Big Joke going after his own incompetent men: Chiang Mai immigration under fire

webfact

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

The new office may be more modern and clean but all the usual inherent problems are still there.  Radical change is needed for things to improve but 'Temporarily transferring Officers' will not cure a single problem.    'Big Joke' needs to put a Senior Officer in charge at Chiang Mai with the same sort of gusto as he displays himself when dealing with matters, someone who is fully committed to the job and not just there as an overpaid figurehead that everyone must bow and wai to.   He also needs to put a once and for all stop to the 'Agency Racket' that is putting large amounts of money into Immigration Officers pockets whilst the queue's just get longer for 'Customers' (because that is what we are) who do not wish to use services that cost money for a job that is supposed to be a 'Service' supplied by the Thai Government free of charge other than the displayed fees.

Putting up 'No Tip' signs is about as useful as a Chocolate Teapot !

tip.jpg

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

In all honesty, in the 10 years I've been dealing with CM Imm, only once have I ever had a problem, and that was a minor one.  I've learned which are the best days and times to go for both my 90 day and yearly.  Yesterday I merely chalk up to new facility "jitters", but it was nothing serious.  And today, from the time I got out of the car, till the time I had my new 90 day, was less than 5 minutes. I have scanned color copies of my passport, 4 pages to a sheet of paper, as well as all relevant documents.  Once had a guy there tell me that if everyone did theirs the way I do mine, their job would be much easier, and faster.  But then, I've always been something of a fanatic for keeping things organized and neat. 

What all relevant documents?!?! You only have to fill in the form and give it in with your passport. No copies of anything!!

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

And today, from the time I got out of the car, till the time I had my new 90 day, was less than 5 minutes. I have scanned color copies of my passport, 4 pages to a sheet of paper, as well as all relevant documents.

In Hua Hin you don't need any documents to do a 90 day report, just your passport.

They just scan the passport, print something out and you're done.

What worries me is that he does what they did when Dong Muang airport had big problems. They transferred officers from Swampy to dig it out of trouble. Please don't transfer anyone from Jomtien which runs efficiently like a well oiled machine. 

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

They had a "appointment system" before, they 'have asked' for more funds for more IO's. The appointment system was canceled and 'no extra money' from BKK for more staff (according to the boss).

The reason for this are the agents.

Well, the people from the agency they reputedy own ...(next door, is it?) must just be really lucky getting extensions and visas done so easily while those who do it themselves have so many problems and have to wait all day and half the night. I am assuming all the stories we read from CM expat residents are true.

Just copy Jomtien and/or Hua Hin procedures, and the queues will drop away -but first get rid of the few possibly making money from (possibly) a corrupt service.

Just for the record, I don't include the lady 90 day officer who provides excellent service once you reach her. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

People complained of having to arrive early in the morning and wait all day to be seen. 

Oh, you mean like in Bangkok?  How about providing incentives to the staff and leadership to have people move through the system faster, and giving them the power to change things to make that happen?  Too sensible?  

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

In all honesty, in the 10 years I've been dealing with CM Imm, only once have I ever had a problem, and that was a minor one.  I've learned which are the best days and times to go for both my 90 day and yearly.  Yesterday I merely chalk up to new facility "jitters", but it was nothing serious.  And today, from the time I got out of the car, till the time I had my new 90 day, was less than 5 minutes. I have scanned color copies of my passport, 4 pages to a sheet of paper, as well as all relevant documents.  Once had a guy there tell me that if everyone did theirs the way I do mine, their job would be much easier, and faster.  But then, I've always been something of a fanatic for keeping things organized and neat. 

Am I correct in believing that for your 90 day report you have to submit copies of your passport . I have never done that in 13 years just turn up and confirm my address normally takes 10 minutes although a few years back I did wait for over two hours but in those days we had birdman and he loved to be tipped something I refused to do ! The only thing that is annoying is not being able to do the 90 day reporting on line as I have to get a ferry to get to immigration which is a pain in the butt.

Surat Thani is good too, you go in  and give the 90 day desk  lady your passport then take a seat, usually within 10 minutes or so they are returning your passport to you with the new 90 day paper stapled to the back page, even when the place is crowded it is no more than 30 minutes. Visa renewals can take a couple of hours depending on when you get there but have done it all inside an hour a few times, just have to make sure you have all the required pics/paper work, easy

For the past few years in Chaing Mai we would have to arrive at the Imm office 4 or 5am if we were doing a retirement extension or you might not get in that day and would have to do it all over again the next day.  I don't know what time the placeholders show up with a fist full of passports (visa agents) get there, they were always there before I got there.  if you got there after 5am you would not see an agent before late afternoon and for a while they were only giving out 20 numbers per day, not sure if they increased that or not, now in Phuket.  If you wanted to get an address certificate for buying selling a car or such then you would have to put it in and wait a month, but that was free, or go next door to the agent and pay B500 and get it the next day.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm beginning to think that the only way anything gets done in this God-xxxxxxxx country is when some Chinese complain!!!  That, apparently, manages to spur the Thais into action.

