Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

7 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:
9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why an exodus ? its not that hard to put money in a Thai account. If you have the money its just moving money around.

some maybe don't have the money

Depends on what TI says.  If they say, "Show foreign deposits into a Thai-acct monthly," businesses will quickly develop to assist in rotating the amount beyond mo-spend back out, and back in again. 

So if a 65K/mo foreign-deposit is required to show (2-mo, 3-mo, 1-yr?) and one's mo-expenses are 40K/mo, the excess 25K/mo will need to flow out of the country and back in every month. 

This should not cost much more than the letters and hassle for many of us (outreach is hours away) - and significantly less than paying agent-fees to fake the money entirely.  But, we don't know if TI will allow this or not - no announcement from them, yet

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You can still get a letter up until the 31st dec this year, and the letter is valid for 6 months. Its not immigration not accepting letters after jan, its US consulate not doing them.

Because TI has told them they won't be accepted any longer.  I thought maybe bull when only the BE was claiming this (given the ongoing scale-down of their operations/embassy), but now that it is 2 saying this, I put full-blame on TI.

6 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

So barring any change from Thai Immigration the letter will still work for the first six months of 2019? 

According to various quotes from immigration sources, yes - but none of this is confirmed/announced, yet.

• Like 1

Well I guess I am lucky since I just got my Affidavit and applied for the Extension on Wed. Immigration was just here and I am to go back on November 8th for my 90 days, which means my year extension if all goes well will expire Feb 2020. That gives me plenty of time to figure out how to do things and hopefully the Thai government will give us guidance. I can prove my income, but if I choose not to  intermittantly work in The US again, my income will go down so that I MAY need to do the combo method, or just drop the 800K.

Look at it this way, if you are getting MINIMAL social security ONLY of say $1500 a month (which is low for most folks with a lifetime of work), that means that at a flat 30B to the dollar you have provable income of 45,000 baht a month. That means all you need in the bank is 240,000 baht, or $8,000. Thats a worse case scenario.

I think rather than panic, we should just wait to see what shakes out. Starting to feed a Thai account would be a good idea if you feel you may need to show some income.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They are not allowed by law to verify anything at a US embassy.

Yes but can they notarize an affidavit from you certifying that your Social Security statement is correct?

28 minutes ago, Mojado said:

Source:   Vapattanawong, Patama. "ชาวต่างชาติในเมืองไทยเป็นใครบ้าง? (Foreigners in Thailand)" (PDF). Institute for Population and Social Research - Mahidol University. Retrieved June 30, 2017.

Untitled.png

That's 2010. Not what I would consider accurate. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I'm out of the country until the night of 12/27, so I hope the US Embassy will offer appointments for 12/28 and/or 12/31 .  The Embassy web site hasn't opened up appointments for December yet, so I'll just have to wait & see.

I have an appointment at the CM Consul on Dec 20th thru their online appointment system ...

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

They should just allow money flowing into an Thai account as proof.  

That would be easy to fake (see my earlier post). 

But, if TI allows this - the good news is, many who don't qualify, but were unwilling to lie on a Stat Doc (a felony-charge), will now be able to retire in Thailand by sending some money in circles. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Yes but can they notarize an affidavit from you certifying that your Social Security statement is correct?

how will they know your Social Security statement is correct? you should ask the embassy if they will do any legwork along those lines. 

let us know what they say.

• Like 2

Just now, JackThompson said:

That would be easy to fake (see my earlier post). 

But, if TI allows this - the good news is, many who don't qualify, but were unwilling to lie on a Stat Doc (a felony-charge), will now be able to retire in Thailand by sending some money in circles. 

Not as easy as swearing to something that is not true. This involves a lot more trouble. I mean even loaning 800K can be done and fakes. But its all just a bit harder to fake then just swearing to something that is untrue. 

There is no foolproof system but its less susceptible to fraud then the old ways. 

35 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You can still get a letter up until the 31st dec this year, and the letter is valid for 6 months. Its not immigration not accepting letters after jan, its US consulate not doing them.

Can't be sure on this, Immigration may make an announcement negating this possibility.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I'm out of the country until the night of 12/27, so I hope the US Embassy will offer appointments for 12/28 and/or 12/31 .  The Embassy web site hasn't opened up appointments for December yet, so I'll just have to wait & see.

15 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I have an appointment at the CM Consul on Dec 20th thru their online appointment system ...

And, what's that got to do with the price of fish?

(a) Even if I wanted to go to Chiang Mai, their latest appointment date is 27-Dec, which is too late for me

(b) Bangkok Embassy is only accepting online appointments right now until 30-Nov

• Like 1