How to stay Wide Awake.

NoshowJones

Since I came back from the UK, I cannot get my sleeping pattern back to normal. It is nearly three weeks now.

Most nights I am losing about three hours sleep, and then falling asleep through the day.

Is there anything I can do to prevent falling asleep through the day? In the past, I have always returned to normal after about a week.

May I point out I never have any problems actually falling asleep, it's mostly waking up around 3 am and then falling asleep about 7am

for maybe two hours, then nodding off through the day for short spells.

Melatonin is very helpful for this, you can get it from Lazada. Take it at bedtime and you can repeat dose if you awaken in them iddle of the night (might want to get it in sublingual form for that purpose).

As much exposure to sunlight as possible during the day also helps.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Melatonin is very helpful for this, you can get it from Lazada. Take it at bedtime and you can repeat dose if you awaken in them iddle of the night (might want to get it in sublingual form for that purpose).

As much exposure to sunlight as possible during the day also helps.

Thanks Sheryl, I will make a point of doing that.

1 minute ago, Bob12345 said:

Cafeïne works wonders.

Easily available in Thailand at every 7-11 in the small bottles with energy drink.

Yes, but these energy drinks are full of calories, and although I am not overweight I do not want to be like most farangs here in Thailand.

Some studies suggest that body and mind follows what stomach does. 

Therefore, if you eat breakfast, you should wake up for that and eat at that time. Follow your normal eating rhythm throughout the day and you should get back to your normal sleeping pattern.

20 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Some studies suggest that body and mind follows what stomach does. 

Therefore, if you eat breakfast, you should wake up for that and eat at that time. Follow your normal eating rhythm throughout the day and you should get back to your normal sleeping pattern.

I have been back to my normal eating rhythm for the past two weeks.

If you are losing sleep at night try Domirax, an anti histamine with the strongest drowsy side effects of any anti histamine. Won't put you to sleep but when you do drop off your sleep will last longer.

A lot better than Xanax and perfectly legal. Usually 30 baht for a sheet of 10. Don't settle for another anti histamine as they are not as effective. You might have to try several chemists but they can usually be found with effort.

They are a small blue lozenge shape

P_20181018_163157.jpg

P_20181018_163212_1.jpg

I also have this problem. What you take or eat wont solve IMO just planning.

I find helpful when you want to reset, stay up the whole night before and plan the next day to be out and have activity so you cannot nap.

My routine, meet up with people for lunch, long walk around Lumpini park, maybe explore some other area, go to workout,  dinner etc.

by then get home at 8pm exhausted then can usually sleep right through.

then set alarm for 9am and continue on but not sleeping through the day.

after a few days you should be back to normal 

I also find I need a morning boost, but I also don't drink coffee or tea.. Every morning without fail I take a Lipo drink.. Similar to Red Bull in affect but different taste.. 12 Bht from 7/11.. It is like a caffeine pick me up.. 

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, but these energy drinks are full of calories, and although I am not overweight I do not want to be like most farangs here in Thailand.

Well, the idea is to take one or two for maybe 2 days max, not put a dozen bottles in your daily schedule for the coming years.

Having a lack of sleep is closer related to getting overweight than a couple of energy drinks (lack of sleep often results in cravings and breaking a healthy diet).

4 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

I also have this problem. What you take or eat wont solve IMO just planning.

I find helpful when you want to reset, stay up the whole night before and plan the next day to be out and have activity so you cannot nap.

My routine, meet up with people for lunch, long walk around Lumpini park, maybe explore some other area, go to workout,  dinner etc.

by then get home at 8pm exhausted then can usually sleep right through.

then set alarm for 9am and continue on but not sleeping through the day.

after a few days you should be back to normal 

I exercise every day, you have got some good advice here if I lived in Bangkok.

4 hours ago, balo said:

Maybe your diet is messed up ? Maybe you lack proteins, vitamins etc so it also disturb your sleeping pattern.

My diet was a bit messed up when I was in the UK, but it's back to normal now. I do drink a bottle of "all you need" from 7-11 every day.

4 hours ago, Denim said:

If you are losing sleep at night try Domirax, an anti histamine with the strongest drowsy side effects of any anti histamine. Won't put you to sleep but when you do drop off your sleep will last longer.

A lot better than Xanax and perfectly legal. Usually 30 baht for a sheet of 10. Don't settle for another anti histamine as they are not as effective. You might have to try several chemists but they can usually be found with effort.

They are a small blue lozenge shape

P_20181018_163157.jpg

P_20181018_163212_1.jpg

I think Sheryl has the best advice about what to take.

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

I'm not a doctor, but before you start taking any medicines suggested here, I'd suggest a checkup (full bood test on everything).

I think that if Sheryl says that a certain medicine is OK, then I don't think any check ups are necessary.

Don't resort to pharmaceuticals or bs caffeine drinks, unless you can overcome your dislike of coffee -- and I would recommend trying. Exposure to sunlight is the best thing. Don't sleep in a curtained room in the daytime. Good luck and sleep well...

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I think Sheryl has the best advice about what to take.

Up to you.

These were first recommended to me by a doctor at the Mayo hospital in Bangkok.

I was having trouble sleeping and had asked him for a prescription for Xanax. He refused pointing out they were illegal for good reason , being addictive.

He gave me these instead as they were anti histamine and non addictive, usually prescribed for allergies.

If you are apprehensive about taking any advice from posters the best thing is probably just to give it a bit of time until your body eventually gets back into its own natural rhythm.

You started this thread seeking advice from unqualified people.

If you are looking for expert qualified advice consult a qualified medical practitioner near where you live and ignore everything you read in this thread. Better safe than sorry. Where your health is concerned , best advice is professional advice....even it means getting a thorough medical check up.

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have been back to my normal eating rhythm for the past two weeks.

Then that trick doesn't really help. I haven't tried it myself, just read about it.

I had a funny period when I kept on waking up at 4am, 5am etc. Not during my normal waking hours of 9am to 11 am. 

I was puzzled why I woke up so early. I thought it was because I got new coffee machine and I was just too eager to get the good coffee in the morning ????

Anyway. I decided not to stress about what time I woke up and went to sleep. I enjoyed to see the first lights of the morning, which I haven't seen for the most times of my life. I simply decided to enjoy the moments of life, I haven't experienced before. 

I was happy to experience the different timing of life.

After some weeks, my routine got back to normal. I felt both good and also a bit sad. Waking up before sunrise was kind of cool experiment. 

Perhaps you also could simply enjoy this unusual time to wake up and go to sleep? 

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Up to you.

These were first recommended to me by a doctor at the Mayo hospital in Bangkok.

I was having trouble sleeping and had asked him for a prescription for Xanax. He refused pointing out they were illegal for good reason , being addictive.

He gave me these instead as they were anti histamine and non addictive, usually prescribed for allergies.

If you are apprehensive about taking any advice from posters the best thing is probably just to give it a bit of time until your body eventually gets back into its own natural rhythm.

You started this thread seeking advice from unqualified people.

If you are looking for expert qualified advice consult a qualified medical practitioner near where you live and ignore everything you read in this thread. Better safe than sorry. Where your health is concerned , best advice is professional advice....even it means getting a thorough medical check up.

You do talk a lot of sense, but Sheryl does have a lot of obvious medical knowledge and is always worth taking advice from.

Archived