Krabi crackdown nets 113 cases of illegal foreigners

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Naive or new?, says the guy with ten posts to his name, half of them in this thread.......

Did n’t you read the story, it’s about illegals on Phi Phi and other tourist areas around Krabi. If you have ever been to Koh Phi Phi you would surely have seen many, many people working illegally there, you would have to be blind not to see them in the bars and guest houses. How many of these backpackers would have been born here, raised here or married a local as you claim ? None, zero, zilch.....

If so many people were not breaking the law there would be no need of these “non stop crackdowns”. Immigration police doing their job is not xenophobia, no matter what your paranoid fears might tell you.

It did not occur to you that the law is not adapted to the needs of time
and various situations, e.g. when the spouse of a Thai citizen is a foreigner

For me It even looks like the law is set up to hunt foreigners endlessly.

Besides, if these people are working it means that they are needed

because someone is willing to pay for their services.

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Is there an impending sense of xenophobia in the air? Has the biggest joke made it worse? Does he despise foreigners? Is there an equal effort being made to pursue Thai lawbreakers?

Think it comes for higher up..

6 hours ago, freebyrd said:

Yep, sometimes we're flavour of the month, but most often not. I upped sticks in 2001, PI was infinitely more welcoming and after 5 years there found work in Cambodia, 12 years and counting with none of the hassles I had in TL.

It's an expensive, venal, gritty, unlucky place with bad beaches and dusky women.

Don't even get me started on the Phils

1 hour ago, marqus12 said:

It did not occur to you that the law is not adapted to the needs of time
and various situations, e.g. when the spouse of a Thai citizen is a foreigner

For me It even looks like the law is set up to hunt foreigners endlessly.

Besides, if these people are working it means that they are needed

because someone is willing to pay for their services.

And did it not occur to you that this hypothetical person could have got a marriage visa and a work permit and obeyed the law ? But I will bet that at least 99% of the people in this story that were arrested on Koh Phi Phi do not have a Thai spouse anyway, maybe somebody running one of the illegal hostels might have a Thai wife the others would be just trying to extend their party on the island.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

It's an expensive, venal, gritty, unlucky place with bad beaches and dusky women.

Don't even get me started on the Phils

One man's meat..... I've been a lot happier here than I was in Thailand.....and there is rather more to life than beaches and women.

I would appear to be the only one noticing hat there is never a mention of Chinese overstayers, Chinese criminals, Chinese gangs, Chinese gambling or anything remotely bad regarding the Chinese!!!

Maybe I am missing something???

I am 100% that not all Chinese arrive at the airport, go directly to the hotel, spend money and leave on time!

Anyone have an opinion?

7 minutes ago, NobbyClarke said:

I would appear to be the only one noticing hat there is never a mention of Chinese overstayers, Chinese criminals, Chinese gangs, Chinese gambling or anything remotely bad regarding the Chinese!!!

I am 100% that not all Chinese arrive at the airport, go directly to the hotel, spend money and leave on time!

Anyone have an opinion?

I dont see why nationality is important here, beside it being non-thai. What makes you think that non of those 113 cases this article is about is Chinese? No other nationalities is mentioned in this article, so i see no need to exclude the possibility that there might be Chinese among them here.

Also, there is plenty of news concerning Chinese criminals being caught as so many other nationalities, so i guess you are missing something. There has been plenty of news about Chinese tour agents getting caught without proper work permit. Seem like you are baiting for some bias here.

7 minutes ago, NobbyClarke said:

Anyone have an opinion?

There have been a few reports on TV of Chinese on overstay  but was not very long overstay. The ones coming over now are not working have lots of money and leave  and come back again. They are over running and buying property all over California as well. Guess you haven't seen the Chinese in Malls pushing large suitcases that they fill with goods they buy at the malls and then take home. My wife and I bought a condo in Jomtien to rent out , while waiting in office for a van to take us back to our car 6 Chinese couples came in with a Thai guide to purchase condo's.

15 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

Thats why i and many others have left,why put your money into an economy that doesn't want you????

Dont take this wrong, but I never understood why people who has left Thailand still read thai news and are interested in anything involving Thailand 

21 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

A net that should have been tightened many years ago.

a load of BS. if they checked into hotels.. it is the hotels responsibility to reporttheir arrival to immigration.. and immigration allowed the overstayers knowingly.  copies of passports and arrival stamps and visa issued is standard practice. to arrest so many at one time only means immigration was bribed or didn't care to do their jobs. It is good they finally did something.. But this action seems more for show than anything. If the immigration is not checking arrivals into hotels daily then this will happen again if they choose to make another show. 

