Video: Find this driver "lacking humanity" after tourist collision

webfact

4 hours ago, Stoker58 said:

Biker should have known better than to tailgate a pickup like that. This is Thailand. You have to drive defensively.

I'm sure I saw the bike flash it's lights. It looked like there was an incident early in the 

clip when the pick up drifted slightly into the path of the moped.

After which it seems like they went after the truck flashing lights.

All speculation on my part, before anyone points that out!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

The biker was tailgating the pickup, then swerving back and forth at the rear of the pickup and to the right side of the pickup that was impossible to overtake on that two lane road, and was intimidating. The pickup driver did not violently slam on his breaks, he just braked mildly to a complete halt.

Hopefully this will teach those boys riding a big bike that assumed the road belonged to them a lesson. No sympathy at all for those morons.

Look likes the bike also was giving big light signal at some moment, after that the pick up driver had enough of them.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Quite agree. It doesn't matter in which country you're driving, you need to leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle in front:

StoppingDistancesHighwayCode.png.eca83ca689f89ae90ea86f85ca3c1f3a.png

This definitely gave me a laugh, does not matter if you are doing 20kph here or 60-80kph you can pretty much guarantee that if there is someone behind you they will be a few metres at most away!

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

The driver of the pickup obviously doesn't like farang as this was a deliberate act to make them run into the back and to drive away makes it hit and run . 

...or he previously has been hit by this guy and want to give back...

6 hours ago, MrJerome said:

What a complete <deleted> <deleted>, to push his brakes like this.....but then....clearly an unexperienced motorbike driver and also one that has little knowledge of driving in Thailand.....could've avoided easily, and looks like the driver was trying to teach them a lesson....still a big <deleted> for doing so and should be punished if you ask me

He did more than that! He actually went into reverse. A little more difficult to avoid than simply braking. I call it as assault with a motor vehicle (considered a deadly weapon). Try this stunt with a law enforcement officer in my country or even someone armed and it could have a fatal outcome.

Yes, they were following too closely and maybe signaling something to the pickup driver, but we have to admit that there are better ways to deal with it than stopping and reversing, doncha think?

I have always have considered a tailgating driver as either reckless or signaling an intent/desire to pass and let them have their way any way I could. If I couldn't let them pass for some reason, I'd let them know that I didn't approve of their distance by weaving my car and not braking (sort of slaloming). I drove cars that had a sophisticated, GTO suspensions that made this slaloming look fairly dramatic and they would back off out of fear that I was losing control.

I would never have even considered doing what the pickup driver did. It could have resulted in an horrific pileup on a busy road. Obviously he had poor judgment (at a minimum). I'd even go as far as to guess that he was a drunk driver. Maybe the motorbike driver had been partaking as well, looking at the way he would utilize the hard shoulder early in the video and then shift to using the road (but maybe it was because there wasn't a shoulder to utilize when the pickup decided to do stunt driving.

The title to this should have been something like:

Reckless Pickup Driver Purposely Causes Accident With Tailgating Motorcycle.

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

The driver of the pickup obviously doesn't like farang as this was a deliberate act to make them run into the back and to drive away makes it hit and run . 

The scooter was following too closely. You hit someone from behind, you are at fault.

5 hours ago, Stoker58 said:

Biker should have known better than to tailgate a pickup like that. This is Thailand. You have to drive defensively.

Unexperienced farang driver indeed. TiT, drive defensively and don't challenge Thai drivers because they are King of the road. The pick up driver is a total moron and farang hater, that is obvious. Thai men, oh my God, not my cup of tea!

If you look good the car also backwards after braking for nothing. Its a deliberate act off trying to Murder someone on a motorcycles and the driver must be prosecuted.

Iff the biker be a Thai or farang don't have to be an issue. 

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes. there are definatly white reversing lights. However I did not see any brake lights. This wouldn't be the first time I've seen incorrectly wired rear light clusters.

Pushing the automatic gear shift from Drive into Park means it will pass thru. Reverse and engage the reversing lights, briefly...have you ever driven a car!

35 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Pushing the automatic gear shift from Drive into Park means it will pass thru. Reverse and engage the reversing lights, briefly...have you ever driven a car!

You'd nonetheless need a giraffe-like neck to see them from the drivers seat ????

Back to being serious; that stretch of road is uphill therefore I suspect this was nothing more than the result of the ol'foot-off-the-brake as per a bad hill start.

HTH

7 hours ago, Stoker58 said:

Right on, right on! Get one (or two) of these babies (road-adapted, of course):

Abrams_tank.jpeg

If you look to the right bottom corner of the video clip, then you can see the actual speed of the car filming....

You'l see the first car blocking the bike several times and slowing down / accelerating whenever the bike comes near to overtake.

You can clearly see the brake lights , the lights for reversing and so on... it looks as he has been "trolling" the bike untill he had some change to pull this kind of stunt...

( looks as 1 foot on the brake and 1 foot on the gas... ) check his lights when he speeds of

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Have you ever driven a manual shift? Because I very much doubt whether that rather aged pick up had an auto shift.

And even if it did, why would the driver put it into park anyway?

And I'm now eating my own words! I've rerun that video several times, and I'm now convinced that the pick up DID, in fact reverse into the motorcycle.

The motorcyclist was riding too close, that's for sure, but I don't see any brake lights on the pick up. (not uncommon here)  so he got suckered right in there and then the pick up reverses. The motorcycle is actually pushed back down the road.

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Have you ever driven a manual shift? Because I very much doubt whether that rather aged pick up had an auto shift.

And even if it did, why would the driver put it into park anyway?

Manual or auto, one doesn't throw a transmission into reverse while moving forward. I did this once in a Toyota Supra auto by accident at a fairly low speed without causing obvious damage. Throwing an auto into park while moving in either direction is an entirely different matter. If there is not an interlock to prevent it, this could damage the park components (flywheel, park pawl, etc). IMHO it would depend on the design, implementation and protection of the specific vehicle's park.

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

How could you possibly know that?  The driver is an <deleted>, he broke the law and there should be consequences, but for all we know from the video, maybe the driver IS furang!

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:
8 hours ago, Stoker58 said:

Quite agree. It doesn't matter in which country you're driving, you need to leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle in front:

Of course tailgating is a bad idea, but in Thailand most drivers do, so that alone does not explain the "attack".

...like it or not....has happened to me on bicycle....crossing over from the other direction....

...makes you wonder about a number of foreigners found dead on the road....

...with...'no other vehicles involved'.....

...no signs if no contact is made...or no witnesses come forward....

...same with this 'no sign of struggle' scenario we always hear about....

...oh well...

Archived