USA income affidavit

17 minutes ago, Geck0 said:

You are on retirement visa and she ask you what are you doing in Thailand??!!

Yes and it is also a question on one of the forms I had to fill out. What is your purpose of being in Thailand or something like that. 

Edited by Wake Up

1 hour ago, Longcut said:

The Philippines is starting to look pretty good right about now. Easier retirement visa and yes, it is actually called a retirement visa. If you have a pension of at least $800.00 a month if single or $1,000.00 a month if accompanied by a spouse and deposit $10,000.00 that may be invested, you get a multi entry visa that is permanent. There may be a rule that you have to leave the country for at least a day every year. That's unclear. Import up to $7,000.00 household goods customs and tax free. 

Best thing is they speak English and its only 3 1/2 hours from Thailand. They also have a VA hospital if you are a veteran. Tricare is also accepted. If you live there.

I have until Sept. If the shit hits the fan.

That is part of the story. HOWEVER, if during the application process which includes a required medical screening, you are classified as an older person with PREEXISTING MEDICAL CONDITIONS (a large percentage of older people) your pension requirement jumps up to 1500 USD monthly in another class of visa for that group of people. Many people have the 1000 but not 1500. 

There is another program (called SMILE) that people as young as 35 can use but with that you need to deposit 20K USD, not 10K USD. With the SMILE, that 20K USD can NOT be converted to investments. So I reckon (though I'm not sure) that if you're older with preexisting conditions and don't have the 1500 pension, you could do the SMILE (and park 20K USD).

Edited by Jingthing

This can also affect the money spend in Thailand for Thai economy , as example in a case a ret ext foreigner , who has more than enough 800 000 +++ , But is planning to buy a condo , which make him short of a smaller sum and could for now use temporary the combo method until he for next year is again in the safe 800 000 zone , would think twice before risking to buy , on the other hand..., expect some would have to sell their present condo / house (ev.in company form) to forfill the needed 800 000 .

This would both cases make the overflood on real estate even more a bigger  bubble with tumbling prices !
This could also affect other investments /spendings affecting Thai economy 

PS : I am was planning to buy a condo I have my eye on , but now , as long I do not know if combo method is still by same old way to prove ….. I wont risk it …..and then I have no problem as more than 3x  the needed 800 000 on Thai  bank , but not anymore  when buying that condo …..sorry sellers …:wai:. no pity however for those "Agents "[emoji39]
Nonsense. If you can afford a condo then you can afford a visa to fit.

7 hours ago, Wake Up said:

I forgot to mention she also said if I transferred 65 K a month every month  to a thai bank account that she would accept that instead of the 800k in the Thai account. But no more accepted USA embassy verification letters dated after January 1, 2019. 

and she said that this will be acceptable to Immigration?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Nonsense. If you can afford a condo then you can afford a visa to fit.

no nonsense , I am not talking of a visa , just keeping my ret. ext. no just going jumping hoops again as I did first 2 years from my 10 in total . Oh yes I could also buy a cheaper one … forgot that …. but no thanks I like a nice one who I could afford ,and next year the money is repaired again.... 

Edited by david555

5 hours ago, garyk said:

This is all pretty doggy IMO. You can get SS pension verification letters from SS. You can get verification letters from independent retirement accounts. Not only that you can show the funds being deposited into your account abroad. 

Which proves 65K or over minimum ballance. 

This is nothing more than a money grab from the financial institutions. Thai government to help shore up the system.

Nothing to do with anything else.

I know of no other country that requires you to actually put money in an account in that country to qualify for a retirement visa? 

If someone know of another country that requires this pleas let me know!

Hello. Here be someone.

Yes -- PERU requires this and although I'm too lazy to do the research right now I'm pretty sure some other Latin American nations do as well for their RETIROGRANT visa programs. Cheers.

I have mentioned this before on many threads. That a feature of the Thai RETIROGRANT scheme is that there is no requirement to IMPORT all the claimed income as opposed to some countries that do require that. A change to requiring full annual IMPORT (on the income type of application anyway, hopefully never happens with the bank method) indeed represents a MAJOR DOWNGRADE in the attractiveness of the Thai RETIROGRANT program. 

http://www.rgbavocats.com/es/obtaining-rentista-visa-peru/

BTW, PERU is on my radar, specifically Arequipa. Yes they require the import but they give something HUGE in return. Permanent residence and no need for annual renewals! 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

no nonsense , I am not talking of a visa , just keeping my ret. ext. no just going jumping hoops again as I did first 2 years from my 10 in total . Oh yes I could also buy a cheaper one … forgot that …. but no thanks I like a nice one who I could afford ,and next year the money is repaired again.... 
Not really sure I understand this post but nobody in any country on the planet should invest every last bean in one item. If you need urgent cash it's not like you can just sell off a bathroom.

