'Miscommunication' blamed as woman told to leave hospital

rooster59

'Miscommunication' blamed as woman told to leave hospital

By The Nation

74fbfe21115dbcf29fd7e02a376cbca6.jpeg

The deputy director of Sa Kaew's Aranyaprathet Hospital on Friday said that a woman who was told by a doctor to go away “because the hospital is not a convenience store” was caused by miscommunication and an overwhelmed medical staff.

The woman, who was seeking treatment for a headache and coughing, and was later found to be suffering from the common cold, attended the hospital emergency ward on Thursday night at 9pm, hospital deputy director Dr Sorawit Chalalai said.

He said that there were many critical cases at the same time, including two stroke patients that needed respiratory aid tube insertion, one coronary artery disease patient, a patient suffering from paralysis triggered by a herniated disc, two patients with open wounds, and four or five high blood pressure cases that needed urgent treatment, although they were not critical. 

The two available doctors were under stress and overwhelmed and the woman was told to seek treatment the following day.

Sorawit went with a medical team from Tambon Khlong Nam Sai health promotion hospital as well as district chief Saowanit Suriyakul Na Ayutthaya to visit the 24-year-old woman on Friday morning. 

He said they attempted to clarify what happened at the hospital and explained that it was the result of a misunderstanding and was a lesson for the hospital to improve its services. He said the hospital executives had already verbally warned the unnamed doctor about his communication with patients.

Sa Kaew health office deputy chief Dr Onrat Chanpen said these days personnel at hospitals are working hard and are overwhelmed due to the manpower shortage and the province's expansion. 

She said the Public Health Ministry executives were trying to solve the overall problem and move forward with projects including the "Mor Krob Krua" family doctor clinic project to give primary care to people in communities and lessen overcrowding at big hospitals.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356812

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-20

This is a major problem in hospitals here, people with minor problems attending accident/emergency departments, taking overworked medical staff away from serious cases.

I see it many times at our local hospital.

The deputy director of the hospital should have spoken truthfully, not blaming miscommunication.

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He was being honest and straight to the point .

I think, for a person in his position, a suggestion of going home and getting a good nights' rest, possibly with the help of a couple of paracetamol, would have been a better solution.

Not too difficult, is it ?

And would have avoided the adverse publicity.

1 minute ago, Thaiwrath said:

I think, for a person in his position, a suggestion of going home and getting a good nights' rest, possibly with the help of a couple of paracetamol, would have been a better solution.

Not too difficult, is it ?

And would have avoided the adverse publicity.

Yes, it was rather blunt , but people shouldnt get upset by these things .

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

This is a major problem in hospitals here, people with minor problems attending accident/emergency departments, taking overworked medical staff away from serious cases.

How do you know these patients had "minor problems"? Were you the attending doctor? Or are you just guessing.

1 hour ago, certacito said:

How do you know these patients had "minor problems"? Were you the attending doctor? Or are you just guessing.

As you have only been on here a few days you are unaware of my situation.

Having to go to the emergency room at our local hospital every 3 weeks, i see it many, many times.

Sometimes when i am wheeled in, straight into the room, catheter changed, other times when they are busy with serious cases i can wait up to 2 hours.

So no i am not guessing speaking from my vast experience of government hospitals in Issan, over the last 5 years.

I have spent over 250 days in hospitals in Issan, and visited the emergency room 73 times.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The woman, who was seeking treatment for a headache and coughing, and was later found to be suffering from the common cold, attended the hospital emergency ward

I would have told the hypochondriac to try it at the emergency ward for broken fingernails, insomnia, and terminal stage hair split.

If you look in most towns throughout Thailand, mostly at weekends, there are endless queues outside clinics, and hospitals are packed-out most days with people complaining of common colds, broken toe nails and anything that makes it uncomfortable to sit and play with their smartphones.  A bit of a sniff, and the ****in world's going to end.  I don't know of another race of people who are such hypochondriacs.

Amazing Thailand!

18 minutes ago, hansnl said:
3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I take it, diplomacy is not his strong point ? 

Sometimes doctors should throw diplomacy far from them.

Going to ER for common cold?

common in usa also. fact; teenage healthy girls complaining of "stuffed nose" calls ambulance and despite ambulance crew evaluation and advice to go to clinic she insists ambulance take her to en er. usually on public assistance entitlement style.

at least 1 major army hospital tells er waiting room patients how long current wait is for non emergency cases. commonly military wives take their kids to er because of "runny noses" and moms often go because of things as severe as mosquito bites.  they abuse er as a convenience clinic because they had to go to beauty salon during normal clinic hours.

