Canadian woman arrested for spray painting wall in Chiang Mai released on bail

webfact

2 hours ago, car720 said:

These grafitti people are unwanted in every country in the world.

I cannot figure out what makes them tick.

minority complexes
and not being able to do or think of anything constructive that would get noticed,
like making a contribution to their hood or society in general.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sunluvr said:

I'm a Canadian and quite disgusted with her and her friends' actions, wish they let them both stew in jail for at least a few more days at least.. she's apparently a 'ramp agent' for WestJet in Canada (easily found her profile on FB, even a pic with her mom, wearing what looks like the same backwards facing ball cap).. I wonder what her employer would think about her actions, not very good public relations for them..

here are the 2 'quality tourists':

https://www.facebook.com/BrittSizzle (oh I see she also lists 'Liquor Depot Canada' as another place of work ????

https://www.facebook.com/lee.furlong.944

There must be an irony that Brittney, the (alleged) woman, works at Liqor Depot Canada, whereas Lee has no workplaces or schools to show - must explain his spelling.

2 hours ago, sunluvr said:

I'm a Canadian and quite disgusted with her and her friends' actions, wish they let them both stew in jail for at least a few more days at least.. she's apparently a 'ramp agent' for WestJet in Canada (easily found her profile on FB, even a pic with her mom, wearing what looks like the same backwards facing ball cap).. I wonder what her employer would think about her actions, not very good public relations for them..

here are the 2 'quality tourists':

https://www.facebook.com/BrittSizzle (oh I see she also lists 'Liquor Depot Canada' as another place of work ????

https://www.facebook.com/lee.furlong.944

I noticed this post on one of those profiles: (2011-10-02)
""

44104228_2131737476849000_17269437720480

hate da way I <"a not TV PC word indicating an adult act"> everythin up
""

Time to put this ridiculous farce to bed; minor vandalism of a modern, re-constructed wall is not mass murder, but as ever, Thai authorities puff themselves up with righteous outrage and adopt a face that threatens dire consequences, to terrify the perpetrators. Eventually, when enough contrition and apology has been shown and sufficient excuses have been made, they will fine the children a few thousand Baht and send them on their way.

1 minute ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Time to put this ridiculous farce to bed; minor vandalism of a modern, re-constructed wall is not mass murder, but as ever, Thai authorities puff themselves up with righteous outrage and adopt a face that threatens dire consequences, to terrify the perpetrators. Eventually, when enough contrition and apology has been shown and sufficient excuses have been made, they will fine the children a few thousand Baht and send them on their way.

good tactics to scare of the other would be Banksy's

44 minutes ago, shackleton said:

where would people be with out the GoFundMe page 

while it helps the deserving  not sure about others taking advantage 

of peoples generosity 

Nobody twists your arm to donate.

38 minutes ago, twig said:

A fine to cover the costs of restoring the property to the way it was at the time is all that's necessary.

Kidnapping would just be the usual excess of the brown-shirt protection racket gangs.

Hardly a deterrent.

3 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

Why point out that the "woman" is Canadian who only sprayed the "B."? But no mention that the man who sprayed most of the graffiti was from Liverpool, England, except for in the linked story.

Because days ago we had the whole story on a Thai Visa post about both of them and that generated pages and pages of comment.  This post is about her being released on bail. In my opinion we have already heard too much about both of the idiots.  Fine them, deport them and let's move on.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“I came to as I finished writing the B and I stopped because I knew it was bad,” she said Tuesday in an email interview with The Canadian Press. “But it was already too late.”

Baloney!  Kids - simply own up to what you did without excuses, take your medicine, and learn from it.  Then become an advocate for not doing stupid stuff when traveling outside of liberal womb of Western countries.  If you did this in Singapore, the permanent physical scars would have been a reminder. 
Think on the bright side: you can learn Thai massage while in Chiang Mai Women's Prison. 

4 hours ago, MekkOne said:

Those are not 'graffiti people' just 2 drunk 'lads', typical millennial...

So that means that if they are drunk its all OK. Rubbish, if they have to learn the hard way thats fine by me, anyway it was a man and a woman, not two drunk lads

4 hours ago, MekkOne said:

Those are not 'graffiti people' just 2 drunk 'lads', typical millennial...

If you read the post a bit more carefully you will come to understand that "one of the drunk lads" as you stated is actually a female from Alberta Canada !!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A Canadian who was arrested in northern Thailand for spraying paint on an ancient wall

Just to keep this real: The old city walls are not "ancient" at all but are of relatively recent construction.  However with that said, they are symbolic, and being symbolic they have meaning for Thais.  So spray paint their 'symbol' and look out below!

If you want to see truly ancient walls, then travel from Thapae Road to Loi Khoh down Kampandin Road and look to your left - that is the "ancient" wall.  You could paint it, pee on it, park on it, climb it - Thais don't care.  It's the real wall, but it's fallen into the dust bin of history and no longer has any significance for Thais.  Funny how reality works, 'eh? 

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

No matter still vandalism. Would you want it on your house?

No but would not want to send someone to jail for 10 years for painting a "replica" of an ancient wall.  Just charge them for repair of wall (paint removal) and a small fine ,time served.

1 minute ago, Jingjock said:

So that means that if they are drunk its all OK. Rubbish, if they have to learn the hard way thats fine by me, anyway it was a man and a woman, not two drunk lads

The drunk defense is no longer an acceptable excuse in many countries, certainly not for causing injury through drunk driving and other crimes. See how heavy the penalties are in the US.

1 minute ago, Tony125 said:

No but would not want to send someone to jail for 10 years for painting a "replica" of an ancient wall.  Just charge them for repair of wall (paint removal) and a small fine ,time served.

Do you really think that's going to deter anyone from committing a similar crime? You only have to look at the ugly proliferation of graffiti in western countries to realise that a smack on the wrist never deterred anyone.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Do you really think that's going to deter anyone from committing a similar crime? You only have to look at the ugly proliferation of graffiti in western countries to realise that a smack on the wrist never deterred anyone.

The punishment is supposed to fit the crime. You don't execute someone for littering and they should not have to spend 10 years in jail for a stupid/drunken prank on a not ancient wall.

Just now, Tony125 said:

The punishment is supposed to fit the crime. You don't execute someone for littering and they should not have to spend 10 years in jail for a stupid/drunken prank on a not ancient wall.

No one has said they are going to do 10 years, that's an absolute maximum that I imagine is never utilised, similarly with the huge fine. These youngsters have grown up in societies that are so soft on crime that they believe they are untouchable. Let Thailand, like Singapore make an example out of them. How happy would you be to come home and find graffiti all over your fence and front of your house? Might not be quite so magnanimous then.

17 minutes ago, connda said:

Just to keep this real: The old city walls are not "ancient" at all but are of relatively recent construction.  However with that said, they are symbolic, and being symbolic they have meaning for Thais.  So spray paint their 'symbol' and look out below!

If you want to see truly ancient walls, then travel from Thapae Road to Loi Khoh down Kampandin Road and look to your left - that is the "ancient" wall.  You could paint it, pee on it, park on it, climb it - Thais don't care.  It's the real wall, but it's fallen into the dust bin of history and no longer has any significance for Thais.  Funny how reality works, 'eh? 

..damage to someone's property..over and out.

Archived