Thousands of Thai women are "victims" helping foreigners in "marriages of convenience"

Jonathan Fairfield

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

But elsewhere the problem was rife - there are 600 cases under investigation in Nong Bualamphu province

Never seen an Indian in Nong Bua Lamphu.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The problem has been revealed as widespread and usually features men from India and Pakistan who want to come and live and work in Thailand, reported TNA.

Because it's so much easier to work in Thailand if you're married to a Thai lady..................NOT

Just now, madmitch said:

Because it's so much easier to work in Thailand if you're married to a Thai lady..................NOT

That is an excellent point.  Being married only allows you to stay in country not work legally.  So technically a lady doing this is complicit in helping a foreigner work illegally as well.  Victim?  No...

5 minutes ago, remorhaz said:

That is an excellent point.  Being married only allows you to stay in country not work legally.  So technically a lady doing this is complicit in helping a foreigner work illegally as well.  Victim?  No...

I think the point is that with an extension based on marriage you can get a work permit.  You can not with say a retirement extension, ed  visa etc.

10 minutes ago, remorhaz said:

To play devil's advocate I would say they are victims of poverty and shitty education .... Culprit being the corrupt rulers I guess.

YES they are victims, because the article translates and translates badly only a small part. These mafia brookers are Thais who are prospecting in the villages to find the most financially embarrassed women, they tell them you come with your identity card, the registration of your house and we will help you. These sometimes desperate women receive 3000฿ and these brokers earn tens of thousands of ฿, these women are no way at the origin of this idea, receive a misery but for many posters they are not victims. OKAY! Many of you have the same empathy for poor people as a snake for a mouse it is ready to eat.

I've lived here for 5.5 yrs. and every day seem to learn more ways Thais try to get money without working for it.  Maybe lots of people are like this not just Thais, but what do they expect? Something for nothing.

18 hours ago, starky said:

Thank you! What benefits did they lose and further to that it takes all of about 3 minutes down the local amphur to be no longer married. There is no time limit you can get divorced pretty much the same day if you wanted. Another steaming pile of not news

If they know which amphur was used and if they know their 'husbands' name and if they have any paperwork to prove that they are married in the first place.

And the final big if. If they are prepared to confess that the marriage was fraudulent to start with.

Not quite as easy as you suggest I would think.

2 minutes ago, atyclb said:

marrying for money is the # basis of any/all thai marriages regardless of origin of husband

Marrying for money is probably the basis for nearly all marriages world wide!

19 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Why on earth would someone get involved  in a "fake marriage" to stay in Thailand? Indians? India has nothing to envy from Thailand !... Maybe Pakistan or Nepal, but seeing Thailand as "a land of opportunity" seems really far fetched. 

So just more BJ BS...

Have you ever visited India or Pakistan ? 

If you had- I would be surprised at your comment , Thailand is like paradise compared to those two cesspit countries.

Archived