Experiences with the color-blindness test for a driving license

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, berrec said:

Yes I had the same chin colour test, passed it (with flying colours 5555) but it did show me something I was not aware of that my peripheral left side vision was weaker than my right side. Take a wetone to wipe the chin plate, all sorts of stuff on it.................

I kept calling the yellow light (amber) and the testing officer keep correcting me (yellow), and laughing... habit I guess from Aus traffic signals........55555 

What was so funny was the number of applicants that failed the reaction test in front of me...........none of them apparently spent any time outside the testing room looking at the video runs of all the test stations and what to do before taking the tests..............

Dam, the woman running the reaction test station screamed and tore those that were failing a new one....................it was a complete "Dummies R US" on display.................she kicked them out of the test room...................I made sure I was going to pass first effort.............I did not want to incur her abuse...........

Summary, no brainer............go watch the test station training videos and you will fly though it successfully ......... 

I have been amazed at the reaction times I saw with many Thais.  A leisurely one or two seconds seemed quite common.  Obviously some applicants have almost zero experience in driving.  The depth perception one was interesting too.  Lining up the second peg at the same distance as the fixed one.   I found that easy but quite a few seem to have no idea.  The only one I am afraid about in another 2 years are those tiny faint yellow lights at the extreme of my vision.  A bit hard to see sometimes.  I didn't have any real problem there once I knew what and where I should be looking but I can image as I get older (71 now) it might cause me problems in the future.

27 minutes ago, transam said:

The colour test thing is daft...The only thing here regarding colour are traffic lights, so just knowing the stop light is at the top and go is at the bottom is really all one needs to know.

As long as you can recognise brown as in uniforms and 1,000 baht notes you should be OK.

On 10/26/2018 at 3:51 PM, Sparkles said:

I failed this test in CM when I first got a Thai licence.By being forced, verbally, to look straight ahead no way  could I see the colours. When I turned my head I got reprimanded. I explained to the guy the obvious when you are driving you turn your head right or left to see oncoming traffic or pedestrians.I failed 3 times in a row then a Thai guy who worked there stolled across and told the guy to pass me.

When I went for renewal this stupid test had been replaced with coloured boards which for me were simple.The hour long video was comical even talked about driving a tank mind you in Thailand thats not such a bad idea.

Driven in many Asian countries Thailand is the worst by a mile and reflected in the fact that Thailand leads the world in road deaths but only those that die at the scene of tha accident are recorded.

Only way to survive is to treat every other motorist and motor bike rider as a potential killer ,namely defensive driving.

Agree.  And don't ride motor bikes.  If I remember correctly, nearly 70 % of all traffic deaths are on Motor cycles

On 10/25/2018 at 10:03 PM, Denim said:

I had a different test. No bubble chart.

I had to put my chin on a depression that held my head steady and was told to look straight ahead. Next they did a test to determine my peripheral vision by turning on small lights on both the left and right side of my head and I had to say what the colors were.

I failed. Could see the lights but not their color. So they did everyone else and I had to repeat the test.

Knowing I would perform no better, cheating was called for and I moved my eyes to left and right very quickly to determine the color.

They spotted my cheating and laughed but passed me anyway.

The only test they were strict on was the emergency stop reaction. Anyone failing was sent home and told to practice honing their reflexes

This is the peripheral vision test.  I had a hard time with my eyeglasses. Couldn't tell the colors.  Removed them and passed. There are foru tests they give in Khon Kaen - color, peripheral, depth perception and reflex. On a bad day you might get picked to watch the crash video.

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Agree.  And don't ride motor bikes.  If I remember correctly, nearly 70 % of all traffic deaths are on Motor cycles

Ok, a couple of issues here.

1.      don't ride motor bikes – I think I read earlier you are in your 70’s so I fully understand your thinking and you should not, I see these elderly guys on motor bikes and they are an accident about to happen. Most have no experience and a hazard to the traffic. I love the riding experience. Over the last 15 years in Thailand I have owned a dozen scooters and 3 large motorcycles, a Buell XB9S, and 2 x 1200 cc Ducati’s, I have been riding since I was 10 years and it is rewarding to go for a ride.

2.      70 % of all traffic deaths are on Motor cycles – 95% of the traffic are motor cycles, so nothing unusual here.

19 hours ago, Oxx said:
19 hours ago, VYCM said:

95% of the traffic are motor cycles

Simply don't believe it.  Made up statistic.  Fake news.

The correct figure is about 54%.  See http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-now-has-more-than-37-million-registered-cars/

You’re a funny guy – “The correct figure is about 54%”

You reckon its approx. 1 for 1 (@ 54%)

Mate you're obviously not living in Thailand or on medication.

Archived