Thousands of Thai women are "victims" helping foreigners in "marriages of convenience"

Jonathan Fairfield

surely their should be a benefit to the foreigners involved in the marriage, not sure what benefits one obtains from marriage over just being here despite for those 2 countries named which are probably more advanced than thailand in many ways having experienced a few years of colonisation and being taught how to live proper

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/20/2018 at 4:11 PM, colinneil said:

Victims? my a++e they fraudulently married farangs for money.

The marriages are not fraudulent, they are real, legal marriages. Loveless and just for the purpose of a visa they may be, but fraudulent they are not.

It is easier to be married against money than to do work. We cannot find even unskilled staff anymore and now the bad non-Thais are "luring" girls into convenience marriages? 

No girl or woman can be that uneducated not knowing what she is in for.

An impossible task but you would have to restructure the Thai society of Pee-Nong, provide free of charge (and I mean, completely free of charge) education to all and focus on leveling females to the almighty Thai male level! 

Electioneering: A few hundred Pakistani and Indian men hardly causing major distress to Thai women as a whole. Now if they did something about abandoned wives and their children in the case of divorce and child support after they leave them for their third Mia noi now that would help. It's called "Women's rights" in civilized society. What utter rubbish. Journalists need to think and so do sheeple.

Here is the key reason this article and investigations are happening....

quote: "

The money was offered by agents and was as little as 3,000 baht.  But the women were desperate for cash "

#1 So this is a criminal act on their part...

#2 If the article read like this or that... no article, no investigations or investigating the wrong victims.

A. The money was offered by agents and was as little as 3,000,000 baht.  But the women were not desperate for cash but would like additional 3,000,000 for her boob medz(red RD), become a stick figure(blue RD) white skin medz, and Korean surgical makeover "

B. The money was offered by agents and was as little as 3,000 baht. by the Thai man.  But the women were desperate for cash and are giks. Women to be investigated "

C. The money was offered by Thai agents and was as little as 3,000 baht.  But the women were desperate for cash. The Thai agents skipped out of town with the 3000 baht, women angry, women to be investigated for corruption"

D. The money was offered by agents and was as little as 3,000 baht.  But the women were desperate for cash because they also got cheated by the size of the man's p....s. They are investigating because the women couldn't afford a magnifying glass to search for it "

E. The money was offered by agents and was as little as 3,000 baht by the African.  But the women were desperate for cash because now her intestines, stomach, throat and teeth(gone) are all ripped up inside and cannot afford medical treatment(need 5000 for that) besides having 4 holes now in her body to be investigated by Ladyboy because of jealousy "

F. and finally, "The money was offered by agents and was as little as 3,000 baht.  But the women were desperate for cash and she wants more from the farangs that she promised this contract along with a ton of gold-farang to be investigated, and charged for overstay and black listed for many years and to make reparations of 1,000,000 to Immigration, Police, Agents, Junta and pimp, girl sent with no money, but to make more money, back behind the glass window waiting to victimize the next customer(White)."

Case in point... :partytime2:

20 minutes ago, certacito said:

The marriages are not fraudulent, they are real, legal marriages. Loveless and just for the purpose of a visa they may be, but fraudulent they are not.

What absolute BS, women accepting money to marry a foreigner just so the foreigner can stay in the country is FRAUD.

Maybe you are saying that because it applies to you.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:
26 minutes ago, certacito said:

What absolute BS, women accepting money to marry a foreigner just so the foreigner can stay in the country is FRAUD.

I think that's semantics now.

As long as both parties have the correct documentation in order to marry, that makes the marriage legal.

Using the marriage in order to gain a visa extension is visa fraud - if the couple do not live together as husband and wife, or if immigration suspect they only married for that purpose.

I'm sure someone else will correct that more critically.

47 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Sin Sot is fraud ? Pretty sure that is money a guy gives a girl to get married ?

I said that the marriage is not fraudulent, and it is not. 

Sure as hell does not apply to me, single and happy.

19 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

They all knew they were married You have to go down to Immigration every year to renew a marriage visa  At immigration they are asked about their marriage. Whoever said they did not know are simply lying 

You do not know a lot at all about the whole story except what you did read on TV.                                                                                                             

Your sentence: "At immigration they are asked about their marriage." shows you are certainly not aware some of these women never met their "husbands" nor never sign any document, so certainly could hardly have gone to immigration with those ghost husbands.

For some of those women the crooks "brokers" "fabricated" everything including the false signatures.                                                                                               Unlike you, I'm not saying that you're lying, no, but that you claim without knowing, and in addition, your statements based on nothing but your imagination received a few likes, it shows how the news is propagating  amongst  the obsessive backers of the "Land Of Scam"

On 10/20/2018 at 5:28 AM, KiChakayan said:

Why on earth would someone get involved  in a "fake marriage" to stay in Thailand? Indians? India has nothing to envy from Thailand !... Maybe Pakistan or Nepal, but seeing Thailand as "a land of opportunity" seems really far fetched. 

So just more BJ BS...

