Denied entry to Thailand!

23 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

How is having Thai directors/owners bending the rules? It’s complying with the rules isn’t it?

Not sure what Sheryl meant by that. But not all companies have to have Thai directors/owners either.

How is having Thai directors/owners bending the rules? It’s complying with the rules isn’t it?
It is (and hard to understand how she could have established a company without doing so, has to have majority Thai ownership).

But listing people as owners/managers/share holders of a company who in fact have nothing at all to do with it, is bending the law.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

It is (and hard to understand how she could have established a company without doing so, has to have majority Thai ownership).

But listing people as owners/managers/share holders of a company who in fact have nothing at all to do with it, is bending the law.

Okay, thanks but none of that occurred. Company has 100% foreign ownership, and foreign business certificate, and all directors are foreigners, as per Thai law for this type of company.

After reading a bit more, the original issue regarding the legality of digital nomads working in Thailand seems to have been settled.  I won't be pursuing that.  Best hope now is that the so-called "Regulatory Guillotine" may include some improvements for ease of doing business in Thailand.

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If they are legal shareholders then that complies fully with the rules, no?

Edited by Mark1066

6 hours ago, anon7854 said:

vague suspicion is actually the infamous  Section 12 (3) that they use when they cannot come up with a better reason for denial of entry.  I know someone personally that actually had to file an appeal for the retarded reason above (and succeeded in demonstrated he is not in Thailand for work) despite showing all the requested documents / cash at that time.

You are certainly correct that denial on suspicion, or no valid reason at all, can and does happen at some bad entry points.  But I do not think this is legal - not that "legality" seems to matter w/o oversight.

The appeal-case you mention is the first "success" I have heard.  Can you tell us more about the process - how he got the form, filed it, how long he was detained, interview or other process-steps involved? 

I am aware of only one reported case (here) of an attempted appeal at an airport (had visa + required-cash), and the IOs response was to ignore this, and put him on the next plane out.  This was witnessed by another person detained at the same time, who also reported it.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/992077-entry-denied-bangkok-airport/

... end of story here (would not let him appeal):

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/992077-entry-denied-bangkok-airport/?page=23&tab=comments#comment-12091161

Also lied to him, warning him against using safe land-border points of entry, saying this was grounds of suspicion of working illegally.

I would be interested to hear about a successful appeal case.  Maybe others could learn from it, and help put a stop to this arbitrary madness.

Edited by JackThompson

21 hours ago, GuestForLife said:

I've read recently that it is just the 15% of the gdp

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:
1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I thought I'd read that it was nearer 7%.

2017 stats: 9.4% direct. 21% including indirect.

When it comes to GDP, remember that this figure includes broken-windows and the medical and cleanup of road-accidents.  In these cases, there is more downside than upside - in the best case, moving water from one side to the other of the same barrel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

Contrast to tourism, which is foreign-sourced money flowing in, minus infrastructure costs, the latter which are offset by VAT taxes on the spending (generally refunded only by short-term visitors for "big box store" purchases). 

If we were to break-down the cost/benefit - the "tour group" types would have the greatest infrastructure load and highest vat-refund % vs their total-spending per-capita. 

The OP, able to afford flights out/back + hotels there + visas, etc - clearly a greater benefit in contrast to the masses coming in on "tours."  The only shame, is that he cannot just apply for another 60-days in-country (similar to the Philippines), and spend even more of his income here, vs other countries.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sp4wnY said:

Always avoid female IOs at the border. They seem to have the need to outscore their male counterparts. 

I think they feel the need to show that they are masculine and tough and no push-overs , whilst the males are usually quite reasonable

• 3 weeks later...

it's complicated and seems so random. It might have something to do with time between visas. I think I read on the Thai Embassy website that after so many extensions you are required to stay out for a set period of time before you can return. I was in Saigon in January and had to show my departure flight from BKK back to the US before I could get a boarding pass for BKK. I am still in BKK. Very strange things. Try the Embassy website, NOT one of those websites that 'do all the work for you' ones. 

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 7:16 AM, lamyai3 said:

You mentioned elsewhere they refused you entry on not having the 20000 in cash on you - unfortunately this is one of the legitimate ways of denying entry here.

