motorbike license

chanangrak

I take my international driving license with my Aussie license when we go home to Khon Kaen......I don't have a motorcycle license but have been thinking about getting one herein Aus so I can use in Thailand........however its a costly and slow process and I don't want to ride in Australia anyway.........Can a falaung  get ?apply for a motorcycle license in Khon Kaen....if im just a tourist probably not but if im living with a retirement visa can I get a license ???? thanks for any assistance with this.....cheers

35 minutes ago, chanangrak said:

.Can a falaung  get ?apply for a motorcycle license in Khon Kaen....if im just a tourist probably not but if im living with a retirement visa can I get a license ????

Yes, but you'll have to do the theory test day one, and the driving 'test' (lol) the next day.

thanks guys re.bike license...........what is a certificate of residence?.....I would assume  it would be for people who are living in Thailand....marriage...retirement etc........ and not tourist visa visitors......and how do you prove where you live ....your wife or partner helps you or what?.......again thanks...............bloody paperwork......

"man is born free, yet is everywhere in chains"

1 hour ago, chanangrak said:

what is a certificate of residence?.

Its just a piece of paper from immigration confirming your address,

in some provinces a hotel address is sufficient,some provinces require you/housemaster/condo or hotel to have submitted a TM30 form before they will issue the paper.

some people have said they went to their local police station and got a "proof of address" from them which was accepted at the DLT...  other things accepted in various provinces are "Yellow tabien bahn"  and work permit.

9 hours ago, chanangrak said:

however its a costly and slow process and I don't want to ride in Australia anyway

It's usually a two day process for 505 (?) Baht in Thailand.

I have done in 2015 as I also had no motorbike license from my country.

(I always forget about the exact - peanuts - price)

9 hours ago, chanangrak said:

if im just a tourist probably not but if im living with a retirement visa can I get a license

By the rules it's not possible as a tourist.

For a start you should have a look at the pinned topics in the motor forum.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/78-thailand-motor-forum/

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/920562-thai-drivers-license-checklist/

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1027268-how-to-get-a-driving-licence-in-thailand/

This is what you need to do. And I have underlined one part where it is missing "Non Immigrant" and another part where it says "invalid" when it should be "valid". Part from that this is correct.  

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER TEMPORARY (TWO YEAR) DRIVING LICENSE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    PASSPORT WITH VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  2. 2
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)
  4. 4
    ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS N'T IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

2 hours ago, Norlund said:

This is what you need to do.

I understood that the OP has NO valid motorcycle license from this home country.

So IDP/home country license are useless.

The OP has to do the full license tests etc.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

I understood that the OP has NO valid motorcycle license from this home country.

So IDP/home country license are useless.

The OP has to do the full license tests etc.

If you click on the link to DLT you will see just that. 

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is no requirement to have a non-immigrant visa

This is a common misunderstanding among foreigners in Thailand. Because officials at DLT sometimes issue driving licenses without someone having the proper visa.

This is what DLT requires when you need to renew the driving license.

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF]
FROM TWO-YEAR (DRIVING LICENCE) TO FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    ORIGINAL TWO-YEAR THAI DRIVING LICENCE
  2. 2
    PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY
  4. 4
    ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

This is some more information.

https://phuketdir.com/pkttransport/

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

17 minutes ago, Norlund said:

This is what DLT requires when you need to renew the driving license.

These are the requirements to renew to a 5 year license, as written in the headline. For the 2 year license (and to renew for another 2 years) there is no requirement to have a non immigrant visa

I suggest you talk to the office where you will apply for the license.

Some years ago I studied in detail on the internet which documents are required. I found that information on some official page.

So I got an official certified translation from my driving license, some pictures and other documents.

When I finally visited the office (Bangkok Sukhumvit 85 or something like that) they told me I don't need the translation and I don't need pictures (they took the picture with a digital camera).

So in hindsight I wasted a couple of thousand THB on an official translation...

But I am sure this will not be the same in every place in Thailand...

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

These are the requirements to renew to a 5 year license, as written in the headline. For the 2 year license (and to renew for another 2 years) there is no requirement to have a non immigrant visa

Is this link good enough for you?  

Motor Vehicle Act – B.E. 2522 (1979)

Title 3: Driver’s License

Section 42

If the driver is an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver’s license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/#03

And read closely what DLT i Phuket says in this link. 

"If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply)."

"What you will need when applying for your Thai drivers License:

Signed copies of the passport's first page, the page with the current non-immigrant visa, the page with the last entry stamp and the TM-card." 

https://phuketdir.com/pkttransport/

Is this link good enough for you?

It says "immigrant visa", and not "non-immigrant visa" this is obviously not the same. In the translation that you posted when they write "immigrant visa" they mean "permanent residency" and not "non-immigrant visa", this becomes clear if you check the original Thai law.

And read closely what DLT i Phuket says in this link. 

This is no official site, so who knows where this info came from.

There is no official rule that says you must have a non-immigrant visa to obtain a two years driving license. But depending on the province and from which country your passport is it might not be possible because you might be unable to obtain a certificate of residence.

18 hours ago, jackdd said:

It says "immigrant visa", and not "non-immigrant visa" this is obviously not the same. In the translation that you posted when they write "immigrant visa" they mean "permanent residency" and not "non-immigrant visa", this becomes clear if you check the original Thai law.

This is no official site, so who knows where this info came from.

There is no official rule that says you must have a non-immigrant visa to obtain a two years driving license. But depending on the province and from which country your passport is it might not be possible because you might be unable to obtain a certificate of residence.

You can turn this "inside out and upside down", but facts remaians. The law says need a Non Immigrant Visa to get a Thai driving license. So I rest my case.   

5 minutes ago, Norlund said:

The law says need a Non Immigrant Visa to get a Thai driving license.

The imaginary law in your head? Because obviously you couldn't provide an official source yet, which is most likely because it doesn't exist

Archived