Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

26 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

You should still be able to get the income letter now. If the renewal date is mid-January you should be able to do the renewal before the end of this year.

Now Im confused. On Wednesday, I applied for (thanks Ubon Joe)  "a non immigrant visa based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement". I used an income letter signed this month. 

On Nov 8th, I go back to Immigration and I will receive a 90 day extension.

That means I have to report back in February for the year extension...

I have a bank account, and I just transferwised in like 33,000 baht. the other deposits this month came in from cash in hand.

So when do I have to start the 65K in? Now? Next month? Or when I go back in February? Should I go in January to get the year extension?

My circs are a little different than most as I was only planning to be here about 5-7 months a year, which I could easily do by way of two SETVs or a METV. But it seem easier and cheaper to do the retirement extension. What if I decide to just bag the year extension in Feb and leave and get an SETV, then take off in April like I was planning?  I dont want to tie up 25 large in a Thai bank account. Nor do I want to fund one when Im not here.  Damn this is hard.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Maybe that is why Thailand now wants to see a (Thai) bank book showing regular deposits of 65,000/month.

Yeah, I think it has come to that. "We don't want a stat dec or an affidavit or a promise by aunt Mary, we want to see the money here in Thailand."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Well I, for one, don't want to put aside $$$$ that have been making a good return on investment - last year that 24k ended up at 27.6k just sitting there.....

You're dead ended once you are forced to move & park that money in a Thai account....Moving it there is easy, moving it back & forth from a Thai bank across international boundaries to allow for earnings is not easy, or a good plan....

I've used the income affidavit & can verify every amount off my US bank statements as well as the monthly Thai withdrawls noted & itemized on the same bank statements in increments between 40-75k withdrawn at the Thai bank branch a couple of times each month......

Dead ending that money is, not what I feel, a good option.....

Everyone should agree with that. I do the same. People that park 800K in a Thai bank when they did not have too didn't have the monthly income IMO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Well I, for one, don't want to put aside $$$$ that have been making a good return on investment - last year that 24k ended up at 27.6k just sitting there.....

You're dead ended once you are forced to move & park that money in a Thai account....Moving it there is easy, moving it back & forth from a Thai bank across international boundaries to allow for earnings is not easy, or a good plan....

I've used the income affidavit & can verify every amount off my US bank statements as well as the monthly Thai withdrawls noted & itemized on the same bank statements in increments between 40-75k withdrawn at the Thai bank branch a couple of times each month......

How much would you lose putting 25 grand in a Thai bank as opposed to a US bank? Why do you think you can't move it back to the USA?  I've had no problems.

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Dead ending for only 3 months...! And even in my country I could get from bank 0.10 % max, in Kasikorn on by you named e dead end money 0.50% and I can live on it and fill up again what is needed next extension......must be a golden investment you can do in this financial times ...

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I have a total of 1.6 million baht in two different Thai banks. One bank has 800,000 baht year round and one letter is all I need from the bank for the immigration requirement so I don't need to worry about all this crap. What am I ignorant of? I need to know.  

If from America you could of invested that money and it would be paying you a great dividend? Even a crummy fund would pay you some good dividends!

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

Bangkok Embassy is only accepting online appointments right now until 30-Nov

Assuming they are working from 28th to 31st, keep checking for appointments in Bangkok. They normally only show appointment dates for a month or so in advance. Not sure about CM.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

OK how much would 25 grand for 3 months make you in the USA as opposed to Thailand?  Bet you don't respond!

I don't understand what that has to do with anything?

• Confused 1

One wonders over what period of time the Baht 65,000 deposits per month need to be shown. In the past they seemed to be only interested in seeing banking history for the three months prior to applying for an extension. 

Would assume long enough to show it made up at least 800k a year ie. 12 months, or ppl would not bother going the deposit route if they just needed 195k of transfers over three months

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

Dead ending for only 3 months...! And even in my country I could get from bank 0.10 % max, in Kasikorn on by you named e dead end money 0.50% and I can live on it and fill up again what is needed next extension......must be a golden investment you can do in this financial times ...

One of the reasons I don't want to put 800K in a Thai bank at almost zero interest.  All my current pension investments have produced a lot more than that.  One stock gave 19% growth and I'm not talking risk investment.

• Thanks 1