"Scouser" faces 10 years for Chiang Mai graffiti

webfact

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sanemax said:

In the UK , the Police wouldnt even bother to attend the scene , let alone arrest and prosecute and people would be to scared to tell him to stop , the result being that you have feral youngsters roaming the streets and causing mischief with impunity .

I would think if the walls of a landmark were tagged they might - i.e. some famous abbey or something?

They have been charged with damaging a historical site - this carries a top fine of one million baht or a ten year jail term - or both

There is nothing historical about this part of the wall, as I happened to be here when they built it, and could possibly be defended in court on the basis of an incorrect charge. However, it was a complete mindless act carried by two utter morons. Singapore had the right idea when the young American student got six strokes of the birch for graffiti. I would not waste time with a prison sentence, but give them both a month of street cleaning and graffiti removal. Then fine them and deport them after blacklisting them.

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

Anyone who supports Liverpool deserves 10 years in the Monkey House. Go Thailand.

There would be a hell of a lot of Thai people in jail as well as many others from around the world you cloth eared dope!

Go the mighty Liverpool FC.

YNWA.

3 minutes ago, nikmar said:

I actually worked in Liverpool for a long while and i do joke a bit but being honest, I found the locals friendly, generous and for the most part extremely funny. i got a fair bit of stick as i "have wool on my back" but I still had all my hub caps intact when I left the city.

Funniest come back Ive ever heard......

Kirkby girl - "why are youse always looking at me arse?"

Bootle fella - "'cos i cant believe the size of it"

Ken Dodd was scouse, and he was a star!!

Yes people from Liverpool are very friendly and funny. I would agree and i am a manc. 

Parents don't raise their offspring to be responsible anymore. When I was 23 I was a Sergeant in the army responsible for the fitness upkeep of 1,100 soldiers.

Although I joined voluntarily as a 16 year old, a couple of years of discipline as in the days of National Service, long discontinued by my time, didn't do anyone any harm.

7 minutes ago, nikmar said:

I actually worked in Liverpool for a long while and i do joke a bit but being honest, I found the locals friendly, generous and for the most part extremely funny. i got a fair bit of stick as i "have wool on my back" but I still had all my hub caps intact when I left the city.

Born and bred there.

Did you notice, the meat products in the supermarkets have a "steal by" date on them ! ????

8 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

They have been charged with damaging a historical site - this carries a top fine of one million baht or a ten year jail term - or both

There is nothing historical about this part of the wall, as I happened to be here when they built it, and could possibly be defended in court on the basis of an incorrect charge. However, it was a complete mindless act carried by two utter morons. Singapore had the right idea when the young American student got six strokes of the birch for graffiti. I would not waste time with a prison sentence, but give them both a month of street cleaning and graffiti removal. Then fine them and deport them after blacklisting them.

Interesting. Was it built then, or re-built because of degradation? I guess you could argue that the amount of upkeep countries around the world do on historical ruins (i.e. Angkor Wat always having scaffolding on at least one part of it) that nothing is really "historical" in the true sense of the word. 

21 minutes ago, Jazz5555 said:

Let’s have a public stoning in lieu of jail term. 

That wouldn't satisfy some of the clowns on here.

It's a bit of graffiti for god's sake from a couple of silly youngsters. They should get a fine and a slap on the wrist.

Silly bastards quoting 10 year jail terms, pathetic!

Just now, Scouse123 said:

That wouldn't satisfy some of the clowns on here.

It's a bit of graffiti for god's sake from a couple of silly youngsters. They should get a fine and a slap on the wrist.

Silly bastards quoting 10 year jail terms, pathetic!

That is the maximum sentence that this charge carry's 

"They were then taken on a reenactment to the Northern gate..."

ThaPae is the eastern gate. Is this gate suddenly "Northern" because it's in CM? Like, repeat "Northern" six times in every story about Chiang Mai so we don't forget it's in the North.

Young and dumb.....this may we slow down others.....

