"Scouser" faces 10 years for Chiang Mai graffiti

webfact

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ParadiseLost said:

Punishment should fit the crime, if the paint has already been removed there is no lasting damage. A jail sentence would be excessive imo.

To really deter such people, tattoo their foreheads with "RETARD", and kick them out the country.

A jail sentence would be excessive, just tattoo their foreheads with "retard" you think? ????

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

but 10 years? Seriously? 

Won't happen , a good lawyer should get him out of this mess. After all how can a young tourist understand he spray painted an historic or holy wall ? If it was just a normal wall , he would pay a small fine and they would let him go.  

I can't see it happening, they will let him go after paying a hefty fine , but not 1 million....

3 hours ago, balo said:
20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

but 10 years? Seriously? 

Won't happen , a good lawyer should get him out of this mess. After all how can a young tourist understand he spray painted an historic or holy wall ? If it was just a normal wall , he would pay a small fine and they would let him go.  

I can't see it happening, they will let him go after paying a hefty fine , but not 1 million....

None of that, he will get off easy ..... but only after the powers that be milk it down to the last drop of negative press, then show their charity and forbearance by letting the scouse go home to scouseland.   :biggrin:   Woohoo and what fun

9 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Must be awful being perfect like you and us mere mortals constantly failing to come up to your exacting standards!

You must have lead an amazing totally crime free life and never so much has took a bar of chocolate when the shopkeeper wasn't looking.

Oh, to be perfect.

You're using a strawman argument now and it makes you look pathetic and bereft of any wit. What I've never done is needlessly deface something in another country (or my own for that matter) while there on holiday. Especially not something that is clearly quite important to the local people, whether built in the last 30 or last 800 years. 

4 hours ago, balo said:

They Pay ?.. The Brit Taxpayer  will pay by the looks of them. Bet their on Security at the moment looking for a job they never take anyway. EU Malaise.

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

You're using a strawman argument now and it makes you look pathetic and bereft of any wit. What I've never done is needlessly deface something in another country (or my own for that matter) while there on holiday. Especially not something that is clearly quite important to the local people, whether built in the last 30 or last 800 years. 

Off topic a little. 

I "needlessly deface(d)" the side of a sandstone cliff with a can of black spray paint when I was a young teenager living on a military base in the United States.  I got a way with it too, I thought.  

40 years later I was being interviewed for my security clearance that I needed to keep the Federal Government job I was working at. 

The interviewer scared the heck out of me when he asked me why I had spray painted an obscenity on a cliff wall at that military base when I was there as a teenager!  

15 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Off topic a little. 

I "needlessly deface(d)" the side of a sandstone cliff with a can of black spray paint when I was a young teenager living on a military base in the United States.  I got a way with it too, I thought.  

40 years later I was being interviewed for my security clearance that I needed to keep the Federal Government job I was working at. 

The interviewer scared the heck out of me when he asked me why I had spray painted an obscenity on a cliff wall at that military base when I was there as a teenager!  

That is incredible! The government never forgets!

They fly all the way from the UK to the magical Thai city of Chiang Mai. Gateway to the ancient Lanna culture renown for beauty, generosity and kindness. They see a can of spray paint and start <deleted>$king up the magnificent ancient wall that has kept the city safe for over 700 years. Then to further mock the countries laws as well as the Royal Thai Police they chose clothing with an inappropriate image when they admit their crime and appeal for mercy.  Too bad Buddhist don't perform crucifixions.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:54 AM, Jingthing said:

Total fools to do such a thing in a foreign country to an ancient structure, but 10 years? Seriously? 

Are you seriously asking that question?  It's clear from all the reports that 10 years is the maximum sentence, it's not mandatory.  

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, Just1Voice said:

I have no sympathy for people who do crap like this, but 10 years is a bit stiff.  Murderers in Thailand sometimes don't even get that.  But 2 years, with no early release, would be fine.

He will not get 10 years, that is the maximum.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:20 PM, anterian said:

As with many things Thai punishment is over the top, a fine and being black listed should suffice. There is historical Graffiti in Egyptian tombs and Roman catacombs, it has always existed, it seems to be human nature to want to leave your mark. When does graffiti become art i.e lascaux cave paintings or Banksy?

When? Never. 

Where there laws about graffiti at the time you claim it was done in Egyptian tombs and Roman catacombs or was it the normal thing to do at the time?

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:09 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes, the accused include one male and one female. The female does appear on the butch side, for whatever relevance that has. (None.)

"The female does appear on the butch side, for whatever relevance that has. (None.)"

Why mention it then?

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, OJAS said:

And no doubt the British Embassy will be bending over backwards to provide this Scouse git with whatever "consular services" he might require during any stay in the Bangkok Hilton - completely free of charge, of course.

While at the same time throwing those of us needing income confirmation letters to the wolves.

You'd be the first to complain if the Embassy staff didn't assist an arrested British national, now you're saying that they shouldn't?

The Embassy has not thrown anyone to the wolves, it is Immigration that has changed the requirements, nothing to do with the Embassy.

Archived