Fake marriage to foreigners scandal: A job for Big Joke?

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, micmichd said:
22 hours ago, elviajero said:

Consummation has nothing to do with it! That would only be relevant if one party wanted the marriage annulled!

They have got married under false pretences to get a visa. It's fraud.

Show me one wedding in the world that is not for material advantages to a least one of the parties, and you've shown me an angel. 

There used to be a way to handle material issues at weddings in traditional Thailand. It was called "sin sod" (dowry). Does that still exist?

You seem to have a cynical view of marriage!

People get married for all kinds of reasons. If two people get legally married in Thailand so that the foreigner can get a visa immigration will rightly consider that fraud and will not issue a visa/permit to stay.

Yes 'sin sot's' still exist, but they are irrelevant to the conversation. Paying a sin sot doesn't make a marriage "fake" in the eyes of immigration. Regardless of any financial/material gains, immigration want evidence that the partners have a legally registered marriage, and live together as husband and wife. 

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You seem to have a cynical view of marriage!

People get married for all kinds of reasons. If two people get legally married in Thailand so that the foreigner can get a visa immigration will rightly consider that fraud and will not issue a visa/permit to stay.

Yes 'sin sot's' still exist, but they are irrelevant to the conversation. Paying a sin sot doesn't make a marriage "fake" in the eyes of immigration. Regardless of any financial/material gains, immigration want evidence that the partners have a legally registered marriage, and live together as husband and wife. 

actually i cant help to think that anyone who does marries a Thai (and its not fake) but just for visa must be a bit of a dodo.

After the sinsod as you mention, then theres the house you dont really own, family crisises, sick buffalo etc etc

your expenses will hit 500k in absolutely no time.

and with that you could have buy the elite visa which last 5 years..probably longer than many marriages.

On 10/20/2018 at 5:04 PM, elviajero said:

And when people moan and complain about how Thai immigration processes extensions of stay for spouses; this is -- as I've been writing for years -- the reason. Fake marriages! It's not immigration deliberately being obstructive.

Do you agree there are other ways to handle that problem and do you agree that it can have a knock on effect to those of us in legitimate marriages to thai nationals?

1 hour ago, bizboi said:

Do you agree there are other ways to handle that problem and do you agree that it can have a knock on effect to those of us in legitimate marriages to thai nationals?

I believe that fake marriages are increasing year on year, which means immigrantion have to react, and those of us with legitimate marriages suffer.

I find dealing with immigration is a walk in the park, and I think we a lucky that they aren’t tougher than they are with us in tackling the fake marriage problem.

4 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

actually i cant help to think that anyone who does marries a Thai (and its not fake) but just for visa must be a bit of a dodo.

After the sinsod as you mention, then theres the house you dont really own, family crisises, sick buffalo etc etc

and with that you could have buy the elite visa which last 5 years..probably longer than many marriages.

I just love generalisations. 

My marriage has lasted 18 years and I didn't pay sin sot either.

Yes the house is in my wife's name and I would lose it if we divorced just the same as I lost my house in the UK when I got divorced there.

For a family crisis ALL of the family work together and share the load.

BTW we have never had a buffalo in the family.

4 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

When my wife and I got married her family returned the sin sot to my wife who gave it back to me. For many families theses days it’s just ‘ceremonial’, I legally own the house we live in, I’m happy to help out the family if I can because that’s what families do, no one in my family owns a buffalo, and I’ve been married a lot longer than 5 years.

You will mostly only here the horror stories, but I can assure you that there are many long term successful marriages.

AND one of the longer threads here is about Brit Embassy will no longer authenticate your dodgy claim of income.

A pretty offensive claim. It is a lot of hassle faking all those pension letters for the British embassy i will let you know. Getting the paper just right is a pain! So much easier to go to an embassy, think of a figure and claim that's your income .....

Those village wedding are real eye openers, especially when the pig Is

done in. And the country smells are not always pleasant as well.

Oh what memories. The nice hot weather and green scenery and

lovely flowers were also memories, so not all was doom and gloom.

Geezer

14 hours ago, connda said:

Perhaps they can jail and deport me for pruning the flowers in the garden.  You know -- taking away a job reserved for a Thai and all.  Heinous criminal acts from what I hear along with playing Bridge and engaging in home improvements and cooking  <Gasp> I'll have to hide the pruning shears, hammer, screwdriver, the electric drill and frying pan before the Big Jokester arrives.  

Dont forget to wipe your fingerprints off the tools just in case they find them

Archived