"Scouser" faces 10 years for Chiang Mai graffiti

webfact

1 hour ago, anterian said:

As with many things Thai punishment is over the top, a fine and being black listed should suffice. There is historical Graffiti in Egyptian tombs and Roman catacombs, it has always existed, it seems to be human nature to want to leave your mark. When does graffiti become art i.e lascaux cave paintings or Banksy?

Disagree. What does he learn from even a 20k baht fine and being sent home? Almost nothing. Tha Pae gate is one of the more iconic landmarks around Chiang Mai, why shouldn't they face stiff penalties for defacing it?

If someone went and sprayed such a spastic and needless message on the Pyramids of Giza today they wouldn't get away with a fine. 

These two losers deserve everything they get

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thats a girl? really or an over grown mummys boy thats never seen the light of day. Worlds a strange place nowadays... 

A stint in prison would probably do the Canadian good, shed a few pounds, would it be male or female prison in these days of gender awareness?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Total fools to do such a thing in a foreign country to an ancient structure, but 10 years? Seriously? 

...apparently it isn't actually an original historical monument.. it was reconstructed in 1986 or there abouts.. a few weeks in a Thai jail with 30 others in a small cell with a toilet in the corner and red rice for supper.. no air-con should do..  a bit of time to think about their disrespectful stupidity.. 10 years is a bit harsh..

3 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

...apparently it isn't actually an original historical monument.. it was reconstructed in 1986 or there abouts.. a few weeks in a Thai jail with 30 others in a small cell with a toilet in the corner and red rice for supper.. no air-con should do..  a bit of time to think about their disrespectful stupidity.. 10 years is a bit harsh..

That's good news for them, if true. I wasn't aware. 

5 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Would it have made any difference to this mindless yob if it was 5000 years old?

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

There apparently is a distinction in Thai law on whether the damage was done to a historically significant thing or not. 

I was talking about the graffiti "artist", not Thai law, but a short stint in a Thai prison might be the sharp shock he needs, plus a hefty fine and a lifetime ban to Thailand.

There seems to be a lot of bitter and angry people on ThaiVisa. It was a stupid drunken prank.

I have never seen quite so many holier than thou posts for such a small thing. The graffiti has already been removed.

Hit them in the pocket for the cost of cleaning and investigation.  They are staying in hostels. A financial penalty will be painful enough. 

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I was talking about the graffiti "artist", not Thai law, but a short stint in a Thai prison might be the sharp shock he needs, plus a hefty fine and a lifetime ban to Thailand.

Stop it....

Many of you came to Thailand for the relaxed life and leeway you get. Now all of a sudden, when it affects someone else, you want to hang 'em high. 

I'm sure you've done worse in your life.

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Would it have made any difference to this mindless yob if it was 5000 years old?

Agreed. I'm 99% sure he wasn't googling its history on his smartphone before deciding whether to write his name on there or not.

3 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

There seems to be a lot of bitter and angry people on ThaiVisa. It was a stupid drunken prank.

I have never seen quite so many holier than thou posts for such a small thing. The graffiti has already been removed.

Hit them in the pocket for the cost of cleaning and investigation.  They are staying in hostels. A financial penalty will be painful enough. 

I don't consider myself bitter or angry, but I do get annoyed when halfwits from the west decide to do mindless graffiti on iconic things like this. Had he done it down a narrow alleyway on the back of a building somewhere, I'd agree a drunken prank. The fact he had the spray paint with him in the first place would indicate some sort of planning, right? 

If you care so much about him, you might want to start visiting him in prison. A fine doesn't really cut it when those in the western world are generally more affluent than those in Thailand. Mummy and Daddy will probably pay for it if he couldn't and there would be no lesson learnt. 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That was posted on September 22 nd .

Doesnt that men that he should be going home tomorrow ?

29th of September so he's still got a week. He'd better let the BIB know that he's gotta be out of here on that flight. Wouldn't wanna miss it

5 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Stop it....

Many of you came to Thailand for the relaxed life and leeway you get. Now all of a sudden, when it affects someone else, you want to hang 'em high. 

I'm sure you've done worse in your life.

