entire family are allowed to ride around on one motorbike, or sit in the back of a pickup truck. Setting a law for levels of tinting isn't high up on their radar right now lol 

Agreed- what is more important is proper safety. Understandable that income (or lack thereof) induces those who are simply trying to survive take those risks, but the matter is exacerbated by those irresponsible drivers who make that risk that affects innocent people who are simply trying to survive. The fault goes around to many, but I'm addressing those incidents  where lost lives could have been prevented by some common sense and prudent knowledge of driving skills. Many are at fault for many reasons, but when I read of the innocent victims- such as the person torn apart, then I change my attitude.

1 minute ago, TMNH said:

Agreed- what is more important is proper safety. Understandable that income (or lack thereof) induces those who are simply trying to survive take those risks, but the matter is exacerbated by those irresponsible drivers who make that risk that affects innocent people who are simply trying to survive. The fault goes around to many, but I'm addressing those incidents  where lost lives could have been prevented by some common sense and prudent knowledge of driving skills. Many are at fault for many reasons, but when I read of the innocent victims- such as the person torn apart, then I change my attitude.

The best way of surviving is to keep off the roads at 5 AM in the morning 

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

4.45am is not the middle of the night. This Thai guy probably had no choice about what time he started work. 

And I don't suppose he could afford a high viz jacket.

And he didn't deserve to have his body torn apart either!

No 4.45 ain't quite the middle of the night for some but it's still dark which is more to the point.how do you know he was going to work? As another member pointed out,he might of been on his way home after a drinking.we will never know.as for money,don't be fooled.the local hoarder in our village died two weeks ago.200,000b in money belt and 100,000b in her wheel chair.these collectors of trash are basically hoarders and some have money.as for the horrific death we all know that no one deserves that thanks.if this happened in the uk the victims blood would be tested too as a form of defence for the accused.same riding a bicycle in the the dark on a hiway with no lights.ive not seen one person mention the accused might of been going to work but he was probably drunk.as I said before let's not get into any speculation until we get more info.

2 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

.as I said before let's not get into any speculation until we get more info.

And that's prudent thinking as long as one  can be fairly confident that the investigation is performed properly. Somehow, I have doubts aboutthat.

4 minutes ago, lazeeboy said:

He has insurance if he ad no drugs or alcohol in his system he will be fine .my insurance covers the bail to a point also on a Benz so people thinking otherwise should ....

What? Your insurance has no bearing on this story. What matters is whether the driver was intoxicated (good luck proving that). Who cares about bail and a "Benz" should not matter whether one is at fault. Get your issues straight.

10 minutes ago, lazeeboy said:

He has insurance if he ad no drugs or alcohol in his system

4.45 in the morning. The driver also has a history of drinking , according to his FB . 

5 hours ago, kingkenny said:

This wasn't in Bangkok, it was in Isan somewhere, I think the girl was Burmese or laos and was crossing he rad from the factory where she worked..

Outskirts of BKK wifey was i phra padeang at time

Samut prakan  or Samut songkran that area

3 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Poor man, working for a few bahts at these hours (4’45 am), RIP. 

Yes I would expect some one who works hard to be going to work at that time.dont know why a trash collector would be out that early and i can say I've never seen them,only in the daytime.lets not start being biased because one person was driving a Mercedes and one man was pushing some sort of trolley around.lets wait for the facts to come out.

2 minutes ago, balo said:

4.45 in the morning. The driver also has a history of drinking , according to his FB . 

a person who might be drinking (if it can be validated) has a better chance of getting through the night than a drunk driver driving at a late night on his way home.

3 minutes ago, balo said:

14 hours ago, GBW said:

Foot note:

* Correction: The police have still not received the alcohol blood test results from the hospital. The error is regretted.
Phuket Times this afternoon.

7 days seems an awful long time to take and analyse a simple blood sample?????????????????????  

Let him sober up a Bit

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

The car is damaged on the front right hand side .

Either the dead guy was in the middle of the road, or the car was on the wrong side of the road

Well spotted max.the victim might of been bang in the middle of the highway.there are so many scenarios here so as I've pointed out beforehand let's just wait and see.

10 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Yes I would expect some one who works hard to be going to work at that time.dont know why a trash collector would be out that early and i can say I've never seen them,only in the daytime.lets not start being biased because one person was driving a Mercedes and one man was pushing some sort of trolley around.lets wait for the facts to come out.

A worker from the PTT petrol station who witnessed the accident said that the deceased was a man who always collected sellable rubbish from the area.

At the time of the accident he was collecting plastic bottles from the side of the road when the car crashed into him and dragged him about 40 metres before coming to a stop.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-charged-for-horrific-phuket-accident-69006.php#Z4pMYiUXDwKs2jsQ.99

8 minutes ago, TMNH said:

a person who might be drinking (if it can be validated) has a better chance of getting through the night than a drunk driver driving at a late night on his way home.

And should it be assumed that just because you may be drinking, you are at the mercy of a driver who might have been more inebriated and failed to be alert? We'll see...if proper investigation ensues.

Archived