Big Joke going after his own incompetent men: Chiang Mai immigration under fire

webfact

9 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

In all honesty, in the 10 years I've been dealing with CM Imm, only once have I ever had a problem, and that was a minor one.  I've learned which are the best days and times to go for both my 90 day and yearly.  Yesterday I merely chalk up to new facility "jitters", but it was nothing serious.  And today, from the time I got out of the car, till the time I had my new 90 day, was less than 5 minutes. I have scanned color copies of my passport, 4 pages to a sheet of paper, as well as all relevant documents.  Once had a guy there tell me that if everyone did theirs the way I do mine, their job would be much easier, and faster.  But then, I've always been something of a fanatic for keeping things organized and neat. 

Same here. In 12 years I've never had a single problem with Immigration and am always finished in 1-3 hours the one time a year I have to go.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, scorecard said:

And roll on the day when it's in a database and you don't need new hard copies.

I've often wondered where all these documents are stored, how big the storage is and stored for how long.

seems to me the whole size would be a couple of major rice silos.

And what happens if old documents are needed for a court case or whatever? Is there a management system to find documents by dates / box numbers etc? Does the system work?

And finally i wonder what the annual cost of rental is for the storage facility / facilities?

Must be hundreds of millions of Baht.

Just to clarify:

Indeed all Papers have to be stored.

And the Immigration officers hate this paperwork.

However it is law.

And as long this law will not change.... pass Parliarment.... IT has to be exercised.

This told me the leading female officer at CM immigration 

40 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Just to clarify:

Indeed all Papers have to be stored.

And the Immigration officers hate this paperwork.

However it is law.

And as long this law will not change.... pass Parliarment.... IT has to be exercised.

This told me the leading female officer at CM immigration 

I already realized all of that.

13 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

In all honesty, in the 10 years I've been dealing with CM Imm, only once have I ever had a problem, and that was a minor one.  I've learned which are the best days and times to go for both my 90 day and yearly.  Yesterday I merely chalk up to new facility "jitters", but it was nothing serious.  And today, from the time I got out of the car, till the time I had my new 90 day, was less than 5 minutes. I have scanned color copies of my passport, 4 pages to a sheet of paper, as well as all relevant documents.  Once had a guy there tell me that if everyone did theirs the way I do mine, their job would be much easier, and faster.  But then, I've always been something of a fanatic for keeping things organized and neat. 

When I go for my 90 day report the only things I take are my passport and my wife. She waits in the car, while I go in and when I come out we drive back to Surin, after shopping at Tesco in Prasat.

Innovation at immigration, hmmm.

Bar codes in passports to make it easier and more efficient for reports. Have one in mine, never used, stopped before it started.

Ticket machines like they have in banks, great, that's what they used a few years ago. 

Online appointments coming maybe, yep, we used to have that facility also.

3 IO's used to deal with "retirement" extensions, Promenada usually one.

More staff, more staff on the important extensions, that is what they need.

16 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Its a shambles top to bottom should open 16hrs a day 7 days a week with lunch cover now call me BJ job done. 

Yes, I can understand you there, as for Big Joke is days are now numbered. Going after his own kind makes him a set up for disaster, like many before him he will end  up on the scrap heap somewhere of little importance 

12 hours ago, mindfulness said:

Only 500 baht for the certificate of residence. Chiang Mai female immigration low rank officer who deals with those certificates of residence may just then be pulling a fast one, for next day service 1000 baht she asked from me, I even demanded a receipt from them, she went out and bought a cheap non official one. I made sure they placed the immigration seal on it. Maybe i’ll send the Big Joke a copy. 

Please do.

In the last 4 years of needing to apply for my annual extension of stay based on retirement I have had to que up no later than 4am to ensure that I get processed that day. In every year the line of people also seeking extensions exceeded IMM arbitrary limits on the number of applicants they would process daily before the offices opened for business at 0830. And every year the first retiree was not seen befor 0900. 

'' Thai media said on Facebook that complaints came form the foreigners '' ........ I think you'll find 99% of those visiting Immigration are in fact foreigners...... durrr.

There are plenty more Immigration Offices that need a kick up the backside.... staff wearing scruffy jeans and T shirts and tables piled high with passport page photocopies and the odd lunch box. 