18 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

a load of BS. if they checked into hotels.. it is the hotels responsibility to reporttheir arrival to immigration.. and immigration allowed the overstayers knowingly.  copies of passports and arrival stamps and visa issued is standard practice. to arrest so many at one time only means immigration was bribed or didn't care to do their jobs. It is good they finally did something.. But this action seems more for show than anything. If the immigration is not checking arrivals into hotels daily then this will happen again if they choose to make another show. 

I make it simle for you. Immigration database shows that a lot of persons overstay thaier visa. Hotels are registering persons staying. 1+1 is still 2. Crackdown coming and also nets people that re working illegally and staying without visa.

10 hours ago, NobbyClarke said:

Anyone have an opinion?

I wish "all Chinese would arrive at the airport, go directly to hotel, spend money and leave on time." In my condo complex, a separate 7-Eleven was built specifically for the hordes of Chinese tourists who flock to the hotel behind my building.  That was a Godsend.  However, many become expats and manage to rent or buy in my building.  So now when I swim, I see and hear them spit; they refuse to dry off before entering the elevator, leaving puddles and dirty footprints everywhere. My Thai wife says, "Never mind."  I wish they'd all go away.  

21 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Well, on the other hand it is piss easy to get a visa here, you can literally just buy it. Its one of the easiest countries to stay in legally at all - so we shouldn't abuse this.

They only crack down because a bunch of idiots have to abuse everything.

Do you know how ridicilous hard it is for a Thai to get a VISA to europe, usa, australia etc.... 

It's hilarious to complain about Thailand enforcing some laws while our homecountries don't let the average Thai person in at all. 

Do you know how much I don't care how difficult it is for Thai to get a visa abroad ?

If they have balls they can just be illegal as people are illegal in Thailand.

Anyway it's not the question, the only real problems is scumbags happy that shit happens to other people. I have more money than enough to be sure that nothing will happen to me here or anywhere in the world, but still, I do not party when I see people in not so easy situations being caught. Yes, I am not a grumpy old idiot expat and will never be.

All of the above may be true and only time will tell but i think the big joke is doing ok so far maybe they don't want us retirees but i see no evidence of that however the government call for more Chinese tourists is completely the wrong move, we saw what happened with Japanese tourists in Australia years ago where they did not contribute to the economy much at all. The hotels and resorts they stayed at were Japanese owned the businesses they shopped at were Japanese owned the tourist companies and buses on the ground were Japanese owned, do you see where this is going? and the same is happening here with the Chinese. clean up the tourist areas and you will see an improvement in paying tourists which is very important for the Thai economy as is the expat community.????

On 10/24/2018 at 8:01 PM, Lungstib said:

I came here back in the 1980's to run an organised tour for a London company. Back then my work was legal. By 1995 my attempts to find out if my work was now illegal was met by a 'yes it is' from the Immigration and Employment Dept but still a 'no its O.K. you can do that job' from the TOT that took months to arrive. I started working in other S.E.Asian countries, it was clear that the offices that didn't like my work were the powerful ones. Today its quite obvious that the round-the-world travellers and backpackers that think its fun to stay here for a few months or years are breaking the rules. Lets face it, Thailand doesn't really want us farangs, we are superfluous to their requirements. 

And logically- considering that tourists lend to many Thai's ability to exist/ make a living, it's akin to cutting your nose off to spite your face. More simply...you don't bite the hand that feeds you. So considering your opinion re: farangs, I assure you that once "farangs" stop coming to Thailand - for whatever reason(s), then Thais will be left with womever they can attract to the country. China? I'm surprised any tourists come here - considering the unnecessary deaths. Russians? Nyet. UK? Me thinks that a good amount come here for the sex trade, but I do not want to generalize. God knows why Brits wind up in Thailand when there are a tremendous amount of alternative places- money-wise.

Whatever...There are those who welcome tourists because they "feed them", and then there are those who despise farangs "period".

19 hours ago, freebyrd said:

One man's meat..... I've been a lot happier here than I was in Thailand.....and there is rather more to life than beaches and women.

I lived in Cambodia for three years post UNTAC back when it was free and offered real adventure. You can't tell me Cambodia is a better gig than Thailand.