We also come to Thailand to get away from these badly behaved drunken louts

3 minutes ago, SammyT said:

I don't consider myself bitter or angry, but I do get annoyed when halfwits from the west decide to do mindless graffiti on iconic things like this. Had he done it down a narrow alleyway on the back of a building somewhere, I'd agree a drunken prank. The fact he had the spray paint with him in the first place would indicate some sort of planning, right? 

If you care so much about him, you might want to start visiting him in prison. A fine doesn't really cut it when those in the western world are generally more affluent than those in Thailand. Mummy and Daddy will probably pay for it if he couldn't and there would be no lesson learnt. 

Too harsh, c'mon. Ever been to Chiang Mai? Grafiti everywhere. This dude thought he found the last untouched wall in CM. Give him a fine, public apology and off he goes. Let the Thai autorities focus on more important issues, such as finding mr Red Bull. 

Just now, sanemax said:

We also come to Thailand to get away from these badly behaved drunken louts

I doubt it.

Many people consider that middle aged men who travel to Thailand are just that.

He might graffiti, someone else might P4P. Both are disgusting from differing perspectives.

So don't be so quick to find fault.

It's a minor issue, but it cost manpower to put it right and bring them to justice, a hefty fine should be enough.

Silly suggestions for prison etc, just make you look like angry old men.

3 minutes ago, SammyT said:

29th of September so he's still got a week. He'd better let the BIB know that he's gotta be out of here on that flight. Wouldn't wanna miss it

That was when he posted it , 29 th September and he stated that hes got 22 days left , which is tomorrow or the day after 

20 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

10 years sounds pretty lenient when compared against 15 years for picking wild mushrooms.

They should think themselves lucky they weren't playing bridge at the same time.............:coffee1:

7 minutes ago, SammyT said:

But that is exactly how you appear. If it walks like a duck.....

Seriously, take a breath. It's not that serious. As aforementioned, he perhaps though it was the thing to do and was proven wrong. There is a lot worse happening around us. Keep it in perspective.

1 minute ago, SoilSpoil said:

Too harsh, c'mon. Ever been to Chiang Mai? Grafiti everywhere. This dude thought he found the last untouched wall in CM. Give him a fine, public apology and off he goes. Let the Thai autorities focus on more important issues, such as finding mr Red Bull. 

I live here. Yes, there is graffiti everywhere, but I've never seen it on historical ruins (whether rebuilt or not). If you got caught defacing something of historical significance in any country around the world you'd be in a lot more trouble than you might for defacing a wall or other building. 

5 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I doubt it.

Many people consider that middle aged men who travel to Thailand are just that.

He might graffiti, someone else might P4P. Both are disgusting from differing perspectives.

So don't be so quick to find fault.

It's a minor issue, but it cost manpower to put it right and bring them to justice, a hefty fine should be enough.

Silly suggestions for prison etc, just make you look like angry old men.

I havent suggested that he gets sent to prison though .

Not sure why you are bringing prostitution, age and  anger issues into the equation 

2 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

But that is exactly how you appear. If it walks like a duck.....

Seriously, take a breath. It's not that serious. As aforementioned, he perhaps though it was the thing to do and was proven wrong. There is a lot worse happening around us. Keep it in perspective.

While I do see your perspective and I'm generally not one for overly draconian sentences, ultimately it doesn't matter what any of us think. It's the Thai justice system who will make the decision on this. It's their field and their rules.

Whatever they decide, I won't be feeling any sympathy for him for that very reason, in the same way I don't for people who feel the wrath of their heavy handed drug laws. We all know when we come here that their justice system is a bit primitive and overzealous, particularly to foreigners. If he didn't, then he should have at least done his research before he decided to break the law. There was a kiwi kid a few years back who got banged up for 18 months for stealing a taxi drivers' cell phone and doing a runner from the cab without paying the fare. His explanation was basically that he used to get really light sentences for that sort of stuff in NZ. He learned the hard way that not everyone is as lenient as the NZ justice system. 

Perhaps they could use defense of being under lots of stress.... can't recall the crime, but didn't some mucky muck get off with that month or two ago? "Couldn't help it, your lordship. I was suffering culture shock!"

Archived