Krabi crackdown nets 113 cases of illegal foreigners

webfact

Krabi crackdown nets 113 cases of illegal foreigners

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

7833.jpg

Krabi Immigration officers headed to Koh Phi Phi yesterday to continue their crackdown on illegal foreigners – the activities in Ao Nang and Koh Phi Phi have so far netted a total of 113 cases of illegal entry, overstays, working illegally and some wanted on other charges.

Officers from Krabi Immigration Office have been conducting a crackdown on illegal foreigners in Ao Nang and Phi Phi Island during October.

The Krabi Immigration’s Chief Col Supparueak Pankomon says, “Phi Phi Island is one of Thailand’s main international tourist destinations. Many foreigners are visiting the island and check into hotels every year.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/krabi/krabi-crackdown-nets-113-cases-of-illegal-foreigners

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-10-25

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came here back in the 1980's to run an organised tour for a London company. Back then my work was legal. By 1995 my attempts to find out if my work was now illegal was met by a 'yes it is' from the Immigration and Employment Dept but still a 'no its O.K. you can do that job' from the TOT that took months to arrive. I started working in other S.E.Asian countries, it was clear that the offices that didn't like my work were the powerful ones. Today its quite obvious that the round-the-world travellers and backpackers that think its fun to stay here for a few months or years are breaking the rules. Lets face it, Thailand doesn't really want us farangs, we are superfluous to their requirements. 

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Is there an impending sense of xenophobia in the air? Has the biggest joke made it worse? Does he despise foreigners? Is there an equal effort being made to pursue Thai lawbreakers?

Definitely not, as long as they drive a Ferrari or shoot black Panthers.

No they don't want us any more we served our purpose in the past.

Now we will see what ASIAN brings them, tourism is very good but benefits very few Thais, nothing trickles down to the people so no benefit to them. The tour companies and hotels keep the tourists "sequestered" with in-house activities, arranged tours and buffets they never get out, so never go to the shops to shop. Here in the Samui even the Cruse ships, everything is arranged in advance on the Ship, when the ship arrives a meriod of vans pick up the passengers and whisk them away never to be seen until the ship is ready to leave, all has been arranged for their stay on Samui. Obviously "trickle down" economy does not exist, so our local economies get no benefits from the tourism boom!

30 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Is there an impending sense of xenophobia in the air? Has the biggest joke made it worse? Does he despise foreigners? Is there an equal effort being made to pursue Thai lawbreakers?

Not his table and what he does he does well. No issues have ever been solved by pilling up upon the issues with other unrelated issues. Best approach to solve anything, is to keep focus and when that is solved move on to the next, or have another department take care of it. There dont have to be any xenophobia involved to wanting to clean up in the backyard (that being said doesnt mean there isnt any). Thailand have been safehaven from nasty types of criminals for way too long. But trying to turn this into being about that is just folly in my eyes, because it is every countries right to keep out invasive cockroaches.

If you want to stay in a foreign country, do it the right way or expect to face the consequences soon or later. Personally i think it is a good thing that there is a clean up and it is way over due. While it does affect those of us who are trying to do things right, we can only thank those who has been taking advantage of the slack. Such clean up can easily actually benefit those who are here legally in the long run, so i can only root for this clean up.

1 hour ago, Lungstib said:

I came here back in the 1980's to run an organised tour for a London company. Back then my work was legal. By 1995 my attempts to find out if my work was now illegal was met by a 'yes it is' from the Immigration and Employment Dept but still a 'no its O.K. you can do that job' from the TOT that took months to arrive. I started working in other S.E.Asian countries, it was clear that the offices that didn't like my work were the powerful ones. Today its quite obvious that the round-the-world travellers and backpackers that think its fun to stay here for a few months or years are breaking the rules. Lets face it, Thailand doesn't really want us farangs, we are superfluous to their requirements. 

They might not want us, but they sure as hell need our money. How else will the police and politicians survive

1 hour ago, Lungstib said:

Thats why i and many others have left,why put your money into an economy that doesn't want you????

9 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

Thats why i and many others have left,why put your money into an economy that doesn't want you????

The Thai economy wants you to Come (stay only for short vacation) spend as much Money as you can & leave ..    

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Immigration deals by definition with foreigners so I don't understand what xenophobia has to do with it.

