Hello! Chiang Rai

MadameM

We've been here 50 days so far -- with no regret. We found that:

-Condotel is a nice place for long stay. Staff and community are pleasant. We like the Bistro - the restaurant down stairs; it's convenient and has variety of food. Google Chiang Rai Condotel if anyone's interested in vacation rental.

-We checked on Mae Fah Luong University Hospital. My husband is now a routine customer for Traditional Thai massage. It's not expensive, though. I got sick a little and had a visit there with Dr. Chusak. I got back to my normal in one week and the healthcare cost is far cheaper than Sriburin Hospital in downtown.

-We use AIS for phone and Internet -- work fine. The room we rent has TrueVision satellite TV platinum package; my husband can catch up with things going on in the US and watch his favorite movie channels -- feel like home, in short.

-I am adapting to the life of the local. For example, driving in the city, the red light somehow means yellow light. I can expect a few cars running through the red, so I'm very careful. Double parking is O.K. and nobody's mad about that. The car has the right of the way, not the pedestrians.

-There are many good restaurants that attract Thais and Westerners -- I guess. The Hungry Wolf, Chewit Thammada, The Ribbs, to name  a few.

-Tops at Central is a good food store. I'm amaze that I can find many cans and boxes of brands I usually use in the US. BigC is not bad as well, but less variety. The worse for both is the parking spot. 

-The weather is lovely. It can be warm someday, but not that warm. I like the way the rain here is typically coming late in the afternoon or during the night.

-We decide to use Isuzu pick up. Not too big and maneuvered well in the crowded and narrow streets. We took the car down to Bangkok and Pattaya on one trip and to Chiang Mai on another. Run great and there is Isuzu dealers and service center everywhere.

-Our stuff we've shipped from the US finally comes. We brought our old Sony HD TV because we brought our old DVD/VCR player, and because we have 4 boxes of movies in DVD/VCR.

-The guy from TrueVision came to install the Sat. box, and as I was worried about -- the HDMI cable or port didn't work with the US - HD TV, so the guy connect the Sat. box to the TV with the 3 color vdo cable. Then, the box can talk to the TV, but they turn the picture into black and white. The guy has tried his best, so we just have to get the most out of what we have -- until we get tired of it and run out to buy a new TV from BigC.  

I miss chatting in ThaiVisa due to all of the excitements and adjustments in the new place, but will check in once in a while.

Interesting, though, several westerners I talked to do not like ThaiVisa. Hmm!

Sadly in some Chiangrai circles, a hatred of ThaiVisa is a prerequisite for being considered “friendly”.

Just enjoy your stay, keep your own counsel and don’t fall prey to the negative forces which abound.  Finding that you have little time for this forum is a good sign in my opinion.  You are obviously keeping busy and gaining experience through doing.

Hi M.M I can't and anything to what VF has just said, he has a way with words. So glad you two have  adjusted to our lovely province and city. I don't know anything about electric teck but I am sure there must be a way/ patch to making you Tv / video working properly. I think you might hear from some of the resident teck experts.

Thanks for the update and synopsis well done continue to explore and enjoy.

Good to hear you're settling in well, MadameM.

I'll point out to members that any issues with former members will not be discussed here and any attempt to resurrect the problems of the past will we dealt with under the forum rules.

They are several years old now, lets move on.

I'll take this opportunity to thank those who sent best wishes or visited me in in hospital during my current illness, I still have several months of treatment to go during which I'll not always be available to moderate here.

....however, ThaiVisa staff will still be monitoring it closely. :cool:

I think many people get the impression that ThaiVisa offers a platform for severe and often insulting criticism of Thai cultural and political behaviour..... excluding criticism of the monarchy of course.

Having lived in Thailand for about 14 months many years ago, and having visited the country many times more recently, I have my own view on Thai cultural behaviour, and it's generally very positive.

However, my main gripe is the congestion caused by the increasing  number of tourists. If the criticisms by members of ThaiVisa can slow down this escalating tourism, as a result of negative advertising, then I think that is also positive, from my perspective. ????

People who criticize others are often just projecting their own faults and deficiencies onto others.

8 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

I'll take this opportunity to thank those who sent best wishes or visited me in in hospital during my current illness, I still have several months of treatment to go during which I'll not always be available to moderate here.

....however, ThaiVisa staff will still be monitoring it closely. :cool:

I'm sorry to hear about your illness. Whatever it is, I hope your body fights back forcefully. Get well soon and take care.

4 hours ago, villagefarang said:

I was simply acknowledging the veracity of the OP’s observation that several westerners told her they do not like ThaiVisa.  No reference was made to the distant past.????

Nothing on the web is loved forever. Thai Visa still serves a valuable purpose, information. As long as that is true some of us will stick around.

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Nothing on the web is loved forever. Thai Visa still serves a valuable purpose, information. As long as that is true some of us will stick around.

I would say that I was well prepared to be back to my own country from engaging in Thaivisa. I am really appreciate those who provided me with valuable information. Of course, there are some nasty comments, but getting involved in the World Wide Web is to expose yourself to the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ???? So, pick and skip! When I mention Thaivisa to some folks here, I do with appreciation. And some said Nay, and I said "Hmm!" (interesting -- in my mind). Anyway, I can't thank you guys enough.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Is there any place where we can stay for a few days (less than a week) on a budget in Chiang Rai?

I believe condotel is for long term stay 

try orchids or baan bua guesthouses ...right off of jed yod road...both around 500 baht

On 10/24/2018 at 4:05 PM, Randell said:

M.M out of curiosity  what are the cost that you have incurred at MFL hospital ie doctors visit and massage?

M.M What I meant was what were the doctors fee for visit and the cost of the massage treatment. I am curious as I can't find anything to fo with fees on website

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 11:15 AM, villagefarang said:

Just enjoy your stay, keep your own counsel and don’t fall prey to the negative forces which abound.  Finding that you have little time for this forum is a good sign in my opinion.  You are obviously keeping busy and gaining experience through doing.

I didn't even think about checking into thaivisa until fairly recently .  Guess I was keeping busy, as VF points out as being a good thing.  Time and age has me looking at the computer a bit more nowadays.  Now if I can only remember not to fall prey to those negative forces !   ommmmmmmm

Hehe. I am a new member too . Today is my 20th day and I love this place. Processing visa and property to relocate to Chiang Rai will be my main focus over the next 2 years. However I am too shy to open a topic to say hello to all the seniors here ???? I hope to see you some days in the future. Hehe. 

if anyone has information abt hill land (quite and far from the city is good)'feel free to contact me. I stayed in Maechan area (near Doi isara and its amazing there. Would be nice to build a house there or Maesalong nai/nok).

I will go back and forth between SIN and Chiang rai to process everything. I am really excited about the new life here. 

a peaceful place with an expat community (well educated and friendly) that i find pretty interesting to watch the discussions everyday. Hehe.

On 10/29/2018 at 12:35 AM, Randell said:

M.M What I meant was what were the doctors fee for visit and the cost of the massage treatment. I am curious as I can't find anything to fo with fees on website

250 baht/hour for relaxing massage -- that's it.

350 baht/hour for curing massage. Everything's included in the price. You check in at the massage unit, the nurse check your vital signs and sends you to see the doctor. Then you go right to the massage bed and have a wonderful massage for 1 hour.

On 10/29/2018 at 12:35 AM, Randell said:

250 baht/hour for relaxing massage -- that's it.

350 baht/hour for curing massage. Everything's included in the price. You check in at the massage unit, the nurse check your vital signs and sends you to see the doctor. Then you go right to the massage bed and have a wonderful massage for 1 hour.

Archived