Avocado experience any one else seen this

DJ54

I’ve bought Avocados from a local chain supermarket 8 times and every time but once was as pictured.

Looks like root substance. The one pictured as used two days after buying. When I purchased avocados

were Green and Hard so not ripe as far as I could tell. 

Anyone else have the the same issue? I’m waiting for a email contact for the chain. I don’t read Thai

so will have someone help.

Are there reputable on line sites that I could order from? I read that local Avocados are available in Chang Mai region.

thanks for listening and have a great day!

7243F4B9-013D-45F3-BEFA-D8CE8B2283E5.jpeg

Wherever I bought avocados, most of them weren't any good.

They keep them refrigerated and Avocados don't like that treatment.

I kept one for almost 2 weeks and that one was fairly OK then.

About the 'roots' : poor quality. Can happen everywhere on the planet.

The local ones are of inferior quality compared to imported ones.

Same experience here as the poster above. Over half the avocados i buy end up in the garbage, they either never ripe or go from hard as a stone to rotten in a second.

I basically stopped buying avocados in Thailand because of this; its just too expensive with such a ratio of eatable parts to waste.

It's always a lottery buying avocados in Bangkok. Even my previously reliable elderly seller at a local market has been very hit and miss of late. That said, I bought three New Zealand avocados (below) from my local Tesco on Monday. Smallish, New Zealand, 49 baht each or 3@39 baht each. Rock hard so only tried the first one this morning. Perfect inside, tasted quite good but I think another day or two and they will improve. I only ever buy the loose ones.

I think with a lot of pre-wrapped fruit, you're buying fruit that is near to use by date. Supermarket cut fruit (not only Tesco) like pineapple barely lasts a day, but from my local wet market it's usually good eating for three days. I would never buy fruit or veg like in the photo with a use by date of the 22nd and expect it to be ok on the 24th

image.png

Thai sourced Hass avocados are currently available in abundance at any of the Royal Project shops around Bangkok. Depending on the size, 3 or 4 pieces for 100 Baht. They are very good quality and none of the ones I have bought over the last month or so was bad. They also store them un-refrigerated.

The Thai big avocados are also available but I really don't like them.

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Same experience here as the poster above. Over half the avocados i buy end up in the garbage, they either never ripe or go from hard as a stone to rotten in a second.

I basically stopped buying avocados in Thailand because of this; its just too expensive with such a ratio of eatable parts to waste.

gotta get 'em fresh from growers ... up in  mountains between Chaingmai and Chaingrai

I've bought a lot of Thai avos from around the country, never disappointed with those at Doi Muser, on the road from Tak to Mae Sot, got some from Makro Chantaburi 2 months back., perfect. Think its luck of the draw, but reckon Makro Pattaya area and elsewhere probably get a lot not mature, and then also do the "no no" keeping them refrigerated.

We buy local avs @ 40-50 baht/kilo with different varieties when in season, 90% are very good. Bought some Chaing Mai avs lately @ 100 baht/kilo, big, but did not look that good out side, but eat great. Any imported fruit up here is not good so just have to wait for the season.

Just now, GreasyFingers said:

We buy local avs @ 40-50 baht/kilo with different varieties when in season, 90% are very good. Bought some Chaing Mai avs lately @ 100 baht/kilo, big, but did not look that good out side, but eat great. Any imported fruit up here is not good so just have to wait for the season.

agree as I have been doing the same, my farmer has 3-4 different varieties, I select 2 that have similar taste to the ones I had on the US, the other are a little too mushy for my taste

2 hours ago, OmarZaid said:

gotta get 'em fresh from growers ... up in  mountains between Chaingmai and Chaingrai

Easier said than done, I live on Phuket.

I'll ask my wife to scout some FB pages again, sometimes she comes up with a good address where they sell big boxes and send them to here for a decent price. This topic makes me hungry.

I've given up on my potential avocado splurges here.  The Thai version (big, watery, tasteless) don't do it for me.  More often than not, the Hass are buggered.  Surprising that even back home, the Hass are in much better (perfect) condition, and ripen nicely on a counter, ....not here.  I created an avocado fiend (the wife), she now shops for them and tries her luck, success rate is low, ugly and nasty looking flesh in no time (same as OP).   Lived/worked in Chile and Peru a few years ago....spoiled by fresh avocados and roadside charcoal baked bread (white towel ladies when fresh).  Big sigh...