As for Thai lawbreakers, they normally are pursued by the regular police - with varying degrees I agree - but in some cases Thais who are involved with illegal foreign activities are also caught by Immigration. See the fake marriage licences or the drug trafficking.

You seem to imply that catching more illegal foreigners is making things worse... I think many would say that it was long overdue.

15 minutes ago, Redline said:

It’s really just like the drug busts.  More will come and do the same, it’s just a cycle that never ends.  They have to put their successes in the news here.  Take credit for what they are paid to do

Isn't that the case with every significant police operation in all countries?

1 hour ago, Iumentum said:

Not his table and what he does he does well. No issues have ever been solved by pilling up upon the issues with other unrelated issues. Best approach to solve anything, is to keep focus and when that is solved move on to the next, or have another department take care of it. There dont have to be any xenophobia involved to wanting to clean up in the backyard (that being said doesnt mean there isnt any). Thailand have been safehaven from nasty types of criminals for way too long. But trying to turn this into being about that is just folly in my eyes, because it is every countries right to keep out invasive cockroaches.

If you want to stay in a foreign country, do it the right way or expect to face the consequences soon or later. Personally i think it is a good thing that there is a clean up and it is way over due. While it does affect those of us who are trying to do things right, we can only thank those who has been taking advantage of the slack. Such clean up can easily actually benefit those who are here legally in the long run, so i can only root for this clean up.

You can continue to support this Xenophobic acts by the Thai Government, and I believe you are either three of one of these groups of people who feel they re never going to have to be under the hammer of this growing Xenophobia. You are either a luk kreung, a foreigner married to Thai but you live outside the country, one of the lucky who got a residence permit or you a retiree.

Here is what you need to understand foreigners are being used as scape goats in this political game currently ongoing in Thailand and being that most Thai's are closet Xenophobes they honestly don't have  problem with it.

And here is where the problem is for a person like you cheering on this Mania. If you are a luk kreung you already know that you never be considered Thai, and you never be able to run for a mere council office as politician not unless your other half is asian, if you're married to a Thai woman who raised in Thailand or by a Thai woman anywhere else then your marriage is only a marriage of comfort, and whatever children you bring fort will FOREVER be foreigners and disenfranchised in thailand, If you're a retiree - understand this you can't survive here without the younger lads and their businesses, Thailand would never be thesame without them and yes, once they start lacking foreigners other visa categories, they'll start harassing your old ass in the retiree dept, and if you are one of the lucky few who got the residence card, you still not considered Thai, you're not "Thai Thai", you can't get a car loan or a house loan, and when ever you stop bending over you will be reminded that you are just a foreigner with an ID.

1 minute ago, arithai12 said:

Isn't that the case with every significant police operation in all countries?

I have never seen normal people overstayers in the news in my home country paraded as criminals, and there are hundreds of thousands per year ????  They have a weak system, they should fix that first.  The police get paid for each pill of drugs they confiscate, so the police also recycle pills for cash.   Nope, don’t see people getting busted for hundreds of pills on the national news either.  It’s called stroking ????  I guess you call these major operations.  These are normal operations ????

2 minutes ago, jessebkk1 said:

You can continue to support this Xenophobic acts by the Thai Government, and I believe you are either three of one of these groups of people who feel they re never going to have to be under the hammer of this growing Xenophobia. You are either a luk kreung, a foreigner married to Thai but you live outside the country, one of the lucky who got a residence permit or you a retiree.

Here is what you need to understand foreigners are being used as scape goats in this political game currently ongoing in Thailand and being that most Thai's are closet Xenophobes they honestly don't have  problem with it.

And here is where the problem is for a person like you cheering on this Mania. If you are a luk kreung you already know that you never be considered Thai, and you never be able to run for a mere council office as politician not unless your other half is asian, if you're married to a Thai woman who raised in Thailand or by a Thai woman anywhere else then your marriage is only a marriage of comfort, and whatever children you bring fort will FOREVER be foreigners and disenfranchised in thailand, If you're a retiree - understand this you can't survive here without the younger lads and their businesses, Thailand would never be thesame without them and yes, once they start lacking foreigners other visa categories, they'll start harassing your old ass in the retiree dept, and if you are one of the lucky few who got the residence card, you still not considered Thai, you're not "Thai Thai", you can't get a car loan or a house loan, and when ever you stop bending over you will be reminded that you are just a foreigner with an ID.

