Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

One of the reasons I don't want to put 800K in a Thai bank at almost zero interest.  All my current pension investments have produced a lot more than that.  One stock gave 19% growth and I'm not talking risk investment.

How much would it cost you for 3 months? 

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Absolutely. IF you have the money to spare.

Many people don't though they do have the income to cover it.

And for those who don't of cannot come up with a lump sum?

What are they supposed to do?

Leave their Thai families behind and go back to their own country on their own?

Nobody said it was fair, i agree. 

Again the good have to suffer because of the bad.

But if embassies really wanted it they could get some kind of paper from the tax office to show your income. (does mean you would have to file tax back home). The embassy could get your permission for a check.

I mean this system could be setup if they really wanted to help their citizen but i doubt they will. 

Anyway can't blame Thailand for closing loopholes. You have to blame the embassies for not finding a way around the problems.

Back where I come from you can ask an income declaration by the tax office, that is hard to forge if the embassy were to check that then it would be a valid way to check things. 

Only disadvantage is that it would force you to file taxes (often not needed as its already taxes and filing will result in 0 to pay or get back)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

That would be easy to fake (see my earlier post). 

But, if TI allows this - the good news is, many who don't qualify, but were unwilling to lie on a Stat Doc (a felony-charge), will now be able to retire in Thailand by sending some money in circles. 

I just got a 6 month bank statement from the BKK bank yesterday (for something different than this issue), but the statement was detailed so much that providing this as proof of transfer of funds should be enough for any immigration official. Little chance of falsifying that.

But, as I mentioned in an earlier post, which way will immigration go as the affidavit is no longer available from June next year, or 6 months from Dec 31st, whichever comes first?

2 hours ago, certacito said:

How long until the Australian embassy's news flash ?

Contacted AUS embassy early this week & advised there are no planned changes to provision of Notary services, including witnessing of Stat Decs.. Stand to be corrected, but, both UK & US embassies, were verifying citizen's income, whereas AUS embassy only witnessing signing of Stat Dec; verifying signatory, NOT actual content....  

1 hour ago, Pib said:

would basically only have the big money in a Thai bank option which I'm sure will be hard for some.

Especially during the current stock market swoon in the US. Liquidating stocks that have recently dropped 10% or more is not something I want to do right now. Maybe if you-know-who works out something with the Chinese next year will see better stock prices.

2 hours ago, certacito said:

How long until the Australian embassy's news flash ?

You could apply for your Retirement visa in Australia at the Thai Embassy in Canberra as I do or your home country for most expats.  You need proof that you have the required funds ( real proof no BS at the Thai Embassy), a police report, a doctors certificate and the usual application forms and passport pics and $275.00 and you arrive in Thailand with everything in order, walk straight through and to boot you get a multi entry "O" visa so that with a quick trip across the boarder just before the 1st year ends you get a 1 year extension free, it is good for 2 days short of 2 years. (Nong Khai, you walk over and back). You can come and go from Thailand as many times as you like in the 1st year.  It's really suppose to be the same applying for one in Thailand, but well TIT you know???  

PS it's really only bad for those that do not have the Bt800.000.  In Aus you need at least Bt30,000,000 even just to apply.   Thailand cheap as chips.  The under cover retirement agents will be licking their lips over this.  My god how the money rolls in.

• Like 2

This news does not bother me, I anticipated it many years ago and followed the 800k in the bank route, just a 200 Baht letter from the bank satisfies immigration. What does bother me is the news that many Thai banks are closing branches as electronic branches become common, my bank SCB is closing 200 branches in the near future. Unless immigration will accept an electronic printout, which at the moment they don't, it will become increasingly difficult to get a bank letter. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, garyk said:

I don't understand what that has to do with anything?

Marcus meant what is the difference between the interest you would get on USD 25,000 for 3 months in USA, and on Bht 800,000 in a Thai bank. Not much I would guess.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Well I, for one, don't want to put aside $$$$ that have been making a good return on investment - last year that 24k ended up at 27.6k just sitting there.....

You're dead ended once you are forced to move & park that money in a Thai account....Moving it there is easy, moving it back & forth from a Thai bank across international boundaries to allow for earnings is not easy, or a good plan....

I've used the income affidavit & can verify every amount off my US bank statements as well as the monthly Thai withdrawls noted & itemized on the same bank statements in increments between 40-75k withdrawn at the Thai bank branch a couple of times each month......

Dead ending that money is, not what I feel, a good option.....

We are talking about 800K, I still can't see the problom

Lame timing on the part of the US Embassy. Had they made this statement in Septemeber, at least people would have had time to transfer and age the required 800,000 baht bank deposit. Now some of the people who must renew in January and February are screwed. 

Everyone should agree with that. I do the same. People that park 800K in a Thai bank when they did not have too didn't have the monthly income IMO.
You should not be"parking" 800k and indeed if that is what you do there will be questions asked by Immigration as to what you are living on. Draw down on the money for your living costs here in place of whatever else it was you were doing. If you live on less than 800k a year then the difference between 800 and whatever you actually spend is all that is parked.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Orac said:

Would assume long enough to show it made up at least 800k a year ie. 12 months, or ppl would not bother going the deposit route if they just needed 195k of transfers over three months

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, but that only establishes what you did during the past year. No proof you'd be able to manage it during the life of a new extension.

And for someone who stays in Thailand for 9 months of the year, would he need to shift Baht 65000 a month in during the months he was out of the country?

Showing (genuine) social security and pension payments suggests your income will be there for the next year as well. 

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

While British, I have to ask what function the Embassies actually serve? They seem to do very little in my mind, having absconded for any real work to support their citizens overseas. Certainly, they can be counted on less and less for anything useful.
They serve the same function as tits on a boar hog.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

How much would you lose putting 25 grand in a Thai bank as opposed to a US bank? Why do you think you can't move it back to the USA?  I've had no problems.

That money is making me $3,500+ a year.....Why would I want to lose that by parking it here....? 

Why would I want $10,000+ ($25k) bouncing back & forth? Racking up tracking/reporting in this day & age....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Has anyone ever seen Thai Immigration set the bar lower for Expats?  No.  They only set the bar higher.  I moved funds over years ago as you can see future changes happening from miles away.  Immigration treads to make things more complicated, not easier.
Best to get 'locked in' now with 800K THB in the bank.  If they revamp the rules for retirement in the near future, ya'll may find that the change mandates 1,500K THB in the bank unless you're previously 'grand-fathered' by having at least one extension of stay based on 800K in a Thai bank.
If you've never noticed, we're not wanted here unless you are a foreign woman married to a Thai man, then different rules apply.  Everyone else is persona-non-grata.  Honestly, if I hadn't have married a Thai, I'd be retired elsewhere right now.  The only reason I stay is because of my marriage and extended Thai family that I support - as if the Thai government could give a damn, because they don't. 
Best of luck for all you out there depending on the 65K THB/month method.  But think on the bright side - this may give you the motivation to seek retirement elsewhere on the planet in a country that is much more foreigner friendly than Prathet Thai.  To make that step, you need to get out of your comfort zone.  ¿Hablas español?  May be a good time to learn Spanish.  Heck of a lot easier than Thai.  :thumbsup: 

Claro que si!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1