Big Joke going after his own incompetent men: Chiang Mai immigration under fire

webfact

I disagree somewhat with #149 above.  I have never had a serious problem with extensions, re-entry visas, visa changes, 90-day reports, TM28 & 30 reports in well over ten years because I have done my homework and don't arrive without necessary "back-up," such as appropriate proof of income statements for extensions of stay, on extensions. I have never used an agent, but might in the future.

The only recurrent problem that I have encountered has been with long waits for one thing or the other from time to time.  That includes extensions (when it has not been possible to use the on-line booking system of old). And it used to be highly annoying for re-entry visas and residence letters, but they have improved procedures for all that over the years.

Other procedures can be relatively complicated.  An example is changing a tourist visa to something more durable.  On the other hand, some procedures have been tightened up simply due to excessive cheating and misuse by foreigners of visas.  Examples are marriages of convenience.  Another is education visas. 

I have experienced no changes in regulations.  No, Immigration has NOT moved the common regulatory goal posts (Maybe the new requirements about income will stick), BUT people have to be aware that officers are free to ask for additional information from time to time.  Hasn't ever happened to me, but certainly can happen.  

For a number of years, foreigners have been playing games with the regulations.  Some exxamples are given above.  Multiple visa runs is an example of this.  There has been a crackdown of sorts in this area, but when it was done, at least in Northern Thailand, there were ample warnings before black marks started to appear in passports.  Another major dodge --- spurious income ---  is now being seriously challenged.

I do believe that Chiang Mai Immigration senior management (and Region V management) have been behind the curve for a long, long time in dealing with the increasing influx of foreigners needing service.  And the bureau's efficiency is appalling when it comes to effective management systems.  Information about regulations and procedures for foreigners takes entirely too much time to dig up.  And, given that the Bureau deals with foreigners, information in English and other languages other than Thai is not sufficiently accessible ?  That's absurd!!  Thai is basically spoken only in Thailand !!  Other agencies, such as Land Transportation and Revenue, figured this out a LONG time ago.

Finally, some of the laws and the police orders with their regulations and procedures they have spawned need a long look with an idea of accomodating reality.  Some have led to totally unnecessary inefficiencies. 

For now, as with a lot of things everyone deals with in life that are annoying, but what's the use of carping about it.  Deal with it!  And do your homework!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/18/2018 at 4:33 PM, ukrules said:

In Hua Hin you don't need any documents to do a 90 day report, just your passport.

They just scan the passport, print something out and you're done.

Yeah Every office has its own way of doing 90 day reports.  A friend in Phichit tells me that they have no need for forms either.  Jut show your passport.   But we Farangs are used to Thai govt departments doing things their own sweet way, office by office.  They still require the TM47 form at Sri Racha, Chonburi.

20 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

I disagree somewhat with #149 above.  I have never had a serious problem with extensions, re-entry visas, visa changes, 90-day reports, TM28 & 30 reports in well over ten years because I have done my homework and don't arrive without necessary "back-up," such as appropriate proof of income statements for extensions of stay, on extensions. I have never used an agent, but might in the future.

The only recurrent problem that I have encountered has been with long waits for one thing or the other from time to time.  That includes extensions (when it has not been possible to use the on-line booking system of old). And it used to be highly annoying for re-entry visas and residence letters, but they have improved procedures for all that over the years.

the saying "two wrongs don't make a right" comes to mind.  1.  as many point out (including you i think) the system is really slow and for many foreigners complicated.  yes, many also do not do well understanding the "requirements" and it took me some time to get used to how to do things. (Go there VERY prepared). On the other hand i did go once or twice and as sweet a guy as i am and as humble as i tried to be.... the IO or an assistant was not very pleasant.  Does anyone remember the person who took photos a few years ago that would have you sit and wait for 15 minutes sometimes while he/she gossiped and pretty much ignored you.  ok,  there are always some gonna be bad.    2. which brings me to point number two which is many farangs get upset very easily and start acting foolish and belligerent. NOT the way to get what you want, here or almost anywhere.  

In summary, i would still have to side with those who are really pissed at the way things are run. Putting up with it or using an agent or just bitching.... it still is a fact that things in CM are run very poorly and that a much better system could easily ( i believe) be put in place .  Free pizza for everyone !

On 10/18/2018 at 4:50 PM, keith101 said:

Is there any time when the Chinese don't complain and im not talking about just Thailand they are renowned for it all over the world .

Well..at least they have more cojones then the "farang" who gravely inform us that it is all part of the culture and they should know being here for 37 years plus...

The Chinese know that it is all balls..

2 hours ago, Mapguy said:

For now, as with a lot of things everyone deals with in life that are annoying, but what's the use of carping about it.  Deal with it!  And do your homework!

I always did my 'homework'.  Always had all the paper work done, double checked, all the photocopies, photos and signatures etc.  Did not stop me waiting 10 hours to get a simple thing done.  Nor did it stop the guy in charge at the time stopping processing my documents when he saw a buss load of Korean college girls enter the room... which he gladly allowed the 10 of them to push in front of me and proceeded to have his photo taken giving them lots of hugs and squeezes, so I had to wait a further hour... 

Nor did it stop me turning up for my appointment one day... to have to wait 2 hours after the time set, then to be told to go home and make another appointment as the guy decided to go on a photo selfie shoot with his army friends out the back.

And I, like many other people are quite right to have a 'carp' about having to go to the place at 4am to get a ticket number..... (Once I made the mistake of going at 5.30 and was told all the numbers were already used up for the day....).

However, as I said before.... the majority of my visits there I had no problems.... but I have lost count of the number of times I had to go to that place, so there is always the probability that once of twice out of many times there will be a bad experience.

I have always had a soft spot for the Ubon/Phibun/Princess Sirinthorn office.

I thought that they were extremely professional and quite helpful. and I rarely see them mentioned

I always tried to keep the paperwork up to date but one never knows...

Good people.

From years ago-they were amazed by my delight with their little orchid garden..

DSCN0198.JPG

DSCN0211.JPG

DSCN0213.JPG

4 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Yeah Every office has its own way of doing 90 day reports.  A friend in Phichit tells me that they have no need for forms either.  Jut show your passport.   But we Farangs are used to Thai govt departments doing things their own sweet way, office by office.  They still require the TM47 form at Sri Racha, Chonburi.

"But we Farangs are used to Thai govt departments doing things their own sweet way, office by office."

"I have a dream" of thousands of expats trawling from one Immigration Office to another with copies of bank statements trying to get an annual extension!

Well well well, for the farangs who say they never have issues with CNX Immigration dont complain here its all OK for them , that should cut down the postings by 50%.  CNX Immigration has a history of corruption and poor service. Get the idea that's why Big Joke came to the location to see what to do. Only time will tell if there is a sustainable change. For all the other immigration centres across Thailand those farangs who live in CNX  farangs dont care as we cant go to them to report. Phew????

9 hours ago, sambum said:

"But we Farangs are used to Thai govt departments doing things their own sweet way, office by office."

"I have a dream" of thousands of expats trawling from one Immigration Office to another with copies of bank statements trying to get an annual extension!

Very difficult times ahead for some UK & USA citizens.   And unfortunately you cannot get it done in another province office.  I assume that provinces that have more than one office might be OK.

Archived