Common sense should prevail.

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That is part of the story. HOWEVER, if during the application process which includes a required medical screening, you are classified as an older person with PREEXISTING MEDICAL CONDITIONS (a large percentage of older people) your pension requirement jumps up to 1500 USD monthly in another class of visa for that group of people. Many people have the 1000 but not 1500. 

There is another program (called SMILE) that people as young as 35 can use but with that you need to deposit 20K USD, not 10K USD. With the SMILE, that 20K USD can NOT be converted to investments. So I reckon (though I'm not sure) that if you're older with preexisting conditions and don't have the 1500 pension, you could do the SMILE (and park 20K USD).

While that's true, you must be under clinical care for this. I have a friend living in Cebu that is in cancer remission and he still qualifies for the classic retirement visa. 

SRRV Human Touch

For ailing retirees, 35 years old & above, who need/require medical/clinical care. A monthly pension of at least US$1,500.00, a health insurance policy accepted in the Philippines, and an SRR Visa deposit of US$10,000.00 are required.

7 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Not really sure I understand this post but nobody in any country on the planet should invest every last bean in one item. If you need urgent cash it's not like you can just sell off a bathroom.

Common sense should prevail.

not last bean , just a few 100 000 for even 6 months , just a temporary thing , and even not if easy to accept that combo money , just the to prove doc. , as I can show letter with seal from gov. pension fund which they send me on my request , just the affidavit problem is the joker now  in case , oh let's forget and see next year , even more condos forced on market as this joke go further in action 

Edited by david555

1 minute ago, Longcut said:

While that's true, you must be under clinical care for this. I have a friend living in Cebu that is in cancer remission and he still qualifies for the classic retirement visa. 

SRRV Human Touch

For ailing retirees, 35 years old & above, who need/require medical/clinical care. A monthly pension of at least US$1,500.00, a health insurance policy accepted in the Philippines, and an SRR Visa deposit of US$10,000.00 are required.

I'm not convinced that you really know what criteria they use when looking at the medical screening part of the application. 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They verify from the documents you hand them, like pension statements etc.

That is not verification. Verification means they will contact every organization your papers say to confirm . No embassy will do that.

Edited by pontious
  • Like 1

not last bean , just a few 100 000 for even 6 months , just a temporary thing , and even not if easy to accept that combo money , just the to prove doc. , as I can show letter with seal from gov. pension fund which they send me on my request , just the affidavit problem is the joker now  in case , oh let's forget and see next year , even more condos forced on market as this joke go further in action 
More condos forced onto the market? You really think the 3000 brits using income letters are all home owners? Let me give you a tip.. The whole point of the BE canceling their income letters is because they CAN NOT accurately verify their income

And you think they are property gurus.. How cute lol

4 minutes ago, pontious said:

That is not verification. Verification means they will contact every organization your papers say to confirm . No embassy will do that.

You misquoted me it was stevenl that wrote it.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

They verify from the documents you hand them, like pension statements etc.

This was my reply.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is what the UK embassy has been doing. They just look at what you give them and do the proof of income.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not convinced that you really know what criteria they use when looking at the medical screening part of the application. 

Your correct. I am not sure. I am still in the process of researching it. This is just an option for me. I have several. Maybe even Panama or Belize. I have been to both. Equator is even on my list.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hello. Here be someone.

Yes -- PERU requires this and although I'm too lazy to do the research right now I'm pretty sure some other Latin American nations do as well for their RETIROGRANT visa programs. Cheers.

I have mentioned this before on many threads. That a feature of the Thai RETIROGRANT scheme is that there is no requirement to IMPORT all the claimed income as opposed to some countries that do require that. A change to requiring full annual IMPORT (on the income type of application anyway, hopefully never happens with the bank method) indeed represents a MAJOR DOWNGRADE in the attractiveness of the Thai RETIROGRANT program. 

http://www.rgbavocats.com/es/obtaining-rentista-visa-peru/

BTW, PERU is on my radar, specifically Arequipa. Yes they require the import but they give something HUGE in return. Permanent residence and no need for annual renewals! 

Been to Peru but once years ago. 

Was in Colombia about a year ago now and it was ok. 

Visa very easy to get there it looks like.

Didn't like the women though. Not my cup of tea. hummm

But, will have to admit. After living here for the last few years the visa rules and perks you get are looking very good to me. Especially as i get older now.

Edited by garyk

1 minute ago, garyk said:

Been to Peru but once years ago. 

Was in Colombia about a year ago now and it was ok. 

Visa very easy to get there it looks like.

