Video: Black tourist taken off the street in Pattaya for not having his passport

webfact

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Those other  issues are also being addressed .

Its the law of Thailand , as in some other Countries , all people must carry I.D. at all times  

Parking in a no parking zone is also against the law too. That doesn't mean they should report in the news when someone gets a parking fine. News stories over such trivial matters like this makes important stories seem less important, and wrongly creates an impression that foreigners are dangerous criminals.  

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I have heard the Thai girls sometimes when watching a music video say "chocolate man looks good".  A somewhat accurate description of some people's skin color.  But it is not commonly used in the west to describe a person of African Descent

Yes, Chocolate was downgraded after New Orleans Mayor used it to describe his city.  Problem was the 'c-word' was already spoke for so Chocolate went out of favor.

20 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Those other  issues are also being addressed .

Its the law of Thailand , as in some other Countries , all people must carry I.D. at all times  

i am beginning to think you are that insidious Little P in disguise. 

Should you feel the need you can even take it as as compliment ????

19 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Parking in a no parking zone is also against the law too. That doesn't mean they should report in the news when someone gets a parking fine. News stories over such trivial matters like this makes important stories seem less important, and wrongly creates an impression that foreigners are dangerous criminals.  

Parking in a no parking spot isnt reported though .

In this day and age , media outlets have a lot of column inches to fill on a daily basis , so, quite often mediocre stories are reported on 

I dont trust anyone in uniform legite or not. Way too many stories of fake cops and immigration imbociles.
I wouldnt want them in my room.

When will Thais stop the racism. Heres news for all the Thais. Most farangs including blacks couldnt careless about enslaving thais and taking over. We ArENT yOu! After all thats where the eacism stems from by the looks of how Thais act.

There is a few criminal blacks like all races but for the most part its small potatoes. MUCH bigger stuff to be worried about.

18 hours ago, iamsano said:

three people were arrested but the headline is black tourist.. not professional at all. last week it was black criminals but they all had visas... stop being racists and provide the right news

How many times have I had this argument with other foreigners - either you carry a valid photo Thai ID that shows that you are legal in the country or a passport or you stand to be arrested. No matter how many times were are told that you can walk around as a foreign tourist without your passport, the fact is that plenty foreign tourists get arrested for not having their passports on their person in Thai cities and not all of them are black.

12 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Rambling and drunk describes a bloody big part of the Patta tourist population!!

A black Russion mmmmm that was a favourite cocktail that my Gran used to drink...Vodka, coke and something I think.....now clearly he was from camaroon which, coincidently was Gran's favourite biscuit. What are the odds?

Good thinking , need to Digest further , what would happen if you went into a bar in Patts and said ' What I really want is a Black Russian ? '

A lot of hype on here today about calling a black man a black man. Ok this is not Kansas nor Cornwall where one has to be so PC , I think it is refreshing to say a black chap was arrested , there my 25 Satang's worth.

10 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

"unspecified nationality who was rambling and drunk."

All sorted now.  He was from England.

Does Patts. have a rambling club ?  My parents before WW2 belonged to one .

Tommy Cooper .  ' I phoned up the rambling club , and they went on and on '.

19 hours ago, johng said:

He says  his passport is in his bag at the hotel  which is "just there"...

and "no I don't walk with my passport at this time"

So why on earth they dragged him off to immigration  instead of going to the "just over there" hotel room to look in his bag ?????????

Because its his job to have an id on him ,and not the police job to go with him to get it ,so they are alowed to bring him to the police station and let a friend bring it there.  and if at the police station they find out he doesn't have a friend to bring it ,they will take his key and go get it and search the room as well . This is a good way to do this and how it should be done .

SUGGESTION to all resident foreigners and travelers ...

* Go to the nearest KODAK shop and ask them to make a laminated photocopy of your passport ID page.

* Carry that with you at all times and leave your original passport in a safe place. 

