Thousands of Thai women are "victims" helping foreigners in "marriages of convenience"

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/20/2018 at 3:45 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

there are 600 cases under investigation in Nong Bualamphu province, 1000 in Nakorn Pathom and as many as 2,000 in Saraburi alone. 

Big Joke takes down four Nigerian "Romance Scammers" - and 16 Thai associates.

If the ratio is similar to the love scams, will he go after 28.000 Thai associates and beneficiaries? It may help to stock up the cops carpool with pickups.

1 hour ago, Trevor Collins said:

Just checked with my wife, who is Issan, and mai noi means "another wife." If I have a mai noi, she says she will kill me. Be very careful how you use this term.

Most Issan girls say they will kill you if you have a mai noi but then another good Issan friend of mine told me the girls like it "Farang for money'' and an "Issan Cowboy" on the side for fun to spend money with. I thought she was joking but she was not.  More farangs here being hurt than these Thai girls just doing fake marriages for a dollar. Shoes on the wrong foot here. 

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Something's not adding up. Married for years to someone you've never met??? Don't both parties have to be present to sign documents when the marriage certificate is issued at the amphoe office? Doesn't immigration in most cases require both spouses to come to immigration when the marriage visa is first issued and renewed? Aren't police interviews with both spouses sometimes required for the initial marriage visa application? What about requirements about submitting interior and exterior photos of where the married couple lives? How can people get past all of these requirements unless there's money being handed under the table?

I went through about an hour of having an Immigration Officer question all our neighbors and take a lot of photos both inside and out of our house. Even had to show him our bedroom and he asked me if I was working and where my income came from. Asked my wife in Thai if I was working and where I got my money from. Like Gecko123 said, got to be some money going somewhere as they certainly checked me out.

This needs some clarification. Not being one of those who is part of the worldwide practice of marriage for convenience, one thing should be clarified here:

Who is the ' victim '? Is it the one who is being ripped off, or the recipient of the aid.

For those who want to be dumb enough - like millions before them - they don't deserve better. Squandering their hard earned cash on a tart and live a dream that will eventually turn out a nightmare requires a kind of imbecile mind. Reality will eventually bring them back to mother earth - if it isn't too late.

I was under the impression there were far more "victims" on the falang side, mulcted of their life savings by those uneducated Thai women.

My Thai GF would love for me to marry her. There are several obstacles to that I won't go into.

She certainly doesn't convey the impression of a victim.

On 10/20/2018 at 4:29 PM, Russell17au said:

If the woman divorced after 12 months then what benefits would she receive unless it is benefits from her ex-husband in a divorce settlement.

Why are the police not going after the agents and charging them with corruption

Seeing a crime does not motivate the Thai police. Now for a few thousand baht they would be all over it like stink on Shiite.

These women are not victims. They knew exactly what they were doing. Immigration is making look like victims so they don't have to prosecute them for Visa fraud. Truth is they accepted money for a sham marriage the knew about  They knew it was not a legitimate marriage but then did it anyway for MONEY. No matter how you twist it, its  called VISA FRAUD 

51 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Some of those women did not even know they were married to someone, but no mention at all for TV readers...                                                                              

...maybe it's to better satisfy those old dodderers who spend their days and nights on their keyboards waiting in the starting-blocks to criticize every event or people as far as it is related to this country?

They all knew they were married You have to go down to Immigration every year to renew a marriage visa  At immigration they are asked about their marriage. Whoever said they did not know are simply lying 

...this 'warped reality'.....is really getting out of hand.......

...gotta repeat....

...this 'warped reality'....... is really getting out of hand.......

...bloody .....bloody.....nuts......

.....to pretend that ..........oh...what's the point.....

....those that have been bilked out of their life savings know the truth....

...this is utterly insane.....

...ripped off every which way....at every turn...with no recourse....

...but 'they' are the real victims.....???

...jeez....

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Its "mia noi" or little wife/girlfriend, the main wife then becomes "Mia luang" (The boss basically ????)

Apparently, in years gone by, men would take many "mia noi" (for sex) with permission from Mia Luang and long as she remained Mia Luang and the home or her position was not threatened by them. (Just a tit bit of info ????)

Knew I was born too late !

Nah, Islam is still around...

4 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Hmmm...

Just wondering as to the reasons that these types of threads and subject matter receive so much response, commentary, and general activity. ????

I got a love/hate relationship here, love Thailand, hate the people.

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

They all knew they were married You have to go down to Immigration every year to renew a marriage visa  At immigration they are asked about their marriage. Whoever said they did not know are simply lying 

I couldn't agree more. Anyone who has gone through the "Thai wife" extension process would know how thorough the verifications can be: home visit(s), financials, neighbourhood survey, marriage certificate, etc. And unlike other extensions approval is given at the head office of the Division. Hence, if IO corruption was involved it would have to be at two levels. So if the problem was widespread our BJ (I mean Big Joke) should be really worried because it would be beyond the scope of isolated desk officers.

6 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

I couldn't agree more. Anyone who has gone through the "Thai wife" extension process would know how thorough the verifications can be: home visit(s), financials, neighbourhood survey, marriage certificate, etc. And unlike other extensions approval is given at the head office of the Division. Hence, if IO corruption was involved it would have to be at two levels. So if the problem was widespread our BJ (I mean Big Joke) should be really worried because it would be beyond the scope of isolated desk officers.

Good point and the investigations make no sense.  Perhaps it is the groundwork for convincing people that all foreigner marriages make Thai women victims and laws to follow making Thais marriage to non Thais illegal.  

1 hour ago, ZAKY said:

Yes poor victims!!!

Yes poor victims 

They would be if they had no understanding of what is going on, the only way they can be classified as victims is if their identities were stolen and somebody impersonated them at the amphur when signing the documents for marriage.If they went willingly and accepted the money they do not fall into the description of victims.

Archived