Cebu info please!

CG1 Blue

Hi

I'm going to stay in Cebu for 5 days in November. I've spent a lot of time in Thailand and other south Asian countries over the past 18 years, but I've never been to the Philippines. 

While in Cebu I have two aims: 1) to sample the exciting nightlife, and 2) to go see some wildlife and natural scenery

From looking at various websites I gather I will achieve the first goal by staying somewhere near Mango Square, which I'll do for the first 3 nights. 

For the remaining 2 days I'd like to go somewhere to satisfy the nature geek in me. I like trekking through tropical forests spotting reptiles, insects, birds, flora etc. etc. I'm not so keen on organised tours where often I feel a lot of time is wasted on stuff that doesn't appeal to me. I'm also not so interested in diving, although I might consider snorkelling if Cebu is not a place for tropical forest treks. 

Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance. 

15 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Head down the coast to Oslob. You can go swimming with whale sharks. There are many You Tube videos from various folks who have done this ... looks like an incredible experience. I believe the sharks are pretty friendly.

Thanks AlexRich. I've read a lot about that experience and I might give it a go! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

1) to sample the exciting nightlife

Cebu has never been known for nightlife (Manila but mostly Angeles City capture that crown) and recent clean up campaigns have reduced what little there is in Cebu.  But yes that is about the only remaining area from what I read - but hardly described as exciting by most.  Meeting girls during the day in Ayala Mall seems to be preferred.  And I hope you do understand not to get near any drugs while there - they are dead serious from the top in there anti drug campaigns.

• Like 1

Spent several weeks there on business last year.

Too much shooting going on in Cebu lately for my taste.

The city is mostly dumpy; I wouldn't bar hop around there at night nowadays.

If you know how to dance Latin, or just want to meet some decent party folks, there is a fun Salsa group that has a weekly dance night at local clubs.

You can find  them on FB.

When I was there, they had their night at Maya Mexican, which is a decent restaurant also. 

Other than that, if I were in Cebu on vacation, I would try the resorts on Mactan island for the night life.

You can find some great Cebu video guides on Utube from the local expats.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Cebu has never been known for nightlife (Manila but mostly Angeles City capture that crown) and recent clean up campaigns have reduced what little there is in Cebu.  But yes that is about the only remaining area from what I read - but hardly described as exciting by most.  Meeting girls during the day in Ayala Mall seems to be preferred.  And I hope you do understand not to get near any drugs while there - they are dead serious from the top in there anti drug campaigns.

Thanks for the info lopburi.  And drugs are not my thing -thankfully! 

32 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Thanks for the info lopburi.  And drugs are not my thing -thankfully! 

Advise was to readership as suspect many recall much less strict days in Philippines and are still experiencing such in other Asian locations.  Would not want anyone caught out by someone offering or asking for something but actually offering up the buyer.  Also blackmail is common and sometimes hard to know if official or not.  And this also applies to ID card age.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Old post, but maybe of interest for others in 2019.

Cebu don't have much nightlife left now.

Mango square demised since 2017, lisences for night entertainment was not renewed.

Mango square got new tenants, laundry shop, many small restaurants, and a new barbecue plaza, that's todays family friendly mango square in 2019.

Few discos left at mango, mostly deserted nowadays.

Bikini bars are still left, located 5 minute walk down from mango, but they've seen better days. Not many guests on any day, for a reason or two. lack of quality, and increased prices.

Cebu is not a place for nightlife or mongering, that was the past. Now its just a city for tourism only.

Tourism:

Bantayan Island, 4 hrs bus ride from cebu city + ferry.

Malapasqua island.

Moalboal.

Oslob.

Nearby Bohol island.

All beach life.

For trekking and forest, I think more south of the country, no personal knowledge. Ask on local forums.

For nightlife: Angeles city and Subic bay.

Youtube is your friend.

Regards

ExpatPH

• Thanks 1