“I’ve been an idiot”, says Briton facing ten years in jail for Chiang Mai graffiti

rooster59

7 hours ago, atyclb said:

yes, look up "phantom limb syndrome"

basically they belong to the subculture of painting graffiti and simply view it as acceptable or normal or tolerated. they did not anticipate consequences in thailand 

Good one! But your comment assumes the sufferer once posessed one, no evidence to substantiate that claim. (Not to quibble that the brain is an organ, not alimb!)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, giddyup said:

He would have no inkling that some Thais might find the shirt offensive, and if he did, wouldn't care. Same as backpackers who shove their feet in peoples faces on buses and trains.

I don't think he was referring; “I’ve been an idiot” to the deed itself. He probably regrets being caught so quickly and easily.

That Shirt looks like a vest to me and that Canadian lass has her cap on back to front. They are saying - f00k you - with their dress and sorry with their words. A few years in the monkey will just give him, and her, extra bragging rights when they get older telling life-experiences to their grandchildren.

Just get them to do a bit of litter-gathering and send them away. A bit of paint on an old wall is nothing that can't be sorted out.

Ah yes!! Backpackers!! At least they have clean feet.

It might be in the minority to say,but i think they will go a little easy on him.

Ok hes not the full quid

but some should be glad they werent born like this or have a kid like him.

And it sounds like the graffiti was able to be cleaned so no great lasting damage.

would be different if it could not be cleaned off tho

Karma police
I've given all I can
It's not enough
I've given all I can
But we're still on the payroll

This is what you'll get
This is what you'll get
This is what you'll get
When you mess with us

For a minute there
I lost myself, I lost myself
Phew, for a minute there
I lost myself, I lost myself...

Chiang Mai needs a graffitti cleanup in general.

I was really struck by this - it's important when graffitti goes up to clean it off asap.

Otherwise - at least in the US but I imagine it goes on all over - other groups will add to it. Often, it's different groups or gangs and they compete to "tag" as much as they can. So the rival group sees it and covers it with more grafitti.

It's especially striking seeing businesses with graffitti on the corners of their building or on objects in front of their business.

So now their business looks like it's part of a slum, even if the storefront otherwise looks ok.

And the business owners ignore it.

I like CM a great deal, but the graffitti adds a lot of unnecessary ugliness to the landscape.

The city is rife with graffitti and really needs a cleanup badly.

On 10/20/2018 at 2:56 PM, connda said:

Hummm.  Young Brits don't produce testosterone any longer.  This 'man' looks like a pre-pubescent teen with the mentality to go along with the look.

i think that,s the one who is supposed to be a girl

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

It's especially striking seeing businesses with graffitti on the corners of their building or on objects in front of their business.

So now their business looks like it's part of a slum, even if the storefront otherwise looks ok.

And the business owners ignore it.

If they paint over it though , it just makes a blank canvass for the next vandal with a can of paint

20 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

If the guy has frontal lobe tumours that cause injudicious behavior and seizures, and his family lives hand to mouth, what on earth is he doing on vacation in Thailand?

Perhaps the guy would "prefer a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."?   :coffee1:

On 10/21/2018 at 2:44 PM, soalbundy said:

That's no excuse, it is built on the site of the original and is a replica, defacing other people property isn't clever unless you are Banksy, this was true British yobo scrawl, he should go back to the jungle that he is used to.

I was pin-pointing the fact that the wall itself is not a few centuries old. And that was that. Wasn't offering any excuses, not sure where you saw the 'excuse'.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:58 AM, scottiejohn said:

If the family are living hand to mouth where did this guy get the money to come to Thailand? It sounds like his family could have been better helped with the money that he spent on this ill fated trip.

Oh, you know. "... what's going on in this country with this government..." Apparently it's the UK government that's at fault.

On 10/20/2018 at 4:56 PM, bkk6060 said:

So what is your point?

It all means nothing what he did?

Just pointing it out, on Thai FB pages people are saying their ancient wall as been damaged, but most Thais don't know the wall are not as ancient as they think.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:37 PM, namatjira said:

Well you read wrong.....it has been restored in some areas....

and some not......the corners in particular are genuine

Perhaps try reading this link http://bytelife.altervista.org/history.htm

There are other sites analyzing the walls, all have said majority of the wall are not original only the corners are and have been heavily restored over the years. 

11 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I hate walls when they put peanut bits on the Corneto.????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Seriously????.... What kind of clatter- fanny comes up with such an astronomically rubbish statement... 

Come on dude, we’re surely worthy of better effort, no? 

On 10/20/2018 at 1:58 AM, scottiejohn said:

If the family are living hand to mouth where did this guy get the money to come to Thailand? It sounds like his family could have been better helped with the money that he spent on this ill fated trip.

hes 23 hes allowed to do what he wants with his money

4 hours ago, mike324 said:

Just pointing it out, on Thai FB pages people are saying their ancient wall as been damaged, but most Thais don't know the wall are not as ancient as they think.

In many countries people believe in a God that no one has ever seen or proved. Does that mean people can go on a rampage and destroy any church, temple, mosque or any such religious place? Would that be OK?

Archived