"Scouser" faces 10 years for Chiang Mai graffiti

webfact

"Scouser" faces 10 years for Chiang Mai graffiti

2pm1.jpg

Thai media reported that two people are in custody after the spray paint inscription "Scouser Lee B" appeared on the historic Tha Pae gate in Chiang Mai.

One of them is 23 year old Lee Furlong from Liverpool.

The other is Brittney Schneider, also 23, from Canada.

The pair were staying at the Mad Monkey Hostel in the northern Thai capital. 

Their continued stay in Thailand could be a very long one possibly in somewhere colloquially known as the "Monkey House"

They have been charged with damaging a historical site - this carries a top fine of one million baht or a ten year jail term - or both.

S__8110093-1-696x522.jpg

They were caught after clear evidence from CCTV. They were then taken on a reenactment to the Northern gate, one of five historical gates in the city, reported Thai PBS.

Thai netizens demanded that the police throw the book at them for the criminal damage that has now been removed by municipal cleaners.

Furlong said that "Scouser" relates to people from his hometown Liverpool where he supports the team that play in red, reported Thai Rath. 

Lee, he said, is his name. 

Meanwhile accomplice Brittney said she appended the letter B by which she is known.

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPFCPMMFrgkqsUZWK7B3bRroX73GYr.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A can of black spray paint - allegedly found in the street - was used in the crime. 

Two other drunks who were seen with them but who were not involved in the crime were let off with a warning by the Chiang Mai police.

The graffiti suspects appear to be in custody ahead of a court appearance. 

More about their sentence as we hear of it. 

Sources: Thai PBS, Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-19

2pm2.jpg

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPFCPMMFrgkqsUZWK4BWuWbJmsASIC.jpg

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Far better to make them clean graffiti off Chiang Mai walls and collect rubbish for 6 months. Prison sentences waste money, make them work a little and see the error of their ways.

I was thinking the same thing. Make them CLEAN. It's a classic punishment for such crimes. 

About a prison sentence. A short one would be a punishment that would get their attention even though I think cleaning is better. A really long one would basically ruin their lives so it's not really a matter of learning a lesson. 

13 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Far better to make them clean graffiti off Chiang Mai walls and collect rubbish for 6 months. Prison sentences waste money, make them work a little and see the error of their ways.

Agree, then kick them out and ban them from returning.

As with many things Thai punishment is over the top, a fine and being black listed should suffice. There is historical Graffiti in Egyptian tombs and Roman catacombs, it has always existed, it seems to be human nature to want to leave your mark. When does graffiti become art i.e lascaux cave paintings or Banksy?

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Total fools to do such a thing in a foreign country to an ancient structure, but 10 years? Seriously? 

Ten years is the maximum sentence for their crime . 

They wont get the maximum sentence , they will probably just get a fine  

It’s hard to have any kind of sympathy for them but the sentence is tough. They probably thought they would get treated the same as they would in the U.K. with a “naughty boy don’t do it again” type of sentence. Welcome to Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Maximum sentence of 10 years and or 1 million baht fine. Thats the maximum they wont get anything like that. They can't complain if they end up in jail for a few months and have to pay for the damage. These are the kind of people who shouldn't have a passport for their own benefit.

2 minutes ago, PJPom said:

I think a reasonable fine, enough to hurt, and immediate deportation back to country of origin at their cost with the stamp never to return would be appropriate.

How is that going to hurt them?

They would have been returning home anyway, at the end of their written 'essay'.

I can't see how preventing their return would hurt them, they'd probably revel in the notoriety.

A heavy fine, short stay behind bars (enough to worry them), community service "cleaning" until they are allowed leave, which would be after their current return flight departure date, so a more expensive one-way ticket would be needed to get home.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Total fools to do such a thing in a foreign country to an ancient structure, but 10 years? Seriously? 

That is the worst case scenario for these.
I believe that is intended for serious material damage to venerated sites.
I am hoping they are handed a hefty fine, and maybe suspended sentence and blacklisted for five years.
I suspect they would get the point, and probably satisfy the head hunters.

2 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

thats a girl? really or an over grown mummys boy thats never seen the light of day. Worlds a strange place nowadays... 

Yes, the accused include one male and one female. The female does appear on the butch side, for whatever relevance that has. (None.)

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yer,... it probably should have been longer....... but you take what you can....maybe their be tougher with the next one.

1 hour ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Maximum sentence of 10 years and or 1 million baht fine. Thats the maximum they wont get anything like that. They can't complain if they end up in jail for a few months and have to pay for the damage. These are the kind of people who shouldn't have a passport for their own benefit.

Not paying for drinks in Bangkok, kiddy fiddling and shop lifting in Pattaya, running down and killing locals in their mercs in Chiang Mai and Phuket, starting brawls in Hua Hin, fake rape reports and counterfeiting on the islands, and now the mindless vandalism on historical sites.

I was speaking to a Brit the other day who was complaining about all the foreigners who had taken over London and their poor behavior.

And no doubt the British Embassy will be bending over backwards to provide this Scouse git with whatever "consular services" he might require during any stay in the Bangkok Hilton - completely free of charge, of course.

While at the same time throwing those of us needing income confirmation letters to the wolves.

Archived