Thousands of Thai women are "victims" helping foreigners in "marriages of convenience"

Jonathan Fairfield

I can fully understand how they feel like victims. My wife of 15 years who has a thriving business, a house in her name, 2 beautiful kids and money for botox treatments (paid & provided by myself) still claims to be a victim.

Didnt you know us farangs are evil by bettering the lives of Thai women ? Its about time we had a clampdown !

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, xerostar said:

I wonder how many muslins from the middle east are marrying Thai women as part of the islamic plan to infiltrate and take over Thailand. From the number of new mosques I've seen their plan seems to be working well.

So..it's a cunning plan?

20 hours ago, bbi1 said:

"The problem has been revealed as widespread and usually features men from India and Pakistan who want to come and live and work in Thailand, reported TNA."

Please stay in your countries...your inability to assimilate eliminates you:)

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

Don't confuse overall statistics with group statistics, and don't confuse GDP with average income. 

Poor Issan farmer girls probably have lower incomes than rich Indians from Bollywood. 

6,600 USD sounds quite good if that's what you can spend every year. But even in comparatively rich Germany a substantial portion of the population has less. 

No one said "rich" indians. Commoners as it were . Get your facts properly. You're ignorant.

The author of this article is suggesting that women don't know what they are doing or that somehow they are tricked into doing something illegal therefore it is not their fault - that they are victims.  My Thai wife is indignant, she said, "of course they know what they are doing", and I agree with her.  There is a growing phenomenon world wide were women are being labelled blameless in any situation involving men.  The Police can see through this and I'm sure we will see Thais who have collaborated with "Agents" to arrange these marriages will be properly dealt with.  It's a growing problem in many countries.  A friend of mine thought he had a genuine marriage to a Fijian Indian, twelve months later she filed for divorce - I generally avoid discussing it with him because he is still bitter - it was arranged through a marriage agency in Australia.

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

This will be the next group to draw the attention of Big Joke,

which is a good thing,as long as genuine marriages don't get  

caught up in it.

regards worgeordie

And how do they not accidentally not hit genuine marriages? These clowns do nothing delicately other than bow and boot lick.

Fingers crosses all of you gents with legit marriages don’t have your lives disrupted, or worse, have it decided that your marriage is a sham.

Living in Thailand these days is living on quicksand.

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Sorry but I would not class India as a cesspit country have you travelled through India I doubt it if you come to that conclusion . I have and there are some wonderful places as well as many wonderful people who make you very welcome.

Actually yes.

My brother had a very good job in Mumbai- what a charmed life - 6 staff , chauffeur etc etc.

Get out of that bubble- a filthy country ( half the country practices open defecation ) , 30% of women are illiterate, and we don’t mention modern day slavery, the caste system  and oppression of women and minorities .

There is no infrastructure to speak of. 

I would agree if you are on holiday  and staying in 5* - yes every one is fabulous.

Most of the people live in absolute poverty .

I repeat Thailand in comparison- a Paradise . 

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:
21 hours ago, starky said:

Thank you! What benefits did they lose and further to that it takes all of about 3 minutes down the local amphur to be no longer married. There is no time limit you can get divorced pretty much the same day if you wanted. Another steaming pile of not news

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If they know which amphur was used and if they know their 'husbands' name and if they have any paperwork to prove that they are married in the first place.

And the final big if. If they are prepared to confess that the marriage was fraudulent to start with.

Not quite as easy as you suggest I would think.

starky said:

Mate don't know what your talking about you both have to be present. No one can take your ID card and just get you married to some unknown foreigner. It also has to be registered at the amphur where they are from. It's only the final big if that is causing the drama and that's the problem. They knew what they were doing was wrong, got screwed over and now want to have a whinge? Boo <deleted> hoo. 

Moonlover said

My wife and I were married in Bangkok whilst staying with relatives. Neither of us would know how to find the Amphur again without assistance. Which also dispenses with  your notion that Thais have to register in their home district. My wife is a 'good ol' Issan gal' and has no connection with Bangkok.

I very much doubt whether these agencies would allow the girls to keep the registration documents which could be used as evidence if things wrong. They would rather hold on to them with the promise that 'don't worry, when the time comes we can arrange your divorce for you'.

They've now got the girls on a hook which would be very convenient for arranging extensions and work permits etc. It's all about controlling them once they have them snared and the longer they can keep them that way, the better it is for them.

So a quickie divorce down the local Amphur? I doubt it very much.