I see no relation between the difficulties foreigner got who decide to live here and big joke is cleaning up. Of course i am cheering for people who arent here legally being tossed out, because they are not supposed to be here and at the end of the day they have been a part of what with time has made it more and more complicated to be here legally. What you are doing is pilling unrelated issues upon each other. I see no relation between big joke and the actual issues there is in this country related to foreigner, which there is plenty of, but to relate these 2 things are silly, because this is about people who actually are breaking the laws and not supposed to be here. Thailand has every right to get rid of these people. You call it mania, but there is no such thing about it considering what this crackdown is about. 

If someone want to be here, do it right or face the consequences as simple as that. I myself want the same from people who migrate to my birth country. If people expected they could just move here and not face difficulties then they have only been fooling themselves. But again, i dont see how that is related to throwing out people who are not supposed to be here.

I wish that many other western countries would actually start to clean out as well, but sadly enough, many places in Europe it is "Bad guy in, good guys out" where you can stay if you are criminal but tossing out kids.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

When they start seeing the results of the mass deportations of low income earners on Thai women and children who rely on them and that they are now destitute I doubt they will have much sympathy

Is there any statistics about how many Thai women and/or children depend on foreigners working in Thailand?

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The net tightens.... no more refugee if you're an over stayer or got in illegally

And quite right to

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The net tightens.... no more refugee if you're an over stayer or got in illegally

2 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Yes, I understand you. It must be a horrible situation to come to a country, and suddenly understand they also have rules you have to follow. That is not the same as unwanted or superfluous.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No, the xenophobia all elongsto  the foreigners in this country. Just look how worried everybody is about a little income letter.

No, and he is no joke. He is actually making a big differens and a better place for al that follows and care about the rules.

No, he do not despise foreigners. Just because foreigners are not allowed to break the rules, you can not compare that to dispise of the foreigner. It´s a dispise for law breakers.

Yes, there is. Unfortunately that has not been same popular to complain and talk about among foreigners.

I hope that answered all your questions, so there will be no more confusion. Always happy to help.

33 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Is there any statistics about how many Thai women and/or children depend on foreigners working in Thailand?

You could probably make a fair guess that most of the western foreigners here (working or retired) support at least one woman (or partner, to be PC), a couple of kids, and a few older family members (plus the odd buffalo or two).

The other way to look at it (at least for retirees) would be to assume that all the funds brought into T/L (i.e. around 40-65k/month) is probably ending up in the hands of the minimum paid (on 10k/mon) so each retiree spending say 50k is completely supporting 5 nationals.  Obviously tourists are spending much more, albeit for a shorter period, but many more of them.

So how many western foreigners are there here.... Maybe 1MM here permanently, so supporting at least 5MM Thais... or close to 10% of the population.

And yes, I realise this is a simplistic approach, before anyone wants to get picky.

Regardless  of  status of " legal and correct" presence in Thailand it would seem wise to me to start routinely carrying my passport. Once the easy pickins  are done it is possible/probable random approach and check on individuals will start to be more frequent. If the "letter of the  law" is  being  so zealously applied it could save a lot of time and stress.

I have to wonder what the effect on local economies will be in the short term at least by the  sudden removal of so many people. 

3 minutes ago, steve73 said:

You could probably make a fair guess that most of the western foreigners here (working or retired) support at least one woman (or partner, to be PC), a couple of kids, and a few older family members (plus the odd buffalo or two).

The other way to look at it (at least for retirees) would be to assume that all the funds brought into T/L (i.e. around 40-65k/month) is probably ending up in the hands of the minimum paid (on 10k/mon) so each retiree spending say 50k is completely supporting 5 nationals.  Obviously tourists are spending much more, albeit for a shorter period, but many more of them.

So how many western foreigners are there here.... Maybe 1MM here permanently, so supporting at least 5MM Thais... or close to 10% of the population.

And yes, I realise this is a simplistic approach, before anyone wants to get picky.

The majority of  "western" foreigners could  be assumed to be legitimate. Therefore not directly subject to what is occurring which so far has mainly focussed on other than westerners. 

Perhaps this is not an isolate policy. Korea  has been pressuring to rid itself of the many thousands  of  illegal Thai there. Who are we to know the machinations of ASEAN agreements? 

3 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Yep, sometimes we're flavour of the month, but most often not. I upped sticks in 2001, PI was infinitely more welcoming and after 5 years there found work in Cambodia, 12 years and counting with none of the hassles I had in TL.

Archived