Video: Black tourist taken off the street in Pattaya for not having his passport

webfact

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something wrong here... He has his Passport in the Hotel room as he told em multiple times. According to the law, isn’t it ok to have a copy of Passport and Visa with  you? At least in your cellphone? As I surely never would have my original Passport with me every time too. Especially when going out at night??

21 hours ago, johng said:

He says  his passport is in his bag at the hotel  which is "just there"...

and "no I don't walk with my passport at this time"

So why on earth they dragged him off to immigration  instead of going to the "just over there" hotel room to look in his bag ?????????

Bc this Country is probably still 3rd world. Even officials are interpreting the so called “law” differently from case to case, like they need it? 

There is no legal certainty here, it has never existed. We have to live with it or have to leave. 

10 minutes ago, Superphoenix said:

Something wrong here... He has his Passport in the Hotel room as he told em multiple times. According to the law, isn’t it ok to have a copy of Passport and Visa with  you? At least in your cellphone? As I surely never would have my original Passport with me every time too. Especially when going out at night??

It is quite acceptable to have a copy of your PP with you , either a photocopy or a photo on your phone .

A photo on your phone of the PP first page and the visa is adequate 

2 hours ago, amse said:

Apparently he hasn't been informed that a copy of his passport/visa will do. And talking to loud to officers is bad manners.

Well, most tourists probably don't know of this requirement. I'm not aware of it in other countries, and I travel overseas at least twice a month. I don't recall seeing signs at Thai airports either highlighting this requirement. So how is the average tourist to learn of this? 

As for talking loudly to officers, well I'd be pretty damn frustrated in any country if police walked up to me and asked to see my passport. I agree it might not be smart, but frustration is understandable ...

So the majority are actually saying that they don't have a photocopy of their passport/visa in their pocket?, very easy to do, never know when your going to need it, exchange money etc, just common sense imho, that tablet that he is poking his finger at is probably trying to locate his identity to no avail, that's why they took him away.

21 hours ago, iamsano said:

three people were arrested but the headline is black tourist.. not professional at all. last week it was black criminals but they all had visas... stop being racists and provide the right news

Who are the racists? The ones reporting the news or the ones rounding up people that have darker skin?

23 hours ago, balo said:

Well he could have told them his passport was in the hotel room, but it seems to me he didnt know if he had a passport.

It sounded as if he was trying to tell them his passport was in his bag in his hotel room. 

I have travelled all over the world and normally like to leave my passport in a safety box at my hotel. I don't want it to get lost or stolen on the street or worn out from being in my pocket.

You also have to understand that the immigration officials are simply doing their job. This is what they have been ordered to do by Big Joke and Prawit, for 30 days.

Keep those two names in mind.

They are coming for all of you.

There are always a few dolts who leap at the chance to complain about PC and babble on about Sukhumvit Soi 3. Boring.

Just have a copy of your passport with you over the next 30 days, regardless of race, colour, creed.

Picture on phone will not do.

It's all connected. So anyone can be caught up. Those who bleat on about others and proclaim themselves to be do gooders can get caught up too. Overstayers aren't just people of colour.

So have your copies ready, at least until the end of the month.

5 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"Most farangs including blacks............"

It is a special "privilege" to be a farang in Thailand :wink: (those of European descent or white race.)

Africans are not farangs and Thais refer to them as khon dam. 

Please enthrall us with tales about the privileges and perks you enjoy by being a farang in Thailand. I ask because all I have ever heard about on this forum is how Thais secretly can't stand farangs and are only after their money.

You may have browbeat your wife into following the above racial nomenclature, but I can assure you that the vast majority of Thais use farang as a general term to describe "Western foreigners." It may stick in your craw to share a label with black Africans, but it's true.

You think school children, house wives, and market vendors are going through an intricate racial calculus, carefully deliberating, pow-wowing, and checking racial lineages before they bestow the hallowed term "farang" on someone? LOL.

Fortunately for some and unfortunately for others, Thais aren't obsessed with race (like so many forum members), and mostly judge people on their demeanor and character, not on the amount of melanin in their skin.

4 hours ago, Superphoenix said:

No..

27 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Fortunately for some and unfortunately for others, Thais aren't obsessed with race (like so many forum members), and mostly judge people on their demeanor and character, not on the amount of melanin in their skin.