3 hours ago, iamariva1957 said:

This might be very true... I mean why not given that this kind of things happens in many countries. But for the article to make it sound as if it was the 'husband' that is at fault is misleading and flat out erroneous. For it is the 'brokers' (mafia or whomever) that are the route of the issue... along with the greed of everyone (financial or Visa wise).

But to say that the women are unwitting pawns in all of this is... nonsense! They know and as is usual do not see the common sense or past their own desire to make a fast baht. So no... they are not victims they are willing participants (if ever so slightly blind) in a bigger scam.

"Play with a bull you will get the horns" An old saying... but still true. 

No offence Sir. But many westerners, tourists or even expats have no idea at all about a largely rural part of this country where it is difficult and sometimes impossible for many to earn more than 300 ฿ per day. Thailand is a country of 66 000 000 inhabitants that is not limited to Phuket Pattaya or even Bangkok and the incomes of some people in the countryside are incredibly low, suffice to know that the meagre 800 ฿ per month some older farmers received by the state may create jealousy amongst their neighbours who received nothing. When it's not the corrupt officials who steal this miserable little sum by not distribute it to the beneficiaries 

So about your sentence: "They know and as is usual do not see the common sense or past their own desire to make a fast baht". Once again no offence sir but not sure it is "fast  ฿" but perhaps simply how possibly make a few more ฿, when their only possibility is to earn a maximum of  300 ฿ that is to say more or less 8 €/10$ for a full working day. Of course, the criticism is a natural answer, but one could also try to understand, not the thieves and the delinquent, but the poor buggers who wade with difficulties not to drown.

23 hours ago, Russell17au said:

If the woman divorced after 12 months then what benefits would she receive unless it is benefits from her ex-husband in a divorce settlement.

Why are the police not going after the agents and charging them with corruption

If the agents and husband are found and charged with fraud then so must the wife for conspiracy to defraud ???
What's good for one is good for all !!!

8 minutes ago, Trevor Collins said:

Just checked with my wife, who is Issan, and mai noi means "another wife." If I have a mai noi, she says she will kill me. Be very careful how you use this term.

Its "mia noi" or little wife/girlfriend, the main wife then becomes "Mia luang" (The boss basically ????)

Apparently, in years gone by, men would take many "mia noi" (for sex) with permission from Mia Luang and long as she remained Mia Luang and the home or her position was not threatened by them. (Just a tit bit of info ????)

Knew I was born too late !

37 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

No offence Sir. But many westerners, tourists or even expats have no idea at all about a largely rural part of this country where it is difficult and sometimes impossible for many to earn more than 300 ฿ per day. Thailand is a country of 66 000 000 inhabitants that is not limited to Phuket Pattaya or even Bangkok and the incomes of some people in the countryside are incredibly low, suffice to know that the meagre 800 ฿ per month some older farmers received by the state may create jealousy amongst their neighbours who received nothing. When it's not the corrupt officials who steal this miserable little sum by not distribute it to the beneficiaries 

So about your sentence: "They know and as is usual do not see the common sense or past their own desire to make a fast baht". Once again no offence sir but not sure it is "fast  ฿" but perhaps simply how possibly make a few more ฿, when their only possibility is to earn a maximum of  300 ฿ that is to say more or less 8 €/10$ for a full working day. Of course, the criticism is a natural answer, but one could also try to understand, not the thieves and the delinquent, but the poor buggers who wade with difficulties not to drown.

Of course what you said with regards to wage differences within the kingdom... that is something that is well known to this writer. 

However, that is not an excuse. Nor is it the point that most have been making ... albeit through the used of some sarcasm and even criticism. The point is Common Sense. Something that I personally find difficult to locate within the Thai nature. Now perhaps it is poor education, family dynamics, instruction, experience or a number of other factors...  maybe such as the 'gullibility' of the individual predicated on a real need to dig oneself out from a hole. But is that really a free pass. Sure we can understand,  empathize, or even sympathize with said individual with their circumstances. But that does not relinquish their responsibility outright.  

As I said... there is more to this story that has yet to be told, investigated, and examined. For the problem runs deeper. For example, what are the pit falls for BOTH parties receiving the 'help' from the 'brokers'? 

But, I agree that there are mitigating circumstances that exist and that should be addressed without question.

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

The first part of the article implies the Thai Gov considers them victims because they got exploited for as low as 3,000 Baht, instead of holding out for more. ????

Some of those women did not even know they were married to someone, but no mention at all for TV readers...                                                                              

...maybe it's to better satisfy those old dodderers who spend their days and nights on their keyboards waiting in the starting-blocks to criticize every event or people as far as it is related to this country?

Archived