M Ed from Framingham State University Bangkok Cohort

Covertjay

Hi there,

I'm looking into doing the Master of Education Concentration in International Teaching based at BCC in Bangkok.

It seems good, but I was wondering if anyone has first hand first hand experience with it and would they recommend it?  

Many thanks!

I know some people who did it a few years ago and have had a  salary increase, but they have struggled to get into any higher level schools. A few of them still work in the EP at BCC or ACP across the road. 

I guess it depends on where you want to try and work. I also know a few people who have done the PGCEi and obtained jobs at better places such as mid - lower international schools. 

I used to think it was a really decent program as online blended learning goes. Lots of teachers, even in intl schools do it. But recently I've run into two teachers who I really wished they were nowhere near a classroom. Plenty of crap teachers in US as well. Still I was shocked. The irony is they appear to think they are good teachers. Kids seem to really dislike both.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:23 PM, ozmeldo said:

I used to think it was a really decent program as online blended learning goes. Lots of teachers, even in intl schools do it. But recently I've run into two teachers who I really wished they were nowhere near a classroom. Plenty of crap teachers in US as well. Still I was shocked. The irony is they appear to think they are good teachers. Kids seem to really dislike both.

To be fair, I've also met crap teachers with degrees in education from top 100 universities in the US and the UK. I think the common denominator is simply being crap!

2 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

My apologies, I thought this was a different blended program from another running thread. I've no idea about the program. But if Chulalongkorn is #1 and has QS 800. Where is this school in ranking?

Which one were you thinking of? I know quite a few programs are now being offered here from US universities, but all of them are on-site, with the professors being flown in when the courses are running. NIST has two going: the College of New Jersey and SUNY Buffalo. Bangkok Prep has Endicott College, and Framingham is now at both Wells and Bangkok Christian College. The UK-based University of Nottingham has a PGCEi that is primarily online with one required physical meeting.

Out of all of these, Framingham and the College of New Jersey programs are probably the most intensive (purely in respect to stress), as the sessions are in two-week blocks and run the whole day. SUNY Buffalo is the highest-ranked university, but they're all decent schools, even if not ranked as high as Chula. (Frankly, I'd take any of them over Chula just because of the cultural differences and the style of learning in US university programs.)

The two individuals had degrees from Framingham but BCC I've no idea so do not want to disparage the school.

I'm totally aware people slip thru the cracks. This is why online learning has such a reputation. In fairness to Framingham, their submitted work could have been fine. They are just lost in the classroom and students actually dislike them. It's not necessarily a knock in the school but it definitely did nit make those two any better teachers.

On 10/26/2018 at 9:51 AM, BobbyL said:

I also know a few people who have done the PGCEi and obtained jobs at better places such as mid - lower international schools. 

Cheers, have the PGCEi already but looking to go a bit further. Nottingham want 300k up (for a masters) now which is very expensive.  

On 11/2/2018 at 8:26 AM, IntEdSource said:

The UK-based University of Nottingham has a PGCEi that is primarily online with one required physical meeting.

Out of all of these, Framingham and the College of New Jersey programs are probably the most intensive (purely in respect to stress), as the sessions are in two-week blocks and run the whole day. SUNY Buffalo is the highest-ranked university, but they're all decent schools, even if not ranked as high as Chula. (Frankly, I'd take any of them over Chula just because of the cultural differences and the style of learning in US university programs.)

Nottingham, at the time I did my PGCEi five years ago, was 6th in the UK, 67th in the world and a top 20 education department. It was very academically rigorous, but also incredibly beneficial. Anything in the 800s worries me a little to be honest. 

Does anyone know the SUNY Buffalo rankings or have any personal experience with their program?

Many thanks.  

• 2 months later...

Most people from the Framingham/ PGCEI  course do not end up in top tier schools because their own schools offered them a significant pay increase. And the 10,xxx- 20,xxx difference in the starting salaries at International schools plus the increase of at-least 50% more workload, doesn't appear attractive to the person Also a degree doesn't make a better teacher,its more of the personality and classroom know how,  its just a qualification to understand the profession better. For me Sunny , Endicott, are excellent if you can fund it. Plus matching it with your Thai school calendar is impossible. They cost way too much to justify the increase in Thai salaries. For sure if i was in a top tier school with a big expat package, i would go for it. It sure does not appear to be as attractive when you are on a mere tefl teacher scale. 

Yeah, I took the "60k" PGTE option due to my age. Not being able to recoup the money and potentially not being employable post 60yo. I've responded this year to a few what look to be tempting international schools positions but no interviews. At an EFL level I'm gold, even at my age. So 55-70k. But I just can't make the leap to a real mid tier international school. Who knows, maybe can happen in July. Maybe blessing in disguise.

I'm not looking at the top five unless it's a support position which I'd not want anyway.

So believe me, I'm looking pretty good on paper. There are obviously teachers here that are getting the jobs. It's not me.

It's possible it's the school. I mean, well...you know. I know. Maybe the 130k diploma would have done the trick?? They know what's up with the 'school' so it's worthless. I do have my license and I bet lots if international teachers don't, are in process.

My message is if you're dropping big money on a post grad degree. Be certain it can pay and that your are absolutely certain you can make the jump.

I personally wouldn't want to have paid even 150k on a diploma when it's just not coming back.

Finally, another word of warning. If you work in public schools they seem all have this notion that after they sign for your license they should own you but being the axxhole farang you are, you'll leave.

Of course they won't want to hear you spent xxx to stay at their shitty school. Nor will they see you as more educated and deserving a pay raise depite Thais getting pay raises merely on completion of degrees - at any age!!! Yes, that's still going on! Finally, they also won't want to hear that as a foreigner you also pay more for most everything than they do.

In the end, you better be young, a hot shit teacher with ambition and enough drive to get you into a good International. Otherwise you'll have made a serious mistake spending 130k+++ on that diploma.

Archived