I have bought them from Big C and Tesco. 95 BahtKg green and hard. Make sure you pick clean skin ones, no brown patches. I put one by the window for 2 days until a bit of a give on them when you press the sides. I cut in half and they are the perfect colour and taste bloody nice on a sandwich of lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and Beetroot.

the last 8-9 months and never a problem. I put stretch film around the other half and into the fridge. Last another 2-3 days.

Bought a 3-pack of local avos from Central Pattaya a while back.  They were all inedible.  Even imported Haas are hit and miss.  I am through with avos in Thailand.  Currently, in San Francisco.  Good Haas are 69 cents each in Chinatown.  At 5 PM, right before they close, they blow out all the ripe ones at 3 for $1 or small ones at 4 for $1.  I'm guacamoled out!!!

I live in an area in New Zealand where avocados grow well and they are cheap and plentiful.  I buy them green and most are dark within 3 days and perfect for salad or very dark within 4 days and ready for guacamole.

What I'd like to know is how the ripening is slowed down when they are transported to Thailand.  Basically, they become mush within about 6 days so they would have to get to market / supermarket there very quickly.

FWIW, very seldom do you ever get a bad one here and when you do, it's ALWAYS from a supermarket.  Buy from growers direct or greengrocers and they are always perfect.  That makes me think that the ones which have gone bad have been badly handled / stored.

One thing to be aware of there are varieties of avocados that the skin darkens as they ripen and other varieties that the skin stays green(often they will get a little lighter in color as they ripen).  So if you have a green skin variety and wait for it to darken it will always be bad.

You can get good avocados sent to your home from this page.  The price is cheaper per avocado than in the stores.  But you have to get a minimum 3 kilo order.  Which can be 3-6 avocados per kilo, depending on the variety.  Different varieties are available at different times of the year.  They also give you an instruction sheet for the particular variety.

https://www.facebook.com/Bangkoklovelyfruits/

19 hours ago, cucme said:

Wherever I bought avocados, most of them weren't any good.

They keep them refrigerated and Avocados don't like that treatment.

I kept one for almost 2 weeks and that one was fairly OK then.

About the 'roots' : poor quality. Can happen everywhere on the planet.

The local ones are of inferior quality compared to imported ones.

After mined have ripened I fridge them. But maybe week max.

I buy from the organic farmer's markets on Wednesday next to the Royal Project store on NW corner of Canal and Suthep rds.    Market goes every Wednesday from about 7 AM to 11 AM and first come first serve but usually lots of avocados and at amazing prices.   

Also, I buy on the Canal Road organic farmer's market on Mon - Tues. - Thursday from 2 PM to 6 PM as you are travelling south on Canal Rd. coming from Suthep Rd. and before the Suthep District Office by the Police station, you will see with lots of cars around on the E. side of Canal Rd.

Last, I buy at the Saturday organic farmer's market north of Mae HIa junction on Canal Rd. and turn west into the Royal Project area.

Update from Avocados bought today! At the market to day wife picked up four and gave to me to get weighed and priced.

They were born but very hard.... ok try again. Opened the all good to go. I don’t know but maybe the skin is thicker than the haas.

anyway worked good will have to try again and see if their brown and hard as a baseball get some and try.

3B481A55-C8FE-435E-AD58-167BD7D805AF.jpeg

0DBAA9ED-BF38-45B8-A4A4-0F8B24AF252E.jpeg

0C7616AF-2244-44F9-BC58-DD867E55E993.jpeg

17 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Update from Avocados bought today! At the market to day wife picked up four and gave to me to get weighed and priced.

They were born but very hard.... ok try again. Opened the all good to go. I don’t know but maybe the skin is thicker than the haas.

anyway worked good will have to try again and see if their brown and hard as a baseball get some and try.

3B481A55-C8FE-435E-AD58-167BD7D805AF.jpeg

0DBAA9ED-BF38-45B8-A4A4-0F8B24AF252E.jpeg

0C7616AF-2244-44F9-BC58-DD867E55E993.jpeg

Looks like a good find...I'm envious

Archived