How to stay Wide Awake.

NoshowJones

I do this every time I return from the U.S.  I stop off at duty free and get a big bottle of whatever strikes my fancy at the time. It's usually a choice of either Smirnoff's vodka or Jim Beam whiskey. My flight almost always gets me back to swampy noonish. Takes me 2-3 hours to get back to Jomtien. I settle back in, go to the store to get some comfort food, crack open the bottle, and drink myself silly. The next day I am so hung over I can hardly breath and sleep most of the day rehydrating and comfort fooding. By the following morning I'm as right as rain. No kidding!

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, but these energy drinks are full of calories, and although I am not overweight I do not want to be like most farangs here in Thailand.

Completely agree.  Have you thought about making cold brew coffee and then when you feel yourself flagging you can just have a bit (black if you like) to perk yourself up.   If you can't be bothered making cold brew then just make up a pot of instant coffee and put that in the fridge for the same purpose.   

Although if you go the caffeine route don't drink it after maybe 6pm (depending on what time you go to bed).

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Completely agree.  Have you thought about making cold brew coffee and then when you feel yourself flagging you can just have a bit (black if you like) to perk yourself up.   If you can't be bothered making cold brew then just make up a pot of instant coffee and put that in the fridge for the same purpose.   

Although if you go the caffeine route don't drink it after maybe 6pm (depending on what time you go to bed).

I do not drink coffee, never have done.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:52 PM, Vacuum said:

I'm not a doctor, but before you start taking any medicines suggested here, I'd suggest a checkup (full bood test on everything).

I do see your point, but why suggest a checkup? I know what is wrong, it is jet lag, that is now three weeks and I still wake up about 3am most mornings, then fall asleep through the day.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I do see your point, but why suggest a checkup? I know what is wrong, it is jet lag, that is now three weeks and I still wake up about 3am most mornings, then fall asleep through the day.

melatonin is usually suggested for jet lag...if yer sleepy during the day and not in work no harm in a short nap if not too late during the day...

for a lot of folks as we get older getting to sleep and staying asleep becomes harder and harder and then you havta pay closer attention to your sleeping arrangements (I've got black out curtains, good AC and a super comfortable - and expensive - western bed, all cotton bed linen, etc) and preparations for sleeping, ie. no caffeine after 3pm, etc, alcohol can screw things up as well...this has been since I turned 60 8 years ago...before not much of a problem...

by all means try and get 6 - 8hrs sleep in a 24hr period...chronic lack of sleep can cause serious health problems...

17 hours ago, quandow said:

I do this every time I return from the U.S.  I stop off at duty free and get a big bottle of whatever strikes my fancy at the time. It's usually a choice of either Smirnoff's vodka or Jim Beam whiskey. My flight almost always gets me back to swampy noonish. Takes me 2-3 hours to get back to Jomtien. I settle back in, go to the store to get some comfort food, crack open the bottle, and drink myself silly. The next day I am so hung over I can hardly breath and sleep most of the day rehydrating and comfort fooding. By the following morning I'm as right as rain. No kidding!

I so much like this reply! ????

On 10/18/2018 at 10:14 AM, Sheryl said:

Melatonin is very helpful for this, you can get it from Lazada. Take it at bedtime and you can repeat dose if you awaken in them iddle of the night (might want to get it in sublingual form for that purpose).

As much exposure to sunlight as possible during the day also helps.

Melatonin has never worked for me. What might I be doing wrong?

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

Melatonin has never worked for me.

It's working, I bought it from iHerb.com.  Normally I dream a lot when I sleep , I wake up from dreams. But with Melatonin , I sleep better and longer. 

22 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

melatonin is usually suggested for jet lag...if yer sleepy during the day and not in work no harm in a short nap if not too late during the day...

for a lot of folks as we get older getting to sleep and staying asleep becomes harder and harder and then you havta pay closer attention to your sleeping arrangements (I've got black out curtains, good AC and a super comfortable - and expensive - western bed, all cotton bed linen, etc) and preparations for sleeping, ie. no caffeine after 3pm, etc, alcohol can screw things up as well...this has been since I turned 60 8 years ago...before not much of a problem...

by all means try and get 6 - 8hrs sleep in a 24hr period...chronic lack of sleep can cause serious health problems...

I can't see jetlag developing into serious health problems, otherwise how does the airline cabin crew cope with it?

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I can't see jetlag developing into serious health problems, otherwise how does the airline cabin crew cope with it?

sorry, I referring to sleeping problems/disorders in general that can result from many things like apnea, insomnia, stress and etc...if you're still having jet lag symptoms 3 weeks after traveling you might wanna investigate...

btw I never taken melatonin for jet lag myself as I usually readjust to my normal sleeping pattern without assistance within about 24 - 36hrs...when my sleep problems got serious (ie, falling asleep in meetings at work and etc, struggling to stay awake when yer body is screaming for sleep is really bad for you) I went to a sleep lab and they determined that I had hypopnea (sorta like apnea but not as severe) and prescribed a CPAP machine which didn't help...then I started on the melatonin which has been the most effective...

if we're talking about jet lag only then sorry to go off topic...

45 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

sorry, I referring to sleeping problems/disorders in general that can result from many things like apnea, insomnia, stress and etc...if you're still having jet lag symptoms 3 weeks after traveling you might wanna investigate...

btw I never taken melatonin for jet lag myself as I usually readjust to my normal sleeping pattern without assistance within about 24 - 36hrs...when my sleep problems got serious (ie, falling asleep in meetings at work and etc, struggling to stay awake when yer body is screaming for sleep is really bad for you) I went to a sleep lab and they determined that I had hypopnea (sorta like apnea but not as severe) and prescribed a CPAP machine which didn't help...then I started on the melatonin which has been the most effective...

if we're talking about jet lag only then sorry to go off topic...

I have not used the melatonin yet as it has not came from Lazada, I did get a good sleep last night, so I will wait and see what happens tonight.

17 hours ago, balo said:

It's working, I bought it from iHerb.com.  Normally I dream a lot when I sleep , I wake up from dreams. But with Melatonin , I sleep better and longer. 

Nice! How much, how often?  I will try again. I just ordered some sublingual. I like the word. 555

On 10/18/2018 at 11:14 AM, Sheryl said:

Melatonin is very helpful for this, you can get it from Lazada. Take it at bedtime and you can repeat dose if you awaken in them iddle of the night (might want to get it in sublingual form for that purpose).

As much exposure to sunlight as possible during the day also helps.

Hello there Sheryl, your comment is probably the most helpful in such circumstance. I am always on the lookout for people who talk about Insomnia or anything concerning sleep because I had this problem 30 odd years back. Also interest about dreams.

Anyway I solved my sleep problem without any pills at all. Problem is I can't go around telling people how I did it because they will not believe me. They rather see the doctor and pay some money. It makes them feel good. So I let it be.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:13 AM, possum1931 said:

If you suffer from "jet lag" after 3 weeks, Im sure the reason is not "jet lag".

8 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

If you suffer from "jet lag" after 3 weeks, Im sure the reason is not "jet lag".

My sleep pattern has improved a lot, I am exercising and eating the same as before, and also have the same good appetite.

Actually the dose of melatonin can be up to 10 mg and people vary in their response -- also, being classed as supplements, the amount of active ingrediant is variable by brand and not necessarily as stated on the label. Perosnnaly I find 6-10 mg the best dose.

Melatonin works best for types of sleep problems related to low melatonin levels, e.g. jet lag and early wakening in older people.  It does not do much for people suffering from other types of insomnia especially anxiety related.

Archived