Mung Bean Sprout

guardian

Sorry did not know where to post this.

I like to eat mung bean sprout. I soak in water for 2-3 days. After they sprout, I put a cupful of sprouts with water just enough to sink all of it and microwave it on high between 2 to 3 minutes. Sometime, after eating the beans, I drink the water while other times I toss the water out.

My query is whether microwaving destroys any nutritional value? Also, does drinking this water give any added benefits or am I better off draining and tossing it out.

I like to eat mung bean sprout. I soak in water for 2-3 days. After they sprout, I put a cupful of sprouts with water just enough to sink all of it and microwave it on high between 2 to 3 minutes. Sometime, after eating the beans, I drink the water while other times I toss the water out.

My query is whether microwaving destroys any nutritional value? Also, does drinking this water give any added benefits or am I better off draining and tossing it out.

Hi, Guardian. I hate sprouts, but I would advise not leaving them in the same water more more than a half day. Bacteria like standing water.

Hi, Guardian. I hate sprouts, but I would advise not leaving them in the same water more more than a half day. Bacteria like standing water.

yeah...you oughta drain an' rinse a couple ob times during the sprouting...sumone said to cover the sprouting jar wid cheesecloth which helps and acts like a sieve...

Thanks for the info, JG n TW, but I'm already aware of these water changes and covering the jar etc. When I'm ready to consume, the water I mentioned in the bowl is not the water used for sprouting but just normal drinking water I add just before placing the bowl in the microwave. My concern is about this water after the cooking in MW and also does MW cooking degrades the sprout's nutritional value?

Edited by guardian

cooking (the addition ob heat) is an oxidation process and to cook anything alone will necessarily break down the ingredient to constituent levels. Widde sprouts I usually use dem inna salad, fresh and uncooked or in the last moments of a stir fry such that nuttin' is lost nutrishionally. If you conserve de water after MV for other purposes then nuttin' is lost...

microwaved bean sprouts??? :o ...puttem fresh on bread wid yer hoummous...