USA income affidavit

23 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I forgot to mention she also said if I transferred 65 K a month every month  to a thai bank account that she would accept that instead of the 800k in the Thai account. But no more accepted USA embassy verification letters dated after January 1, 2019. 

65K a month left in your account untouched for 12 months that shows 800,000 at end of the year, 65K a month that you can use them top up with 3 months to go before renewal, or 65K a month you can use to live on?

• Confused 3

Just now, Kadilo said:

65K a month left in your account untouched for 12 months that shows 800,000 at end of the year, 65K a month that you can use them top up with 3 months to go before renewal, or 65K a month you can use to live on?

He clearly meant the two methods (as least, not sure about combo) would remain EXACTLY the same except for the use of income letters.

Bank method

800K in Thai bank account seasoned for two months (first extension application) and three months subsequent

TOTALLY UNCHANGED

Income method

Instead of proving income via income letter the officer told this guy you'd need to transfer in at least 65K baht MONTHLY into Thailand, regardless of whether you actually need to SPEND that much. For that you wouldn't have any worries about showing any specific balance at the application. It would be all based on showing the INCOME flowing into Thailand. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

because otherwise what's to stop someone from depositing  and withdrawing the same 65 K every month

As some people I know were doing exactly that with their UK bank 'income'. That is why the BE have said they cannot 'verify' the incomes, but the Thai IO want them to. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

He clearly meant the two methods (as least, not sure about combo) would remain EXACTLY the same except for the use of income letters.

Bank method

800K in Thai bank account seasoned for two months (first extension application) and three months subsequent

TOTALLY UNCHANGED

Income method

Instead of proving income via income letter the officer told this guy you'd need to transfer in at least 65K baht MONTHLY into Thailand, regardless of whether you actually need to SPEND that much. For that you wouldn't have any worries about showing any specific balance at the application. It would be all based on showing the INCOME flowing into Thailand. 

Don't shoot me here but could you not transfer in 65K every month to one bank account. Withdraw it and then send it back out to where it came from 2 days later. Repeat monthly??? Take your bank book showing the amount coming in only. 

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

I said I heard about British but not USA. She said as of January 1, 2019 it applies to USA embassy also

Why only 2 nations? Does this not mean Aussies stat decs will be stopped as well? Indeed all nationalities retiring here should be treated equally?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

do they accept Google maps?

Yes, but it is amassing that Immigration can not use Google maps, the mailman does not have any problem finding your location

Edited by Athens
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

I don’t know. She spoke English well and was polite. She said I needed to show 800 k in a Thai bank three months before I apply for extension next year. Then she said I could also show 65k or more transferred monthly every month to a thai bank and that would be ok also. This year as long as the USA embassy letter is dated before January 1, 2019 then they will accept them the first six months of next year and then no more. She had some form that she checked off as she told me the information. She asked me what I would probably do next year and I said I would put 800 k in the Thai bank and she checked another box and then I waited for my passport back. 

Edited by Wake Up
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Why only 2 nations? Does this not mean Aussies stat decs will be stopped as well? Indeed all nationalities retiring here should be treated equally?

Other countries have their income verified by the embassy, so no need for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

IMO if someone does not have a monthly income of 65 k one is not ready to retire. 

So should they work until they die, then - even though they could live well in Thailand (or Cambodia, Vietnam, PI, Latin America) on 40K/mo or less?  There was a study done of hospice-patients about regrets - "Wish they had spent more time working," was not a popular answer.

Granted, there is a balance to be had in deciding on such matters - but most GenXers will never have a private-pension - just some savings / investments if they are fortunate - and Social-Security/State-Pension amounts are far below 65K Baht/mo. 

Pulling 800K out of investments to put in a bank-acct is not a welcome option to many of us - so "rotate the money" it is, I suppose. 

I wonder how long until there is an automated service offered to handle it all?  They'll have to keep their fees below than the annual "agent fee" (15K to 25K) - which bypasses the financials altogether.

23 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

The OP did not say the various Embassies  would be stopping them. The IO said they would not accept them. We will only know if Thai immigration publish something. 

Edited by pontious
add
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

I'm pretty sure my days here in Thailand are numbered after some 13 years.  Alas . . . .

I do not have 800K in a bank here nor am I willing to deposit that amount and I do not need 65K to live and I am also unwilling to bring that amount in.  The heck of it is that I have several million dollars in brokerage accts in the States.   I live quietly and modestly here and I think I am the very kind of guy that Thailand might want to have about.

My choice to NOT do those things and I'm not looking for sympathy.  It's early days yet so we'll all just have to see how it works itself out. 

This lady was a supervisor and seemed authorative and had a form she filled out while talking to me but as UJ says she is one supervisor and I really don’t think Thailand wants to get rid of guys like you. Maybe they will work it out and change things again once they think through all of this. I am curious if any other Americans got the same talk I did today at CW. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1