I think in terms of what kind of day they are having today it’s been a bad one.......the worst experience is thinking of 10 years for something so stupid....my guess is a fine, and deported....

10 years for being young and stupid, and obviously uneducated is way over the top.....las for the wall, that particular part has been rebuilt so technically it’s mearly brand new..the corners of the moat are the original 700 year old parts.....

they made a stupid mistake with the recklessness of youth...

1 minute ago, namatjira said:

10 years for being young and stupid, and obviously uneducated is way over the top.....las for the wall, that particular part has been rebuilt so technically it’s mearly brand new..the corners of the moat are the original 700 year old parts....

I don't think anyone actually thinks they'll get ten years do they? Common for even western media outlets to sensationalise it by saying "facing XX years in prison" when in reality those sorts of sentences would be saved in this case for if he had driven a bulldozer through the main part of the gate while shitting on the Thai flag or something. 

I suspect he'll get something of a sentence, but it'll be a few months. Just enough to keep it in people's minds that it's a dumb idea to climb on the wall during Songkran

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Thai authorities are trying to encourage *more* tourists to come to Thailand.  These ridiculous threats of a punishment that far outweighs the crime will have the opposite effect.   

Just now, seancbk said:

The Thai authorities are trying to encourage *more* tourists to come to Thailand.  These ridiculous threats of a punishment that far outweighs the crime will have the opposite effect.   

I don't think it would put most normal thinking people off. Most people it wouldn't even cross their mind to spraypaint something like this. 

If the story was of a westerner who was facing ten years for hurting someone in a scooter accident which involved a minimal amount of negligence then it may well put people off. While many may not agree with a hefty prison sentence for the graffiti in question, they may well rationalise it by thinking "it won't happen to me anyway because I don't do dumb stuff like that". That's my line of thinking on it anyway, as someone not too far removed from this guy's age demographic

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Does nobody else appreciate the aesthetic beauty of this artwork, he has managed to turn a very mundane wall into a truly modern sculpture ???? 

Next thing you will be suggesting is that the wall and graffiti are fed through a giant shredder.

They have not actually yet been sentenced to 10 years- bit premature? 

Lock them up. Give them extra time for breaking the dress code.

They afforded the airline ticket and the vacay. Mumsies waiting with her checkbook teaches them nothing. 

If just a fine, then this will be the crime they will always laugh about getting away with.

10 years possibility is scary but they won't get max.

6 months sounds good, in concert with public confessions.

Public service washing the streets while doing the time is better yet.

1 hour ago, nikmar said:

Bootie fella: Jawanna dance luv?

Kirkby girl: No, I don't dance with children!

Bootie fella: Sorry, I didn't know you were pregnant....

14 minutes ago, SammyT said:

I don't think it would put most normal thinking people off. Most people it wouldn't even cross their mind to spraypaint something like this. 

If the story was of a westerner who was facing ten years for hurting someone in a scooter accident which involved a minimal amount of negligence then it may well put people off. While many may not agree with a hefty prison sentence for the graffiti in question, they may well rationalise it by thinking "it won't happen to me anyway because I don't do dumb stuff like that". That's my line of thinking on it anyway, as someone not too far removed from this guy's age demographic

There are people who won't go to countries which they believe use excessive force and have crazy laws.  It might not dissuade many people but I can imagine some people reading this in the news and thinking "I'm not going there if they do that to people".

There are a lot of people who see spray painting, even when it's not very good, to be an expression of individuality and art.   There are even areas in Bangkok where graffiti is encouraged.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Hey mate, you need to cut down on the drink, posh part of Liverpool???

Maybe you mean Scotland road in Liverpool.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

My old man's family were from Scotty Road Colin and I can still remember a night when my cousin tore a sleeve off her blanket ????.

49 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Yes, Thailand wants tourists , not back packers who go around spray painting walls at 4 AM in the morning .

Sends out a message to people like that : *Dont come to Thailand , if you cannot  behave yourself*

Archived