BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
ivr

Condominium In Chiangrai

Does anyone know if there are any condominiums for sale in Chiangrai which can be bought by foreigners??

Does anyone know if there are any condominiums for sale in Chiangrai which can be bought by foreigners??

try the condo next to the land office

try the condo next to the land office

Thanks, does anyone happen to know the name.

it`s called the Condotel. I know at least 1 foreigner who has purchased 1, so it is possible.

Drive past Samakee school towards Den Ha, turn right at the end of the road, go thru the lights and it`s at the bottom of the road.

Edited by chang35baht

Last time i checked it was legal for a foreigner to own a building or part of a building but not the land that it is on so a condo shouldn't be a problem. :o

Thanks for all your comments. sorry but does anyone know a telephone nr of the Condotel.

as far as i know can you only buy a condor in bkk and pattaya as a farang

Not true. I legally own a condo in Chiang Mai so would be stunned if this was not allowed in Chiang Rai. One rule that must be adhered to is that the building has to be 51% Thai owned which mine very much is.

Not true. I legally own a condo in Chiang Mai so would be stunned if this was not allowed in Chiang Rai. One rule that must be adhered to is that the building has to be 51% Thai owned which mine very much is.

This 51% owned by Thais used to be true. But i have heard that BKK and Pattaya have got the

rules relaxed for lack of Thais buying and frarang wanting.?

Actually, there are a total of 2 condo's in CR. The Condotel, which i cannot give you a #, and one

by the sports stadium. If you are interested in a condo in CR, come up and look. :o

This 51% owned by Thais used to be true. But i have heard that BKK and Pattaya have got the

rules relaxed for lack of Thais buying and frarang wanting.?

Actually, there are a total of 2 condo's in CR. The Condotel, which i cannot give you a #, and one

by the sports stadium. If you are interested in a condo in CR, come up and look. :o

I would be very carefull of buying a condo IF it does not fall within the offical,at the time,rules /laws of Thailand.As far ad I understand it is still allowed if as said before that the building is majoraty Thai owned.

contrary to popular myth (and its name) the Condotel does NOT have condominiums! I know this for a fact. The only condos there are retro-fits made by farang who have bought 2 or more rooms and joined them up by knocking a door between - and adding a tiny kitchen space. The standard rooms there are just that - hotel-type rooms that are a tiny bit larger than the one-size-fits-all rooms you find throughout Thailand.

As far as I know, there are no condos in Chiang Rai. I spoke with a Thai man who was building a 52-room hotel there, and suggested he change it to condominiums. He said he'd consider doing it (he didn't). Trouble is, Thais (outside of heavily touristed areas) don't understand what a condo is. They understand tiny college apartments, and townhouses and houses. But an apartment with one or two bedrooms and a decent kitchen is an alien concept to all but western-influenced Thais.

Thanks for all your comments. sorry but does anyone know a telephone nr of the Condotel.

They may be outdated but these are the numbers I have for the Condotel:

053-716-135, 053-716-060

contrary to popular myth (and its name) the Condotel does NOT have condominiums! I know this for a fact.

As far as I know, there are no condos in Chiang Rai. tiny college apartments, and townhouses and houses. But an apartment with one or two bedrooms and a decent kitchen is an alien concept to all but western-influenced Thais.

A condo has to have bedrooms and a kitchen???-wrong :o

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the description of a condominium included at least a rudimentary kitchen. Other than farang retro-fits, Condotel's rooms don't have any kitchens.

Reminds me of a place in a little town called San Ignacio in Belize. It was a funky guest house with uneven floors, but its name was the Ritz Hyatt hotel.

contrary to popular myth (and its name) the Condotel does NOT have condominiums! I know this for a fact. The only condos there are retro-fits made by farang who have bought 2 or more rooms and joined them up by knocking a door between - and adding a tiny kitchen space. The standard rooms there are just that - hotel-type rooms that are a tiny bit larger than the one-size-fits-all rooms you find throughout Thailand.

As far as I know, there are no condos in Chiang Rai. I spoke with a Thai man who was building a 52-room hotel there, and suggested he change it to condominiums. He said he'd consider doing it (he didn't). Trouble is, Thais (outside of heavily touristed areas) don't understand what a condo is. They understand tiny college apartments, and townhouses and houses. But an apartment with one or two bedrooms and a decent kitchen is an alien concept to all but western-influenced Thais.

To me this ia a confusing post. Why would a Farang go to the expense of remodeling/combining two units if he did not own a vested interest in the units? (Which would imply that he had purchased in his own name as opposed to that of a thai wife??

SeeJo