Money in cash is not a condition . One can have a Thai Bank Acc showing 20,000, (like I have) book updated before leaving the Kingdom with a letter from the bank confirming it. Travellers Cheques , others currency .I have a Pound Stirling Acc with more then enough. A letter from the bank shown in Baht equivalent with the words in Thai " Money can not be taken out of the account outside of Thailand This helps in case I'm out of the country for some time. I suggest retirees or long time stay deposit their capital  in a foreign currency account  in their  country's money, then transfer it into Thai Baht as required.

On 1/16/2019 at 7:06 AM, Sp4wnY said:

Always avoid female IOs at the border. They seem to have the need to outscore their male counterparts. 

It was a male officer that referred me to his supervisor...who then overruled his subordinate in every matter.

Female officer questioned me, but on seeing my papers, made no further issue.

So cannot agree that it is a female problem.

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

Money in cash is not a condition . One can have a Thai Bank Acc showing 20,000, (like I have) book updated before leaving the Kingdom with a letter from the bank confirming it. Travellers Cheques , others currency .I have a Pound Stirling Acc with more then enough. A letter from the bank shown in Baht equivalent with the words in Thai " Money can not be taken out of the account outside of Thailand This helps in case I'm out of the country for some time. I suggest retirees or long time stay deposit their capital  in a foreign currency account  in their  country's money, then transfer it into Thai Baht as required.

See the first few replies to the thread - the OP was on a tourist visa, nothing is mentioned to indicate that they have a Thai bank account. Inability to show cash or traveller's cheques is an increasingly frequent reason given by IOs to bar entry. 

On 2/5/2019 at 4:14 PM, Jimdandy said:

I think I read on the Thai Embassy website that after so many extensions you are required to stay out for a set period of time before you can return.

There is no such rule/law.  But if you see something like this, please link to it.  The only example I can think of is the French Thai Consulate, who enforce a "90-days out" rule before they will issue another Tourist-type Visa. 

On 2/5/2019 at 4:14 PM, Jimdandy said:

I was in Saigon in January and had to show my departure flight from BKK back to the US before I could get a boarding pass for BKK

This is not unusual - and a stipulation for applying for a Visa Exempt entry.  If you have a valid Visa, you do not need to show a ticket - but you may need to talk to a supervisor at the airline-desk to get your boarding-pass, due to ignorance of some staff.

21 hours ago, Percy P said:

Immigration at entry-points will not look at bank-books.  Cash or travelers checks only are accepted if they are considering denying-entry based on your not having the 20K Baht.  

Note that the IATA guidelines state the money on plastic is OK, but this is incorrect.  Ideally, the airlines would ask all travelers to show the money to board - hopefully causing a stink that would get this ancient and idiotic rule (given ATMs are everywhere) revoked. 

Edited by JackThompson

On 1/14/2019 at 8:28 PM, Misty said:

Okay, thanks but none of that occurred. Company has 100% foreign ownership, and foreign business certificate, and all directors are foreigners, as per Thai law for this type of company.

Right, otherwise all multinationals will require Thai directors in the board. That won't be acceptable to multinationals, I think

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

This is not unusual - and a stipulation for applying for a Visa Exempt entry.  If you have a valid Visa, you do not need to show a ticket - but you may need to talk to a supervisor at the airline-desk to get your boarding-pass, due to ignorance of some staff.

I had a valid Thailand visa at the time

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2018 at 10:33 AM, poanoi said:

you can buy ED visa, or if you are above 50, a retirement extension

I never understood this. If he was marked as not enough money or they think he is working....an education visa just says he goes to school...and by no way shows how he is paying for the school or his daily activities and living expenses. It is just making it more difficult for him to do the same thing he is doing therd currently...and forcing or turning many people to rethink where they decide to live andspend their money.

2 hours ago, Bdn6768 said:

I never understood this. If he was marked as not enough money or they think he is working....an education visa just says he goes to school...and by no way shows how he is paying for the school or his daily activities and living expenses. It is just making it more difficult for him to do the same thing he is doing therd currently...and forcing or turning many people to rethink where they decide to live andspend their money.

An ED extension shows you are probably paying "extra" to immigration for that extension.  They did a "crackdown" a few years ago, which allows them to collect "extra" every 90-days - or they give short-extensions and/or create other problems.  No such "extra fee" mechanism exists for tourist-entries. 

I don't think those raking in the "extra" fees consider or care about the welfare of the country.

Edited by JackThompson