BANGKOK
webfact

"Scouser" faces 10 years for Chiang Mai graffiti

1 minute ago, namatjira said:

10 years for being young and stupid, and obviously uneducated is way over the top.....las for the wall, that particular part has been rebuilt so technically it’s mearly brand new..the corners of the moat are the original 700 year old parts....

I don't think anyone actually thinks they'll get ten years do they? Common for even western media outlets to sensationalise it by saying "facing XX years in prison" when in reality those sorts of sentences would be saved in this case for if he had driven a bulldozer through the main part of the gate while shitting on the Thai flag or something. 

I suspect he'll get something of a sentence, but it'll be a few months. Just enough to keep it in people's minds that it's a dumb idea to climb on the wall during Songkran

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Thai authorities are trying to encourage *more* tourists to come to Thailand.  These ridiculous threats of a punishment that far outweighs the crime will have the opposite effect.   

Just now, seancbk said:

The Thai authorities are trying to encourage *more* tourists to come to Thailand.  These ridiculous threats of a punishment that far outweighs the crime will have the opposite effect.   

I don't think it would put most normal thinking people off. Most people it wouldn't even cross their mind to spraypaint something like this. 

If the story was of a westerner who was facing ten years for hurting someone in a scooter accident which involved a minimal amount of negligence then it may well put people off. While many may not agree with a hefty prison sentence for the graffiti in question, they may well rationalise it by thinking "it won't happen to me anyway because I don't do dumb stuff like that". That's my line of thinking on it anyway, as someone not too far removed from this guy's age demographic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Does nobody else appreciate the aesthetic beauty of this artwork, he has managed to turn a very mundane wall into a truly modern sculpture 🙂 

Next thing you will be suggesting is that the wall and graffiti are fed through a giant shredder.

They have not actually yet been sentenced to 10 years- bit premature? 

Lock them up. Give them extra time for breaking the dress code.

They afforded the airline ticket and the vacay. Mumsies waiting with her checkbook teaches them nothing. 

If just a fine, then this will be the crime they will always laugh about getting away with.

10 years possibility is scary but they won't get max.

6 months sounds good, in concert with public confessions.

Public service washing the streets while doing the time is better yet.

Edited by Duke of Earl

1 hour ago, nikmar said:

I actually worked in Liverpool for a long while and i do joke a bit but being honest, I found the locals friendly, generous and for the most part extremely funny. i got a fair bit of stick as i "have wool on my back" but I still had all my hub caps intact when I left the city.

Funniest come back Ive ever heard......

Kirkby girl - "why are youse always looking at me arse?"

Bootle fella - "'cos i cant believe the size of it"

Ken Dodd was scouse, and he was a star!!

Bootie fella: Jawanna dance luv?

Kirkby girl: No, I don't dance with children!

Bootie fella: Sorry, I didn't know you were pregnant....

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, SammyT said:

I don't think it would put most normal thinking people off. Most people it wouldn't even cross their mind to spraypaint something like this. 

If the story was of a westerner who was facing ten years for hurting someone in a scooter accident which involved a minimal amount of negligence then it may well put people off. While many may not agree with a hefty prison sentence for the graffiti in question, they may well rationalise it by thinking "it won't happen to me anyway because I don't do dumb stuff like that". That's my line of thinking on it anyway, as someone not too far removed from this guy's age demographic

There are people who won't go to countries which they believe use excessive force and have crazy laws.  It might not dissuade many people but I can imagine some people reading this in the news and thinking "I'm not going there if they do that to people".

There are a lot of people who see spray painting, even when it's not very good, to be an expression of individuality and art.   There are even areas in Bangkok where graffiti is encouraged.

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

But 2 years, with no early release, would be fine.

Even two years is too much for their false sense of privilege to do so. They should be canned, deported,  and blacklisted for five years

So they found a can of spray paint on the road,    oh really  !!,    premeditated, send them down 

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Total fools to do such a thing in a foreign country to an ancient structure, but 10 years? Seriously? 

19 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Yes, Thailand wants tourists , not back packers who go around spray painting walls at 4 AM in the morning .

Sends out a message to people like that : *Dont come to Thailand , if you cannot  behave yourself*

• Like 2