55 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

The original story lacks quite a few details. The Pattaya News story I linked to gives more details and this guy was only one of 20 that were picked up on that night in spot checks mainly on Walking St on tourists/foreigners who were held at Soi9 until someone brought their passport for them - three overstsyers caught.

* Go to the nearest KODAK shop and ask them to make a laminated photocopy of your passport ID page.

* Carry that with you at all times and leave your original passport in a safe place. 

Done it 10 years ago (& Visa on the back of credit card sized copy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, iamsano said:

three people were arrested but the headline is black tourist.. not professional at all. last week it was black criminals but they all had visas... stop being racists and provide the right news

Exactly...if I were a Thai tourism person, this s..t would make me cringe. Notice to those <deleted> police who look for people that that have every right to be  in Thailand...."Watch your backs".

18 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I think Thai immigration reads TVF, and because of the biased and racist attitudes expressed on this forum by many members, I suspect that immigration has concluded that crackdowns and profiling of black visitors to the Kingdom is tacitly approved of by the general expat community.

In my opinion, this is looking more and more like racial harassment and profiling. The foreign community here needs to start speaking out against this unequal treatment which goes against Western values that all people should be treated equally. Thailand also needs to reflect on how they treat visitors may negatively impact how Thais are treated and received abroad.

I observed the young black males around Nana and soi 13 and I hope they ask them all for their passports. They sell drugs, pick pocket and hang out. They don’t buy beer in bars or ST Thai women. If they are here legally then fine but I doubt seriously they are all here legally and they are all working the street.  Does not mean you have to stop everyone in Nana or soi 13. It is ok and proper to Target this well defined group of young black males. Would say the same if this group was young white males or young Asian males. But use the word black and people lose their common sense and shout racism and start verbal assaults of “holy versus unholy” which is not helpful or productive IMO. 

8 minutes ago, TMNH said:

Exactly...if I were a Thai tourism person, this s..t would make me cringe. Notice to those <deleted> police who look for people that that have every right to be  in Thailand...."Watch your backs".

No, they Police are looking for people who have no right to be in Thailand , they are not concerned with people here legally 

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

No, they Police are looking for people who have no right to be in Thailand , they are not concerned with people here legally 

So please tell me "how" you determine who is legal and who is illegal?

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

I dont trust anyone in uniform legite or not. Way too many stories of fake cops and immigration imbociles.
I wouldnt want them in my room.

When will Thais stop the racism. Heres news for all the Thais. Most farangs including blacks couldnt careless about enslaving thais and taking over. We ArENT yOu! After all thats where the eacism stems from by the looks of how Thais act.

There is a few criminal blacks like all races but for the most part its small potatoes. MUCH bigger stuff to be worried about.

"Most farangs including blacks............"

It is a special "privilege" to be a farang in Thailand :wink: (those of European descent or white race.)

Africans are not farangs and Thais refer to them as khon dam. 

1 minute ago, TMNH said:

So please tell me "how" you determine who is legal and who is illegal?

Those who have a visa are legal and those who dont have a visa , are not legal .

If people sell drugs , then that makes them committing illegal acts

1 hour ago, kentrot said:

Superseded by copy on your phone and in the cloud around a decade ago although I still carry A4 spares in the car along with copy of DL.

I never carried my passport with me, kept in the safety in my room but i always had my state id card with me.
I am a smoker, i was walking down the lower Sukhimvit road in Bangkok, i did not find any place to trash my cigarette away. I dont throw it anywhere in my home country and i dont do it in Thailand either.
I carried the smoke butt with me until i saw a water or sewage drainage i dumped in it, a cop saw me doing it, -- actually i was probably asking for it, because i was watching them that they were pulling over motorbikes and i was laughing at them --, he asked me i had my passport with me. I said NO. He made sure that i had thrown away my cig butt
I didnt deny and told him tha i didnt see any ashtray to put it out for at least 2 miles walk.
Anyways, they checked my id, gave me 500 THB ticket, and he told me that max penalty is 2000 THB. I paid to the officer right there, we were in peace.
I didnt have to tell them my passport in the safety at my room.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Archived