If you look in most towns throughout Thailand, mostly at weekends, there are endless queues outside clinics, and hospitals are packed-out most days with people complaining of common colds, broken toe nails and anything that makes it uncomfortable to sit and play with their smartphones.  A bit of a sniff, and the ****in world's going to end.  I don't know of another race of people who are such hypochondriacs.

Amazing Thailand!

That's true, I have never known another race of people with such tendencies.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

Amazing Thailand!

Thai people specifically are not a race.

I have visited a government hospital. I have a Thai friend who did his residency there and I saw the conditions that prevail there. I can only compare it to a handful of exhausted medical staff trying to hold off a tsunami with a few sandbags.  The intern doctors and other staff work like proverbial dogs to do as much as can be done. The complainant ought to try to be mindful of the conditions around her. It is she who is the rude one.

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

Amazing Thailand!

"Doo Mor liaw yang?" -in thai "have you seen the doctor?". It's good to see Doctors because it gives you the feeling of being look after, of being acknowledged.....and of course the smell of the anti-septic disinfectant on in the clinic or ward smell kind of nice and welcoming. The Chinese do a lot of self-medication. Thais should learn from them.

If Thais only stop using re-cycle oil their health will improve tremendously. The oil is being used over and over till the color changed to darker color. Carcinogenic 。。。。

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Having to go to the emergency room at our local hospital every 3 weeks, i see it many, many times.

Sometimes when i am wheeled in, straight into the room, catheter changed,

Why are you going to the emergency room for a routine catheter change ? 

44 minutes ago, certacito said:

Why i am going to the emergency room for a catheter change?

Because that is the only place at the hospital where they will do it.

Being paraplegic, i need hospital porters to lift me.

Anymore silly questions you want answered?

1 hour ago, certacito said:

Do you know how difficult a catheter change is? And chances of  UTI? I transported catheter change pts in Brisbane for over 20 years. Always to ED. Nearly always an RN to do it. 

15 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

Do you know how difficult a catheter change is? And chances of  UTI? I transported catheter change pts in Brisbane for over 20 years. Always to ED. Nearly always an RN to do it. 

Thank you for your helpful post, some people are so braindead, they have no idea what they are talking about.

Over the 5 years i have been catheterized twice admitted to hospital due to UTI.

It is fairly common knowledge that men, and possibly Englishmen in particular, have a reputation for not going to the doctor unless it is practically an emergency (and sometimes too late), resulting in several Government advertising programs advising them to do so.

In the 14 years I have lived in Thailand, and I am now 77, I have been blessed with good health, but invariably my Thai wife tries to get me to go to the local hospital for the most trivial things, like a cut finger or a minor bump on the head.  It is comforting that she cares about me, but she suggests the same treatment for herself, so I can fully understand why doctors and nurses, particularly in public hospitals, are so busy and overworked.  A tinge of a headache or a sniff or two, ,seem to necessitate, at the very least, a visit to the nearest pharmacist, to obtain two or three different drugs, which can then fill up some empty space in  the medicine cabinet.  It appears that actually taking the medicine is not always absolutely necessary as just obtaining them does the trick.

One of the problems that I see in the area around where I live in Khon Kaen is the lack of clinics that are open in the mornings and across the other side of town it is the opposite and there is a general hospital in the middle, so I would guess that where the clinics are closed of a morning then people will not travel past the hospital to attend the clinics on the other side of town and vice versa of an afternoon. There just does not seem to be a standard clinic services at all hours in all districts and I think that this could be the problem that overloads the hospital emergency dept's

came across it many times here, the slightest sniffle or belly ache its off to the hospital they go, then i get the old facebok selfie, with * not feeling well, waiting at hospital * i have had a few dodgy days (usual farang stuff) over the years. everytime i get, * you must go to hospital* my answer is . *not bother, me farang will be ok in a few days*

10 hours ago, colinneil said:
11 hours ago, certacito said:

Why i am going to the emergency room for a catheter change?

Because that is the only place at the hospital where they will do it.

Being paraplegic, i need hospital porters to lift me.

Anymore silly questions you want answered?

most anyone can learn how to change a catheter. u ever tried to get your significant other to learn?  it can save trips to the hospital where more germs await.

5 hours ago, atyclb said:

most anyone can learn how to change a catheter. u ever tried to get your significant other to learn?  it can save trips to the hospital where more germs await.

Yes that is a good suggestion, but changing the catheter is not the only reason for visiting the hospital.

Doctors will only prescribe medicines after seeing me, also physio department is at the hospital

Archived