Part of the build up to a story saying Big Joke has mounted a big white horse and has come to the rescue.

On 10/20/2018 at 4:32 PM, marcusarelus said:

Old wives tale.  There used to be an anti Farang law that deprived Thai women of some legal rights if they married a foreigner.  The reporters weren't capable enough to check if this was now or 50 years ago.  

The Thai Nationality Act used to strip Thai women of their nationality if they married foreigners but that was changed decades ago.  The British Nationality Act did the same thing until 1948.

Until 1999 the bureaucrats used to interpret the prohibition against foreigners owning land to mean that Thai women married to foreigners (but not Thai men married to foreigners) could not buy land. But that interpretation was revised in 1999 without the need to change the Land Code.

Since 1999 I can't think of any legal disadvantages that apply to Thai women married to foreigners. I can only assume they meant the benefit of being able enter into more fraudulent marriages with foreigners for money.  There would be little advantage to the foreigners of having a Thai wife, if she gets a divorce.  It would be of use in getting a marriage extension, if she is willing to go to Immigration with him every year. I can't see the use of having a marriage of convenience for a short period of time only and having no cooperation from the Thai "spouse".

On 10/21/2018 at 5:33 PM, Easy Come Easy Go said:

The trick is to have no wife, ever 

well, for most of us that already happened.....    after that it is up to the individual whether they want to roll the dice again or not.   My choice is ..............  ?

On 10/20/2018 at 3:45 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thousands of Thai women are "victims" helping foreigners in "marriages of convenience"

Does this mean I can now get married at a 7 Eleven? Is the charge 15 Baht, same as their other service charges?

13 hours ago, rumak said:

well, for most of us that already happened.....    after that it is up to the individual whether they want to roll the dice again or not.   My choice is ..............  ?

I saw my Dad get screwed over by 2 ex-wives, one took something like 80 grand in one lump sum, the other is taking a monthly earnings and half of his business lol - and those are Western women... (none of those are my mother though) 
So yeah, the marriage game isn't for me. That isn't the only reason, but it is one of the most important ones to me. You can be happily married to someone for years, and then suddenly one day they do something you'd never expect them to do, and money can make people do some evil, crazy and nasty things 

46 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

I saw my Dad get screwed over by 2 ex-wives, one took something like 80 grand in one lump sum, the other is taking a monthly earnings and half of his business lol - and those are Western women... (none of those are my mother though) 
So yeah, the marriage game isn't for me. That isn't the only reason, but it is one of the most important ones to me. You can be happily married to someone for years, and then suddenly one day they do something you'd never expect them to do, and money can make people do some evil, crazy and nasty things 

don't know where you get your wisdom......but sounds like you just might be a unique case of someone who can learn from OTHERS mishaps.  I like to think that I was at least able to learn after one mistake at something (but not always  ????

I never really did believe in this marriage thing........now I would never do it .  Only necessary reason to do it is to get visa for someone to live with you in the western world.   And lots can go wrong once that happens.

roll the dice...yuse take your chances.  Some will tell you its the best thing they ever did.   Some.....

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Does this mean I can now get married at a 7 Eleven? Is the charge 15 Baht, same as their other service charges?

Yes, the charge for marriage is only 15bht, but the downside is divorce costs 20,000,000bht.

Edited 2 minutes ago by BritManToo

Ha ha! As long as i get a receipt from the 7 Eleven, no problem!

Looking at the TNN video report on the link there is definitely some monkey business going on which seems to involve corrupt government officials.  The woman interviewed admitted that she had agreed to a marriage of convenience for money on condition she could get a divorce a year later.  But she said she never signed her name, just had a photograph taken with her new husband. She never saw the marriage certificate, let alone got a copy of it.  I guess there is a scam going on with district offices that they will issue the marriage certificate without doing the mandatory interview with the couple to ensure all details are correct and that it is real marriage, or perhaps they take another woman to stand in and pay officials to overlook that it is someone else.  Immigration must also be involved in the scam as there is no point in doing this unless you can use the marriage certificate to get marriage extensions for which Immigration is obliged to interview the Thai spouse, who is obviously not showing up at Immigration every year to help him renew his visa. 

The women are definitely to blame for agreeing to marry a stranger for B3,000 to 5,000.  But the whole thing is only possible with the connivance of corrupt government officials, something that was overlooked completely in the TNN report. What a surprise!

The woman interviewed complained that she cannot get married to someone else until she can get a divorce which is difficult without cooperation from her husband and without a copy of the marriage certificate. I suppose those are the "benefits" referred to in the poor English translation. Since the husband obviously has no interest in showing up to the district office to sign papers agreeing to an uncontested divorce, the woman effectively cannot get divorced at all. Her only option would be a contested divorce on the grounds of 3 year separation but that requires her to go to court which she clearly cannot afford since she is dirt poor.  On the other hand, since less than 50% of Thai couples don't bother to register their marriages, that might be regrettable but not be a huge issue, if she does enter a genuine relationship in future.

Archived