But I am honestly pleased that you are happier there because thsts what matters. Perhaps we can both agree its not the Philippines.

No, there is not much more to life than a perfect beach.

I believe the Thai, government through  immigration should take in account when retires stay here, if they own condos ,are married and live in house they built for there wife/girlfriend , with the high fluctuations of currencies' , over the last few year , I have seen my dollar value go from 33 to 23 baht to the dollar ,I am in a better position, than many , but I  could see how some of my country men , would have a major problem staying with there families here . And faced with being kicked out ,don't report , thus become illegals , manly because there income from there pensions have dropped below the required amount  ,and they have had to dip into there bank account . and then the single ones ,can no longer show 65,000 baht a month ,even though they live in there own condo ,and have no debts at all. As most have sold there assets in Australia , to retire here , they have nothing to go back to. There only choice is to sell there condo , and put the money in a bank account ,earning nothing , and rent a property , which lowers there standard of living , to be fair , the Thai government should take this into account , before kicking people out because there income ,and pension has fallen through no fault of there own.

On 10/25/2018 at 1:13 PM, rumak said:

for isaan michael.........your confused emoji means that you do not know sarcasm ,  

unless i am confused and you are agreeing with the OP. which i don't think you do since you

like lumentums post.   

i just didn't have the inclination to try to answer the ops rant.   easy to see he will not be swayed.

I think i was confused by your comments on my marriage being a marriage of comfort, and that as a retiree i was somehow relying on lads??? i did not understand your comments and assumptions. I have been over here 20 years, i am deliriously happily married to a Thai, i ran a business with her fo most of the time and i am now retired living in the north. I have never had a problem with any of the rules/laws i have to abide by, and think the so called crackdown on illegals is great. Hope that clarifies what i am saying.

2 hours ago, shan777 said:

I believe the Thai, government through  immigration should take in account when retires stay here, if they own condos ,are married and live in house they built for there wife/girlfriend , with the high fluctuations of currencies' , over the last few year , I have seen my dollar value go from 33 to 23 baht to the dollar ,I am in a better position, than many , but I  could see how some of my country men , would have a major problem staying with there families here . And faced with being kicked out ,don't report , thus become illegals , manly because there income from there pensions have dropped below the required amount  ,and they have had to dip into there bank account . and then the single ones ,can no longer show 65,000 baht a month ,even though they live in there own condo ,and have no debts at all. As most have sold there assets in Australia , to retire here , they have nothing to go back to. There only choice is to sell there condo , and put the money in a bank account ,earning nothing , and rent a property , which lowers there standard of living , to be fair , the Thai government should take this into account , before kicking people out because there income ,and pension has fallen through no fault of there own.

It comes under the heading of planning for the future, the Thai government cannot take into consideration immigrants financial situations. 

8 hours ago, IssanMichael said:

I think i was confused by your comments on my marriage being a marriage of comfort, and that as a retiree i was somehow relying on lads??? i did not understand your comments and assumptions. I have been over here 20 years, i am deliriously happily married to a Thai, i ran a business with her fo most of the time and i am now retired living in the north. I have never had a problem with any of the rules/laws i have to abide by, and think the so called crackdown on illegals is great. Hope that clarifies what i am saying.

i think you are mistaking me for another poster.  i posted nothing of what you say.  if you can find my post let me know which one it was.   again,  think it was someone else, not me.

On 10/26/2018 at 12:12 AM, sead said:

Dont take this wrong, but I never understood why people who has left Thailand still read thai news and are interested in anything involving Thailand 

Probably because they are sad/bitter that they had to leave and want to vindicate their reasons and convince themselves and others that they made the right decision.

16 hours ago, rumak said:

i think you are mistaking me for another poster.  i posted nothing of what you say.  if you can find my post let me know which one it was.   again,  think it was someone else, not me.

My apologies if i got it wrong, must be my age having a senior moment. Regards Michael

On 10/27/2018 at 12:59 PM, Donaldo said:

I particularly object to the use of the wording "invasive cockroaches". Could you imagine the outcry if we would use that expression to describe the invasion by Muslims of our continent, Europe?

You can object all you want, it wont make me care if people feel offended for calling criminals who are here illegally for invasive cockroaches. You can take that snowflake attitude and stick it where the sun doesnt shine for all i care. At any day i will weight facts way above feelings, so if the facts hurts the feeling then too bad, because they are invasive and if they are criminals i have no need to justify comparing them to roaches.

Archived