Next month I have a submit my 90 day report at Chiang Mai immigration.

Read your post and have devised a plan to get ahead of the queue.

me chinese.jpg

4 minutes ago, German farang said:

Is Big Joke now a "TV" reader? ????

Almost certainly the RTP and Immigration follow what is being said by farangs on sites such as TVF, one day that chicken will come home to roost for some and quite deservedly so.

Have been using immigration in Chiangmai for 16 years … there have been highs and lows … but more highs.

Been twice in the last 10 days to the new building … there are obviously some problems in the new venue … the obvious bottle neck being the 1 (sometimes 2) guys sitting outside the front door who hand out the appointment tickets and checks all documentation for everyone that visits (except for TM30) .. this is an area for attention that could result in an immediate improvement in efficiency.

I like the new 'Happy Queuing' App for iOS & Android … works well … recommended.

I like the new mini food court around the back.

I'd like to see someone being on duty during lunchtime 12:00-1:00 to answer question of new arrivals on what to do … even if only to clarify where they should wait.

I like the air conditioning … seemed to work well even with the large crowd waiting and with the front doors open.

Appreciate the extra car parking on the opposite side of the road even though it cost Baht20 … 

Following Pics may help

C2E8DB7A-549C-4D33-82FA-F6042E649F23.jpeg

69170725-F99F-46AA-8CC3-1D94086A372D.jpeg

869DCF1F-F684-48F1-81DF-1C71F2A6D447.jpeg

26F328C2-6162-41E3-BE83-DB43CDA277D6.jpeg

2B1DF589-EBBD-4179-84E6-9526FDAA1741.jpeg

A6FA6642-8196-4B80-9C29-5FF5FC8C5D7D.jpeg

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The new chief of immigration has responded to claims that Chiang Mai immigration is a mess. 

Ok!  If Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal follows though on this, I'll shut up and Big Joke becomes my official Thai hero! 

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

why do you need more than a TM47 for a 90 day report

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

'Big Joke' needs to put a Senior Officer in charge at Chiang Mai with the same sort of gusto as he displays himself when dealing with matters

"Big Joke needs to put a Senior Officer in charge at Chiang Mai with the budget and authority to make the types of radical changes needed to solve the over-crowding problem.  There have been more foreigners to process than they have the personnel and facilities to process and this has been known for years, put the problem has been ignored and dismissed.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that if you're turning away people seeking extensions of stay every single day - you have a problem!  Perhaps that will change now.  Only time will tell......

The only ill taste I’ve had with CM Immigration was when I used to classify reason for stay ‘In Support of Thai Wife and Family’. My 700,000 in the bank was not good enough even though the required amount was, and still is 400,000. They also wanting a emobossed letter from the embassy to endorse my yearly salary also. 

So so tell me, was I just being singled out, or was / is that normal ? 

I be the weird one .

Man has been in this position for less than a month.

What exactly qualifies him to comment how it should be done or what has been wrong ?

i really do not see him lasting for long time when all he does is step on peoples toes. 

47 minutes ago, flexomike said:

why do you need more than a TM47 for a 90 day report

Up here in pastoral Phichit, you don't even need a TM47 anymore. Just your little passport handed to one of the smiling staff and about a minute or less after they've scanned it and printed a new receipt you are out of there for another 90 days.

1 hour ago, suave said:

For the past few years in Chaing Mai we would have to arrive at the Imm office 4 or 5am if we were doing a retirement extension or you might not get in that day and would have to do it all over again the next day.  I don't know what time the placeholders show up with a fist full of passports (visa agents) get there, they were always there before I got there.  if you got there after 5am you would not see an agent before late afternoon and for a while they were only giving out 20 numbers per day, not sure if they increased that or not, now in Phuket.  If you wanted to get an address certificate for buying selling a car or such then you would have to put it in and wait a month, but that was free, or go next door to the agent and pay B500 and get it the next day.

Only 500 baht for the certificate of residence. Chiang Mai female immigration low rank officer who deals with those certificates of residence may just then be pulling a fast one, for next day service 1000 baht she asked from me, I even demanded a receipt from them, she went out and bought a cheap non official one. I made sure they placed the immigration seal on it. Maybe i’ll send the Big Joke a copy. 

Archived