Based on comments from CM immigration customers I conclude that the services are slow and inefficient. This appears to be due to the processing rather than a lack of staff.  Perhaps it is deliberate to cause frustration among the CM foreigners applying for services,  with the end result being that the customer turns to the 'Visa agent' in order to streamline exactly what they should be able to do with CM immigration office. In theory,  the visa agent does very well financially and thus rewards the staff and management of the immigration office.

Over to the Jomtien office. Years ago when doing my annual extension I used to just walk in get a number and within moments was served only to be told no no, you need this and that and sent on my way. Often frustrated but follow the request and return again same day.  All accepted and stamped under consideration,  where it then goes to Bangkok for approval. I used to think of her as a bit rude and unreasonable,  but as the years passed I came to realise that she just required things to be presented in a certain way without all the extra crap.  Having finally mastered what I think she required it is usually a fairly smooth process,  but always with a minor copy of this or that,  but no big deal.  Especially now that the immigration office has their own photocopying for about 2 baht instead of having to go outside and pay 10 baht.  Anyway what I did notice is that these days the office does appear very full,  maybe at capacity. This IMO maybe due to a clamping down on the visa agents some time back,  but I still think my extension process is still handled in a reasonable time frame.  

So although Jomtien could improve processes and systems more, they are certainly on the right track and CM could learn a thing or two.

19 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

In all honesty, in the 10 years I've been dealing with CM Imm, only once have I ever had a problem, and that was a minor one.

I want to turn up in office hours and my application seen the same day. Your 'paperwork preperation' is irrelevant to this discussion.

In Suvannakhet, arrived at Thai consulate 8:50am, 10 people queuing before me, door opened 9am, out the door at 9:15am. It takes 1 minute per person to check paperwork.

No reason for CM immigration to be any slower, apart from agent/immigration organized corruption.

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Innovation at immigration, hmmm.

Bar codes in passports to make it easier and more efficient for reports. Have one in mine, never used, stopped before it started.

Ticket machines like they have in banks, great, that's what they used a few years ago. 

Online appointments coming maybe, yep, we used to have that facility also.

3 IO's used to deal with "retirement" extensions, Promenada usually one.

More staff, more staff on the important extensions, that is what they need.

Seems to me it should be a walk-in service for all transactions, with appropriate internal planning to ensure efficiency and with an internal rule that all customers must be out the door within say 15 minutes of arrival. And pretty much everything handled through up to date computerized and coordinated processes.

Many many other countries have this sort of policy for many different government agencies for decades, why not all Thai government agencies? 

17 hours ago, Gandtee said:

What worries me is that he does what they did when Dong Muang airport had big problems. They transferred officers from Swampy to dig it out of trouble. Please don't transfer anyone from Jomtien which runs efficiently like a well oiled machine. 

Not if you try to do an extension based on marriage then its welcome to your worst nightmare with the c.... at counter 6

Udon must have the best and quickest service,   separate desk inside the door,  old 90 day unclipped --signed a new yellow, clipped into passport  finished in 3 mins.  Thank you Udon immigration,   No need for the boss to come.

23 hours ago, keith101 said:

Is there any time when the Chinese don't complain and im not talking about just Thailand they are renowned for it all over the world .

I thought they were renown for gobbing all over the floor. ????

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

And roll on the day when it's in a database and you don't need new hard copies.

I've often wondered where all these documents are stored, how big the storage is and stored for how long.

seems to me the whole size would be a couple of major rice silos.

And what happens if old documents are needed for a court case or whatever? Is there a management system to find documents by dates / box numbers etc? Does the system work?

And finally i wonder what the annual cost of rental is for the storage facility / facilities?

Must be hundreds of millions of Baht.

Has Thailand heard of the cloud lol digital storage maybe there is a business opportunity here 

Hope for your guys that CM will improve. If I am in the country to visit my family I never had a problem with my Immigration in Phetchabun; very friendly and helpful people. Got my extension if needed without problems, as time of my stays vary due my job assignments.

After 25 years in LOS I have to admit is not always easy, but in the end manageable...and nobody is forcing us to stay. 

I have a question for anyone posting here who does not file their 90 day reports online.  How did you manage to turn on a computer and post here?

Its been up and working for ten months, on any browser.  The approval and PDF of your new permit takes less than a day to hit your email.

Archived