Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

7 minutes ago, flexomike said:

You can still get the letter until the end of the year

Which begs the question, how long will each Immigration office accept this documentation? Through January 2019, through March 31, 2019, through June 30, 2019?

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

People on retirement extensions are assumed to be living in Thailand and thus can reasonably be expected to have the necessary funds for their living costs in a Thai bank account.

Understood, but then how does just keeping a lump sum of 800,000 in an account year-in, year-out show as having necessary funds? Do you have to spend this fully over -15 to -3 months, then replenish it?

It seems like many people just keep 800,000 parked for years, and then live off other funds, which may be more, or less than, 65,000 per month.

My plan is to park 800,000, but am worried that Immigration will want to see that account used for living expenses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

The British Embassy made a pigs ear of presenting this to the public but are nonetheless vindicated by this announcement.

... or to blame for causing the change in immigration policy announcement to take place sooner than it otherwise might and ,so far, nothing (sort of) definite regarding future guidelines except from a few random immigrations officers.

• Like 1

This doesnt effect me yet but its clear the older with more money to be left around is more important. If this happens to me i will move my thai family away so preparing in advance to sell land to other family and put things in kids names and sit around and wait to move out. No more money. No value!

3 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

LOL.

You think I'm ignorant !

I am not fannying round, looking for ways to get my next visa. ????????

3 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

LOL.

You think I'm ignorant !

I am not fannying round, looking for ways to get my next visa. ????????

What???  LOL

Don't get your self to worked up there Thaiwrath.

Sounds like you are a real smart cookie... ???? 

Edited by garyk
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

According to various quotes from immigration sources, yes - but none of this is confirmed/announced, yet

More or less announced on the actual Embassy web site- under ACS Notarials- they indicate thai Imm will accept the letter for 6 months 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Bad news for US nationals.

I have said it before just swearing to something leaves too many loopholes open its illegal to swear to things that are not the truth but the chances of being caught were almost non existent. 

Seems all sides have finally seen the same problems and fixed it in the most convenient way for them and not for the best way for their clients. Seems putting money in a Thai account is the way to go.

I expect that other European countries will follow … I have already my 800000 bathts in bank for 2 years already 

Effective January 1, 2019, the United States Embassy in Bangkok and the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai will no longer provide an income affidavit and will not notarize previous versions of the income affidavit. The Royal Thai Government requires applicants to meet a 

Edited by Guest
Wrong Information / Clarification

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Get a income affidavit now and apply in December. The affidavit is good for 6 months. 

In the Brit Post.. They said Income Statements issued prior to Jan 1, 2019 will be honored for 6 months.

Probably safer to apply in Dec but Jan should be OK as well. 

Edited by Jeffrey346

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

not as ignorant as living check to check.  The GBP dropped twenty percent in a day in 2016....2% On a 12 month fixed deposit, and no consulate letter is not bad.  This has been in the works for years...people abused it more than ED Visas......send the losers home.

I am so surprised at the people that seem to think just because you used the letter you don't have any funds????

And living pay check to pay check? 

Not much faith in retirees.

Personally I think most all will get or have the funds if they want to stay.

Huge payday for Thailand for sure.

• Like 2

According to what I have read - since the  Embassy letter will still be good for 6 months and a person can apply for extension of stay up to 30-45 days early then extensions due into July will be covered and possibly early August- if the letter is obtained in December.  Ubon Joe- is this correct?

Lovely.  My retirement extension is up for renewal mid-January, so it's now too late to have the B800,000 on deposit in a Thai bank for 90 days.  What the heck am I supposed to do?
Just do it now. The letter is good for 6 months so you should be covered in January.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, certacito said:

How long until the Australian embassy's news flash ?

Perhaps the Brits and Yanks should consider applying for Australian citizenship. Why not, you would be more welcome than some other immigrants.

The Australian system is different. It's a Statutory Declaration, and there are criminal penalties including jail for anyone making a false declaration. I don't know if Thai Immigration is taking account of this difference. Wait and see.

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I was waiting for this to happen. I assumed sooner of later this door would close. It was just too easy, for too many. No verification? Nothing? Just a statement of fact?

I think immigration is determined to weed out the guys who are just getting by. It seems, since they have lost the golden egg of affluent tourists, years ago, due to a countless number of mistakes on the part of the authorities, they are now trying to make up for it, with more affluent ex-pats.

I think it is strictly a way to put money in the system period. Their are not that many expats from the U.S. living here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, garyk said:

125,000 total U.S. + U.K expats x 800,000 = 100 billion baht?

Just speculation on my part but I would bet 95-98% used the letter. It was required, and anyone that actually put 800K in a Thai bank just for that purpose would be ignorant IMO.

The best part of 100,000 brit expats here.  According to the BE only 3,000 used the income letter.

A large lump of those expats are not retired or married and work for a living negating any financial requirements.

100 billion baht in new money is a big stretch of the imagination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

how will they know your Social Security statement is correct? you should ask the embassy if they will do any legwork along those lines. 

let us know what they say.

Pretty sure they are prohibited from doing anything that suggests they have proved the contents of a document to be accurate.

That's why they note for affidavits:

Please note that the Embassy and Consulate assume no responsibility for the truth or falsity of the representations that appear in the affidavit. Only the identity of the individual making the statement is validated.

8 minutes ago, HHTel said:

The best part of 100,000 brit expats here.  According to the BE only 3,000 used the income letter.

A large lump of those expats are not retired or married and work for a living negating any financial requirements.

100 billion baht in new money is a big stretch of the imagination.

The Thai banks will be guaranteed to have the extra money. As of today Americans and Brits can and do and use the letter route. I don't know for sure but, I think I will look into it and see if I can find a figure. But, I bet before this is over 100 Billion baht would not be out of the question.

Also I bet other embassy's will follow. 

Time will tell.

No matter what anyone says it is always about the money!

Edited by garyk