Didn't like the women though. Not my cup of tea. hummm

This may sound funny but from a culinary POV Peru is much better than Colombia, so for me that's a significant consideration. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

More condos forced onto the market? You really think the 3000 brits using income letters are all home owners? Let me give you a tip.. The whole point of the BE canceling their income letters is because they CAN NOT accurately verify their income

And you think they are property gurus.. How cute lol

not all for sure , but some chose to put some money in a condo which they are now short of because the affidavit change , and those are even not in worst position, the real risky are the party bell ringers , every person is in a different position , for me no problem unless I just would make that step in the year before my next ret. ext. in next august.... just avoiding myself in an edge situation , it was tempting 

Edited by david555

not all for sure , but some chose to put some money in a condo which they are now short of because the affidavit change , and those are even not in worst position, the real risky are the party bell ringers , every person is in a different position , for me no problem unless I just would make that step in the year before my next ret. ext. in next august.... just avoiding myself in an edge situation , it was tempting 
Most of Those that rely on the income method do so because a pension is all they have and it can be manipulated.

I was really just commenting on your fire sale dumping of condos comment. This group of expats are the least likely to be home owners

Why is it so many threads on TV end up with the collapse of the real estate sector. To be honest it's hilarious

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

not all for sure , but some chose to put some money in a condo which they are now short of because the affidavit change , and those are even not in worst position, the real risky are the party bell ringers , every is in a different position , for me no problem unless I just would make that step in the year before my next ret. ext. in next august.... just avoiding myself in an edge situation , it was tempting 

Save yourself the hassle. Rent.

Places here are a dime a dozen. And cheap.

• Like 2

Why does an American citizen not ask the US Embassy about the report from CM and comment.

No point asking for and paying for an income letter that may or may not be accepted if it is dated on Jan 2 2019.

Edited by pontious

5 minutes ago, garyk said:

Save yourself the hassle. Rent.

Places here are a dime a dozen. And cheap.

I know , when 10 years ago I came first condo Viewtalay 5 25000 baht /month , now you can easily find same for 15000 and even lower ….. same with the condo resales , not for the new ones , unless after a 2 years as I see now even those are dumping prices 

I just keep my eye on those few locations only I prefer and 1 is on FS...., but I think to give it until august passing ????

Just now, blackhorse said:

Gave you a thumbs up. Keep spreading the word. The more renters out there wealth creating for us land lords the better emoji16.png

AHA that is why you are writing  "Why is it so many threads on TV end up with the collapse of the real estate sector. To be honest it's hilarious "  ????

I was first thinking another "agent"   now I understand your point....????

• Haha 1

[emoji23]

I know , when 10 years ago I came first condo Viewtalay 5 25000 baht /month , now you can easily find same for 15000 and even lower ….. same with the condo resales , not for the new ones , unless after a 2 years as I see now even those are dumping prices 
I just keep my eye on those few locations only I prefer and 1 is on FS...., but I think to give it until august passing [emoji6]
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

1 hour ago, blackhorse said:

Gave you a thumbs up. Keep spreading the word. The more renters out there wealth creating for us land lords the better emoji16.png

Haha, you are welcome. But honestly I put landlords one stop above lawyers... ???? 

• Haha 1

Haha, you are welcome. But honestly I put landlords one stop above lawyers... [emoji846] 
Lol I actually I entered the motor industry straight from school and over the years became GM of some huge dealerships before creating a marketing company and selling my services back to them as a consultant

So I'm actually one above and one below a lawyer [emoji6]
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, garyk said:

After I looked into it, it made more sense for me keep a small place in America for emergencies. And keep an extra amount for emergencies, here in Thailand, or where ever I travel. 

I agree. I have also kept a small house (around 50K in a rural university town) in the US. Like my summer home but unfortunately I end up there during the snow season ????. If you're 65, medicare will take care of you on US soil. You need emergency fund (as you said) to cover you here in Thailand till you're able to move to the USA.

Single people come to Thailand for warm weather, friendly people, good foods, and, of course, if you're lonely with a hope to find a partner. 

I agree. I have also kept a small house (around 50K in a rural university town) in the US. Like my summer home but unfortunately I end up there during the snow season [emoji16]. If you're 65, medicare will take care of you on US soil. You need emergency fund (as you said) to cover you here in Thailand till you're able to move to the USA.

Single people come to Thailand for warm weather, friendly people, good foods, and, of course, if you're lonely with a hope to find a partner. 
Gee the subprime crisis smashed the real estate sector pretty bad. And people keep saying don't buy in Thailand lol.

May need to look into this a bit deeper. Can foreigners purchase in the USA on tourist visa?

4 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I agree. I have also kept a small house (around 50K in a rural university town) in the US. Like my summer home but unfortunately I end up there during the snow season ????. If you're 65, medicare will take care of you on US soil. You need emergency fund (as you said) to cover you here in Thailand till you're able to move to the USA.

Yep, a safety blanket. Kinda makes me feel safe no matter where I am and what is going on around me.  ????

• Like 1