11 convicted for detaining, raping girl in Phang Nga

webfact

11 convicted for detaining, raping girl in Phang Nga

By ANOTHAI NGARN-DEE 
THE NATION 

c03450fd3744e80a2c01e47eee160f46.jpeg

File photo

THE CRIMINAL Court yesterday convicted all 11 defendants for detaining and gang-raping a girl in their hometown in Phang Nga province for several months in 2016.

57532e195ea3376784da06da9c4e2689.jpeg

Of the convicts, seven received life imprisonment, while the remainder got lengthy jail terms ranging from 15 to 45 years. 

The court also ordered them to pay Bt18 million in compensation to the victim, now 16, and her mother. The compensation will include interest at 7.5 per cent a year since the day the case was filed with the court on June 15 last year. 

“We are satisfied with the verdict,” said Hanif Yongstar, secretary-general and lawyer with the Muslim for Peace Foundation. “But we will continue our fight to bring other culprits to justice too.” 

1a159f19093fb7fdf386f971167aa154.jpeg

According to the victim, she was sexually violated by more than 40 men between May and December 2016, but could not remember all the assailants’ faces because she was drugged several times. 

The girl initially kept quiet because she felt threatened and scared. Her village, Ban Koh Raed, in Takua Thung district, is small with less than 200 residents, and her attackers and their relatives are the majority there. 

However, when the victim’s mother learned what had happened, she immediately lodged a complaint with police last year. Months later, her family moved out of Ban Koh Raed and enrolled in a state-provided protection programme.

Public prosecutors eventually arraigned 11 suspects and the court found all of them guilty. 

According to the court, testimonies provided by the girl and her mother were consistent and credible. With other pieces of available evidence, the court found solid grounds to convict all defendants.

The convicts appeared worried after hearing the court verdict, though their lawyer, Sanphet Thipmontien, said he would file an appeal.

“It’s not what we expected,” he said.

Hanif, who represents the victim, said he believed some defendants should also be prosecuted for human trafficking. 

Based on the girl’s testimonies, she was taken out of her home, drugged and forced into providing sexual services to several men against her will. This raised suspicions that her attackers might have sold her to other men. 

It took time for her mother and stepfather to learn about her ordeal because they usually left their home to tap rubber at night. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30357205

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-26

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to the victim, she was sexually violated by more than 40 men between May and December 2016

Call me a bigot if you want, but this seems to be a rather sick, perverted, despicable thing that seems to happen within muslim communities in several countries.

34 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Call me a bigot if you want, but this seems to be a rather sick, perverted, despicable thing that seems to happen within muslim communities in several countries.

You are so right! Just read what Mathahir told when he offered help to the south of Thailand. There is nothing extrem or have anything to do with religion. They are all victims of injustice. What becomes of people with leaders like this? The result is that they go on believing they can do what they want in their own little false bubble of reality.

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

It is quite common

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

You just said what everyone was thinking.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Are you sure of what you said?  Ignorance is the main reason for being a bigot.

36 minutes ago, faraday said:

Why is it so common?

:smile:

Very simple.  Its common because they take their example from their "prophet" Muhammad (peace be upon him) who married Aisha (peace be upon her) when she was six years old. He was apparently nice enough to wait until the child was nine years old before taking her virginity in bed. She served him for the rest of his life.. but he did have others also.

Many of the "prophet" Muhammad's  (peace be upon him) lieutenants and followers at the time (peace be upon them) also took child brides and it continues to this day in many Muslim countries. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The girl initially kept quiet because she felt threatened and scared. Her village, Ban Koh Raed, in Takua Thung district, is small with less than 200 residents, and her attackers and their relatives are the majority there. 

Most of them would have turned a blind eye to this violation. Level the village, burn it all and scatter this community of beasts.

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

From the news reports, this does not seem to be a religious thing.  The Thai Buddhist men seem to have more than enough of the rape culture built in.  I am beginning to wonder if any young girl in Thailand has the chance to be a virgin at age 18.  From many of the anecdotes that I have heard it seems that most Thai girls are raped at some time in their lives.  As the father of 2 grown daughters, I find this to be horrendous!

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

Very simple.  Its common because they take their example from their "prophet" Muhammad (peace be upon him) who married Aisha (peace be upon her) when she was six years old. He was apparently nice enough to wait until the child was nine years old before taking her virginity in bed. She served him for the rest of his life.. but he did have others also.

Many of the "prophet" Muhammad's  (peace be upon him) lieutenants and followers at the time (peace be upon them) also took child brides and it continues to this day in many Muslim countries. 

Sick !

In the more fundamental Islam, raping non-Muslims (kafir) is emulating Mohammad so it's Ok.  This is where Islamic law meets secular law.  Secular law wins, this time.  It's no wonder why the Islamic sects that embrace strict fundamentalism and Sharia want to break away from Thailand.  Until they do they can't rape kafir women indiscriminately and without consequence.  

Why aren't the perpetrators of this ghastly crime being named and shamed by the newspapers which reported the trial? This should be part of their punishment, as it has been in the cases of similar "grooming gangs" responsible for abusing countless thousands of girls across the UK.

No indication is given, either, as to the ethnicity or religious faith of the abusers. 

Has political correctness been imported to Thailand?

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

Well I'm moved to offer peace upon all those who are/were used and treated in this way. 

I also want to acknowledge those who have passed on (whomever they may have been on earth) for going thru the hell of realization of what they did.  (I'm actually not talking of traditional religious hell fire/damnation, but rather what I've experienced of the 'other' side, namely, that there is no free ride, your soul pays for its sins).

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

Why "peace upon" such mentally ill pedophiles?!?

4 hours ago, faraday said:

Why is it so common?

Sexual repression, ignorance, and pure male chauvinism ... I taught in Malaysia Unis for ten years, had many students who admitted that both incest and pederasty in religious schools were common place ... These folks are hypocrites of the highest order, only surpassed by Catholic prelates.

Last academic review I read reported >30% of Malay women admitted incest and local sexual abuse by villagers. Lots of babies in the garbage.

4 hours ago, faraday said:

Why is it so common?

Because it is the belief of the male population that it's within their right to violate women as they wish.

With males dominating the police & justice system, with a majority of males holding most other positions of power no-one can go against them!

2 hours ago, German farang said:

Why "peace upon" such mentally ill pedophiles?!?

I was being sarcastic. I’m not Muslim. Muhammad and the men surrounding him who also took little child brides would today be thrown into prison for child sexual abuse if they lived in western industrialized nations. Little Aisha was as we know, only 6 years old when Muhammad took her for his wife. And she was, according to the accepted history, only 9 when Muhammad first used her for sex. From 9 years of age on, Muhammad had her regularly sleeping with him.        It’s very weird, creepy and criminal to our western way of thinking, but accepted in the minds of most, (not all), in the faith of Islam.

Muhammad and his lieutenants also set the example of it being okay to rape non-Muslim girls and women.  

It’s the example Muhammad set that is followed in much of Islam today and the reason that in some Islamic countries even today, you see grown and even elderly men marrying little girls with the blessing of the families and local Imams.  

Yes....it is very disturbing and sick. 

Isn't Thai law limited to a maximum of 50 years in jail for any major crime (murder, rape,) particularly rape of underage females. Moslem village of 200, girl and mother better run before they are stoned as the perpetrators rather than the victims. 

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

“It’s not what we expected,” The lawyer said......what was he expecting

a 500 THB fine and a slap on the wrist.

regards worgeordie

or death penalty maybe, and therefore he appeals ?
Did not get enough recognition for the brave and outstanding acts of his sad client beings.

Archived