Your quote: Thais aren´t obsessed with race.

One of the most naive and uninformed comments I have ever read.

They even can discriminate against the color of the skin of their own countrymen.

God man, hope some day you figure it out.......

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

No, they Police are looking for people who have no right to be in Thailand , they are not concerned with people here legally 

It is absolutely wonderful to get  away from people like you.

I  never really liked the cut of the SS Victor Meldrew's" jib but you might have a different take on nautical  architecture.

If so..please eructate away.

20 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

It is absolutely wonderful to get  away from people like you.

I  never really liked the cut of the SS Victor Meldrew's" jib but you might have a different take on nautical  architecture.

If so..please eructate away.

Although you arent exactly "away" from me are you ?

You are here on TV with me .

Have the Police arrested anyone who hasnt done anything wrong ?

No, they havent 

On 10/18/2018 at 3:51 PM, iamsano said:

three people were arrested but the headline is black tourist.. not professional at all. last week it was black criminals but they all had visas... stop being racists and provide the right news

"stop being racist" ... it would suffice already to not talk about a black tourist but just about "a tourist" - and then publish his photo

it seems to me he was right up in the policemans face straight away, aggresive behaviour will get you nowhere in thailand and rightly so, he's obviously not happy with the outcome so i would expect him to be on the next available flight home, where he can report it to the local press and tell his countrymen what it is like in thailand.

21 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Rambling and drunk describes a bloody big part of the Patta tourist population!!

A black Russion mmmmm that was a favourite cocktail that my Gran used to drink...Vodka, coke and something I think.....now clearly he was from camaroon which, coincidently was Gran's favourite biscuit. What are the odds?

also a cigarette brand ?????

7 minutes ago, MUSICMAN16 said:

why immigration

why cant they take him to his hotel

then if he has no passport at his hotel then take him to the detention centre

seems wrong to me???

Then , you would have the situation where no one carrys I.D. with them and when the Police ask someone for their I.D, they would have to go with them to their house .

The Police would spend the whole day going to peoples houses

10 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

these days most countries require people to carry an official form of identification. Thai people have to carry their id card with then at all times (and they sometimes get fined if caught without it). In most countries it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between locals and foreigners so a lesser form of id such as a local driver's license would be ok. (not sure if it is still correct, but as far as I know, in the past, a local police officer in the us and in Australia could demand an id but couldn't demand to see a passport of another form of id was given. However federal police on both countries could demand to see a passport). in Thailand it is much easier to spot a non local which might require a proof of legally being here

the vote went against ID cards in the UK, ive never understood why

No group in his country gets racially profiled or discriminated against more than.. the Thai.  My brother in-law (Thai wifes brother) is working class, works at a cement factory, the police constantly pull him over, stop him, ask him if he's on drugs.. one time they threw him in jail just because he mis-spoke about ya-ba.. even though he wasn't on it or had any in his possession..  20 years ago when i first came out here Thai GFs male family memebers would get accused of stealing motorbikes when they came to see her at her condo just because some motorbikes had been stolen.. it's just that it's Thai people giving a hard time to Thai people..and their in the same social class.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:21 PM, NanLaew said:

I guess walking while black IS an issue here after all.

actually the word has grown up, thankfully.  But if ANY other color is apprehended 'while walking' that is ok? All foreigners, no matter the color break Thai immigration laws.

"BLACK TOURIST TAKEN OFF THE STREET IN PATTAYA FOR NOT HAVING HIS PASSPORT" 

This headline tell me that every black man has to be looking over his shoulder wondering when he is going to be stop, and ask for his passport. This a racist act and Thailand will get into trouble if this continues. " The passport is a valuable item and should be safe guarded at all times and there are many pick pockets in Thailand, and should you lose your passport, there is a lot of interrogation will be put though before you can get another one. " There were three men without passports, but you only shown the black as the headline. That tells me and others that you only want European, and other Asia countries in Thailand, so they can do as they please with mafia actions without any recourse of actions. 

This Thai men on Black men will not last very long, one day you will challenge the wrong Black man and he will let all the News Media in America and especially CNN who will show how treat Black men in your country. This will cause a change in how Thai people are treated in America.  There are thousands of Thai people in America, and not are welcome. When an American is not being treated fairly in another country we American stick together to make it right.

Archived