“I’ve been an idiot”, says Briton facing ten years in jail for Chiang Mai graffiti

rooster59

“I’ve been an idiot”, says Briton facing ten years in jail for Chiang Mai graffiti

scoucer.JPG

A British man who was arrested earlier this week for vandalising the 800 year old Tha Phae gate in Chiang Mai says he has “been an idiot”.

Lee Furlong, 23, was caught on CCTV spraying ‘Scousse Lee’ onto the historic wall at 4am on Thursday morning.

Lee, from Liverpool, who even managed to spell the word ‘Scouse’ incorrectly, says he was “really, really drunk” when he picked up the spray can and has apologised to the Thai people for his actions.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Lee said:  “I'd been drinking all day. I'd had some bad news from my family and I went out drinking. I mean, I was really, really drunk.

“I saw the spray can and just picked it up. Honestly, I didn't know what I was doing. When I woke up the police were here.

“They took me to the station and I was in shock. I'm terrified of what will happen now.

“I've spoken to my family and I'm trying to get some help. I really need it. I honestly don't know what to do. My visa runs out in two days, that's another problem.

“I had been having such an amazing time here. The best time of my life. I'm just devastated that I've done something so stupid. I'm sorry to all the Thai people that have been offended by it. I've been an idiot.”

Lee said that police have taken his passport and that his trial is due in two weeks.

Meanwhile, Lee’s mother has said how she is “ashamed” of her son, who she described as a “jackass”.

Also speaking to the Daily Mail, Lee’s mother, Michelle Furlong said:

“We feel absolutely devastated, mortified and so scared - because my kid is in prison in Thailand, and all the horror stories that go along with that.

“I am so embarrassed and ashamed. I cannot even begin to describe how our family has been affected by his actions.

“He is prone to making ill judgements - he has a lot of tumours in the frontal and temporal lobes of his brain and suffers with epilepsy as a result of it.

“He has always struggled in educational situations and obviously emotional situations - and has always had difficulties.”

Mrs Furlong said Lee’s actions were due to him recently being told that his grandmother is seriously back in the UK.

Mrs Furlong explained how she received a call saying he would need to find approximately 150,000 baht so Lee could be freed on bail.

“My husband is an ill man and unable to work, and I work in a sweet shop.

“We live hand-to-mouth with what's going on in this country with this government - we live hand-to-mouth, we live week-to-week and it is only through the goodwill of other people that we have even been able to glean this bail money together.

“He was due to fly home on Sunday and I felt like I could finally breathe out, because he only had five days left and then he would home safe.”

Lee and friend Brittney Schneider, 23 from Canada, were arrested on Thursday for spray painting graffiti on the Tha Phae gate.

Speaking to CTV News, Brittney’s mother Tara Schneider said her daughter was “very afraid” and that it was “very out of character for her. She’s never been in trouble in her life.”

Col. Teerasak Sriprasert, chief of the Chiang Mai police, said that Lee admitted that he wrote "Scousse Lee" on the 800-year old wall, while Schneider told police that she wrote the letter "B" underneath it.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-20

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

If the family are living hand to mouth where did this guy get the money to come to Thailand? It sounds like his family could have been better helped with the money that he spent on this ill fated trip.

Perhaps gofund page is about to go up. 

Court wil not jail the idiots, most likely a fine and deported. Seeing as his visa up in 2 days , another 20000 baht . 

22 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Lee said:  “I'd been drinking all day. I'd had some bad news from my family and I went out drinking

I assumed it was the news he'd failed his English language exam.

24 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

“He is prone to making ill judgements - he has a lot of tumours in the frontal and temporal lobes of his brain and suffers with epilepsy as a result of it. 

And getting drunk was a medical prognosis from his doctor obviously.

The age of that section of the wall probably would not mean it’s not considered sacred by the Thais.......he could have scribbled on modern Buddha images in temples and that excuse of when it was made carries no water.....again, especially to the Thais.

its full of brass plaques stating the significance of the gate and it’s historic origin........the lawyers can argue all they like.

to suggest anyone can deface it and get off with a boot up the arse

as it’s been reconstructed is a nonsense....

18 minutes ago, namatjira said:

The age of that section of the wall probably would not mean it’s not considered sacred by the Thais.......he could have scribbled on modern Buddha images in temples and that excuse of when it was made carries no water.....again, especially to the Thais.

its full of brass plaques stating the significance of the gate and it’s historic origin........the lawyers can argue all they like.

to suggest anyone can deface it and get off with a boot up the arse

as it’s been reconstructed is a nonsense....

IMHO I doubt a Thai lawyer would wish to stand up and use the excuse of the Gate being reconstructed. Unless he is not looking for future cases to represent.

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

If the family are living hand to mouth where did this guy get the money to come to Thailand? It sounds like his family could have been better helped with the money that he spent on this ill fated trip.

And if he has mental / decision / learning difficulties (words from his mother) why was he not accompanied by an adult family member with full faculties?

Not the point but does he have medical insurance?

ago, scottiejohn said:

If the family are living hand to mouth where did this guy get the money to come to Thailand? It sounds like his family could have been better helped with the moneythat he spent on this ill fated trip

Its called the Dole.  Sponging <deleted>

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And if he has mental / decision / learning difficulties (words from his mother) why was he not accompanied by an adult family member with full faculties?

Not the point but does he have medical insurance?

Of course he does - the NHS (UK National Health Service):

"But, but, you mean it won't pay for my medical treatment in Thailand? Nah problem, I can start a go-fund-me page, someone will give me the dosh."

Ooh the typical English hooligan ???? they seem to enjoy to make themselves known no matter where they go !  Assuming that every place is their own being disrespectful is an underdstatement, whatever this entity is sent it to a Thai jail he/she or whatever it is will soon realise that it’s nothing like home where they can do anything and everything and then getting away with it ????????‍♂️

5 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

reminds me of a British woman on BBC complaining she couldn't feed her kids and blaming everyone but herself, there was a packet of Ciggies a lighter and a bunged  ashtray on the table in front of her (at 10 quid a pack)

They fly all the way from the UK to the magical Thai city of Chiang Mai. Gateway to the ancient Lanna culture renown for beauty, generosity and kindness. They see a can of spray paint and start <deleted> up the magnificent ancient wall that has kept the city safe for over 700 years. Then to further mock the countries laws as well as the Royal Thai Police they chose clothing with an inappropriate image when they admit their crime and appeal for mercy.  Too bad Buddhist don't perform crucifixions.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

he has a lot of tumours in the frontal and temporal lobes of his brain and suffers with epilepsy as a result of it.

He won't last long in a Thai jail, a better excuse than most you read

on here.

regards Worgeordie

Archived