BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

“I’ve been an idiot”, says Briton facing ten years in jail for Chiang Mai graffiti

On 10/20/2018 at 2:44 AM, Kerryd said:

10 years is the maximum they could receive.

However, as they've already confessed and it's not likely that they'd receive the maximum possible, whatever sentence they do receive will probably be cut in half so they are probably looking at anywhere from a couple of months to a couple years at the most - depending on pardons and good behaviour and such.

The Canadian will probably do a few weeks and then get sent back to Canada to finish her sentence but the day after she arrives she'll be let go, no questions asked.

After all, if they let a career criminal that was doing time (for a brutal murder, mutilation and dismemberment of a young Thai woman) walk free within months of his return to Canada, after having done just over 5 years in a Thai prison for his crimes, I can't see them keeping anyone who did anything less in jail for more than a couple hours.

H***, Trudeau will probably meet her at the airport and offer her a hug and an official government apology for not getting her back to Canada sooner.

She's from the oil patch in Alberta. People there are genetically predisposed to loathe anyone with the name Trudeau. No votes to be had in that part of Canada, so I doubt he's losing any sleep over this issue. Hell, he'd probably we willing to piggyback her to a Thai prison. 

At the time of this post, $6000 has already been raised on Go Fund Me by the woman's mother in Canada. I would hope that any fine assessed to her fine far exceeds any crowd sourcing initiative, otherwise she will financially prosper from this crime.

I suspect that in addition to a sizeable fine, the Thai court will want to sentence the pair to a token stint in the crowbar motel. Given the widespread media coverage that this incident has garnered, the Thai government will see this case as an opportunity to send a strong signal to current and future tourists that there will be significant punitive consequences for idiotic behaviour.

Oh, come on.  Bang them up, fine them and kick them out in a very public way.  But 10-years in prison?  What is this, North Korea?

The erratic, often overreaching or vastly understated application of punishments here, makes your head spin. 

Reminds me a bit of the Colonel Kurtz character, who might give you a merciful hug on Monday for a minor offense, but on Tuesday, whack your head off and hang you from a tree as a warning to others.

3 hours ago, radka said:

At the time of this post, $6000 has already been raised on Go Fund Me by the woman's mother in Canada. I would hope that any fine assessed to her fine far exceeds any crowd sourcing initiative, otherwise she will financially prosper from this crime.

I suspect that in addition to a sizeable fine, the Thai court will want to sentence the pair to a token stint in the crowbar motel. Given the widespread media coverage that this incident has garnered, the Thai government will see this case as an opportunity to send a strong signal to current and future tourists that there will be significant punitive consequences for idiotic behaviour.

Just curious, I wonder how this incident / need for funds has been described on 'go fund me'.

39 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Have a look.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My daughter is in serious trouble in Thailand, yes she did very wrong we know that, a second bad decision has ruined her life, as a mother i am absolutely broken for my daughter, intoxicatin is no excuse for what she did, but her well being is my main concern, as being in a prison in a foreign country is horrid, i literally wanna puke when i think about it, she will face (has no choice) the consequences for her actions, but i’m begging for you to have compassion, we are prepared for a “huge” financial burden, i am asking for help in covering the costs of her life here in canada, as she has bills that will continue to come in, and also help her live in Thailand till we know the final consequence, she is very sorry for what she done and is very ashamed of herself, so if you could find it in your heart to help us, we would be forever great full,  and to all who knew my daughter would know that this is so out of character for her, thank you, god bless prayers are also amazing ❤️

Winge winge 

Off topic posts and responses removed.

She is not sick or injured, $6000 is more than enough to pay corrupted officials. She didnt murder someone.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:42 PM, balo said:

She is not sick or injured, $6000 is more than enough to pay corrupted officials. She didnt murder someone.

Where does corrupted officials come into the story? 

1 minute ago, murraynz said:

anybody donating to help these loosers, also needs phsyciatric help..

I wouldnt suggest that they need "psychiatric help" , themselves just questioning their morals should be sufficient