“I’ve been an idiot”, says Briton facing ten years in jail for Chiang Mai graffiti

rooster59

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/20/2018 at 2:44 AM, Kerryd said:

10 years is the maximum they could receive.

However, as they've already confessed and it's not likely that they'd receive the maximum possible, whatever sentence they do receive will probably be cut in half so they are probably looking at anywhere from a couple of months to a couple years at the most - depending on pardons and good behaviour and such.

The Canadian will probably do a few weeks and then get sent back to Canada to finish her sentence but the day after she arrives she'll be let go, no questions asked.

After all, if they let a career criminal that was doing time (for a brutal murder, mutilation and dismemberment of a young Thai woman) walk free within months of his return to Canada, after having done just over 5 years in a Thai prison for his crimes, I can't see them keeping anyone who did anything less in jail for more than a couple hours.

H***, Trudeau will probably meet her at the airport and offer her a hug and an official government apology for not getting her back to Canada sooner.

She's from the oil patch in Alberta. People there are genetically predisposed to loathe anyone with the name Trudeau. No votes to be had in that part of Canada, so I doubt he's losing any sleep over this issue. Hell, he'd probably we willing to piggyback her to a Thai prison. 

At the time of this post, $6000 has already been raised on Go Fund Me by the woman's mother in Canada. I would hope that any fine assessed to her fine far exceeds any crowd sourcing initiative, otherwise she will financially prosper from this crime.

I suspect that in addition to a sizeable fine, the Thai court will want to sentence the pair to a token stint in the crowbar motel. Given the widespread media coverage that this incident has garnered, the Thai government will see this case as an opportunity to send a strong signal to current and future tourists that there will be significant punitive consequences for idiotic behaviour.

Oh, come on.  Bang them up, fine them and kick them out in a very public way.  But 10-years in prison?  What is this, North Korea?

The erratic, often overreaching or vastly understated application of punishments here, makes your head spin. 

Reminds me a bit of the Colonel Kurtz character, who might give you a merciful hug on Monday for a minor offense, but on Tuesday, whack your head off and hang you from a tree as a warning to others.

3 hours ago, radka said:

At the time of this post, $6000 has already been raised on Go Fund Me by the woman's mother in Canada. I would hope that any fine assessed to her fine far exceeds any crowd sourcing initiative, otherwise she will financially prosper from this crime.

I suspect that in addition to a sizeable fine, the Thai court will want to sentence the pair to a token stint in the crowbar motel. Given the widespread media coverage that this incident has garnered, the Thai government will see this case as an opportunity to send a strong signal to current and future tourists that there will be significant punitive consequences for idiotic behaviour.

Just curious, I wonder how this incident / need for funds has been described on 'go fund me'.

39 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Have a look.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My daughter is in serious trouble in Thailand, yes she did very wrong we know that, a second bad decision has ruined her life, as a mother i am absolutely broken for my daughter, intoxicatin is no excuse for what she did, but her well being is my main concern, as being in a prison in a foreign country is horrid, i literally wanna puke when i think about it, she will face (has no choice) the consequences for her actions, but i’m begging for you to have compassion, we are prepared for a “huge” financial burden, i am asking for help in covering the costs of her life here in canada, as she has bills that will continue to come in, and also help her live in Thailand till we know the final consequence, she is very sorry for what she done and is very ashamed of herself, so if you could find it in your heart to help us, we would be forever great full,  and to all who knew my daughter would know that this is so out of character for her, thank you, god bless prayers are also amazing ❤️

Winge winge 

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I wouldnt suggest that they need "psychiatric help" , themselves just questioning their morals should be sufficient 

Well said sanemax. But they haven't actually killed anyone or started a world war;;;; yet.

Is it possible for TVF members to start up a fund for them? We farang (sorry aliens) have to show some solidarity here.

The North American lass can spray her stuff over me anytime.

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Is it possible for TVF members to start up a fund for them? We farang (sorry aliens) have to show some

"Is it possible for TVF members to start up a fund for them? We farang (sorry aliens) have to show some" Financial proof acceptable to Thai Immigration, NOT your own Embassy, before any donations will be accepted.  Unless of course they are in a brown envelope!

????

Fine him 5,000 baht and let him loose, perhaps ban him for a year for the inconvenience.

If they are going to jail him for 5 years it will just backfire and TAT will get involved. 

Thais love scare tactics and they often say 5 years jail of 150,000 baht fine, yeah really? Where did they come up with those figures? ...and where in the law does it say 5 years for the specific thing he did? 

I hope he learned a lesson for life here and obviously he's young and stupid which is normal. 

21 minutes ago, racket said:

Fine him 5,000 baht and let him loose, perhaps ban him for a year for the inconvenience.

If they are going to jail him for 5 years it will just backfire and TAT will get involved. 

Thais love scare tactics and they often say 5 years jail of 150,000 baht fine, yeah really? Where did they come up with those figures? ...and where in the law does it say 5 years for the specific thing he did? 

I hope he learned a lesson for life here and obviously he's young and stupid which is normal. 

Maybe, you should be the Thai Attorney General?

23 minutes ago, racket said:

I tend to agree with this.... 'Thai's love scare tactics'..  The laws and penalties always seem so harsh for extremely simple often victimless crimes.... then the faux outrage when a foreigner commits a crime and we see the 'maximum penalty' being called for when in reality the outcome is a minor fine and a slap on the wrist... Unless of course the media have played their roll in stirring the pot. 

I can't see more than a 5000 baht fine, I'm not even sure if he would be sent home. I very much doubt there would be any jail time. 

Hopefully, this stupid behavior the threat of severe penalty etc has served as an excellent preventative measure for any other idiots...  But, in the balance of things, this was a victimless act of stupidity. There are far more serious crimes out there worthy of genuine attention rather than this 'media fueled xenophobic faux outrage'... 

On 10/22/2018 at 9:50 PM, ravip said:

In many countries people believe in a God that no one has ever seen or proved. Does that mean people can go on a rampage and destroy any church, temple, mosque or any such religious place? Would that be OK?

You are correct, but did I ever implied or say it was ok? Nope

Only pointing out that its not as bad as it seems since some Thais think a national treasure is being sabotage.

16 minutes ago, mike324 said:

You are correct, but did I ever implied or say it was ok? Nope

Only pointing out that its not as bad as it seems since some Thais think a national treasure is being sabotage.

You are correct too. You did not imply or say it was OK.
But, even though it is not as ancient as some Thai's think, the act of meaningless damaging it cannot be condoned or excused by 'diluting' the crime.

Archived