Anti-junta rappers face charges under Computer Crimes Act

rooster59

Anti-junta rappers face charges under Computer Crimes Act

By The Nation

e3cf200369100c2346c00d0d762f1dfd.jpeg

The Rap Against Dictatorship (RAD) group faces charges under the Computer Crimes Act after their single “My Country’s Got…” slamming military dictatorship went viral.

9e46d470013d91b3b900401abdce2bc6.jpeg

Pol Colonel Siriwat Deepor

Pol Colonel Siriwat Deepor, the deputy spokesman of the Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD), yesterday said police had already been ordered to identify the rappers and explore the option of pressing charges.

Police believe the rappers’ actions could have violated the Computer Crimes Act, which prohibits computer information inconsistent with the truth, undermines national security or causes public panic, he said.

The song’s content had defamed the country, the deputy spokesman said, adding that it could impact the economy and lead to loss of confidence among investors.

The rappers would be summoned, Siriwat said. Police said they would expedite the legal process because the song had a negative impact on the country.

The music video “My Country’s Got…” by RAD was uploaded to YouTube on Monday.

The video shows different rappers rap about social and political issues, especially those surrounding military coups. The backdrop in the video shows a historic scene from the massacre on October 6, 1976.

The video has garnered almost 2 million views so far, with more than one hundred thousand likes.

The hashtag #MyCountrysGot has also gone viral, with people discussing issues facing the country.

b432ac0f0693082ea8c48c06156c9a57.jpeg

Government spokesman Puttipong Punnakanta

While a large number of netizens were touched deeply by the song, Government Spokesman Puttipong Punnakanta yesterday expressed his disappointment with the video. He questioned whether any groups were behind RAD to produce this controversial song.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30357295

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-27

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...The video has garnered almost 2 million views so far, with more than one hundred thousand likes..."

Every once in a while, I get the words 'powder keg' reverberating around my brain, slowly fading in and out and in and out. 

And, the numbers 1-9-9-2.

I wonder why...

Hmm...

Double hmm...

9 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Not  that people might  just be  getting  pissed  off with their countries shenanigans then?

I think you raise an interesting point; what exactly do the Thai people think of the current rulers? And the current situation in their country?

Respectfully, there is a snowball's chance in hell that the Nation provides an accurate picture, nor do I believe that the "polls" that are published do either. Nor the 'newspaper that cannot be named'.

What is the true mindset of the Thai people? It is quite a feat for a video to achieve 100,000 'likes' in such a short time, especially considering the endless stories of people being arrested and charged for much less.

Is this a leading indicator of things to come?

Many people on the Forum, including myself at times, seem to think that the Junta is very secure and certainly going to plague the country for many years to come, but what if we are incorrect? What if there is a groundswell of opinion (which we as foreigners do not see and/or hear) building?

What is the true sense of the Thai people?

Hmm...

Double hmm...

Something to ponder this Saturday morning...

5 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I think you raise an interesting point; what exactly do the Thai people think of the current rulers? And the current situation in their country?

Respectfully, there is a snowball's chance in hell that the Nation provides an accurate picture, nor do I believe that the "polls" that are published do either. Nor the 'newspaper that cannot be named'.

What is the true mindset of the Thai people? It is quite a feat for a video to achieve 100,000 'likes' in such a short time, especially considering the endless stories of people being arrested and charged for much less.

Is this a leading indicator of things to come?

Many people on the Forum, including myself at times, seem to think that the Junta is very secure and certainly going to plague the country for many years to come, but what if we are incorrect? What if there is a groundswell of opinion (which we as foreigners do not see and/or hear) building?

What is the true sense of the Thai people?

Hmm...

Double hmm...

Something to ponder this Saturday morning...

Impossible to say, but I dont know anyone my Wife speaks to, and she meets a lot of people daily in her job who actually  like this govt, even down to a  policeman we know well, many complain of  a  poor  economy not the shining beacon of rampant prosperity proclaimed.

56 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The song’s content had defamed the country, the deputy spokesman said, adding that it could impact the economy and lead to loss of confidence among investors.

Does the deputy have any evidence to support these statements

If not then i suggest the deputy be charged under the Computer Crimes Act for statements inconsistant with the truth.

9 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

I dont know anyone my Wife speaks to, and she meets a lot of people daily in her job who actually  like this govt,

It would depend on her job, where she comes from, and where you live.

Ethnic Siam people like the military, ethnic Laos people vote for Thaksin.

If your wife is a government official, everyone she talks to will 'like' the government. 

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The video has garnered almost 2 million views so far, with more than one hundred thousand likes.

Plus 5.1 million views, 296K likes and 4.4 dislikes on youtube.

Prayut must be furious that songs about him are more popular than songs written by him.

Here we go again - can’t stand the heat - get out of the kitchen!

Gone viral thanks to the police - who seem to be very helpful making the song popular - will the police be charged for being complicit??

Lyrics also with English subtitles.

Their talk about charges have made the song so popular that they already 5.2 million views and 270.000 likes right now on YouTube.

Maybe next time switch on brain - if there is one - before open mouth!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

39 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Impossible to say, but I dont know anyone my Wife speaks to, and she meets a lot of people daily in her job who actually  like this govt, even down to a  policeman we know well, many complain of  a  poor  economy not the shining beacon of rampant prosperity proclaimed.

There are plenty who like this government and who will vote for its proxy party in the General Election next year. The overwhelming opinion of the Bangkok middle class is that Prayuth will be PM this time next year.

But this rap video is interesting and its view count astonishing. It shows that for many young Thais there is anger and impatience. There's a curious contradiction in the Thai psyche - a deferential attachment to tradition and the old order co-existing with a need to attack selfishness and the arrogance of power.

If I was a Junta leader I wouldn't worry too much about this video though perhaps in the small hours it would be a disturbing dream. It would be a still small voice insistently whispering, "the future does not belong with you".

A Rap on the knuckles for junta

By Phatarawadee Phataranawik 
The Nation Weekend

657a15e88717723d927f91b17d9861bd.jpeg

Video draws a million hits, but the 10 indie rappers may have to face charges.

5ef90fc8d3c996f34e528fcfeb071b16.jpeg

EVEN THOUGH the hottest rap single, “Prathet Ku Mee...” (My Country’s Got...), hit No 2 in the YouTube Thailand chart on Wednesday, the popular anti-junta refrain might still land the Rap against Dictatorship group in trouble, the nation’s top cop warned on Friday. 

The music video, featuring rappers having a go at the ruling junta, had been watched close to a million times on Facebook and YouTube as of Wednesday – less than 24 hours since its release.

The clip was watched 1.7 million times as of press time on Friday, prompting authorities to warn the artists that they may be summoned for “attitude adjustment” and face the charge of putting false information into cyberspace, as per the Computer Crimes Act. 

eb7a11a9db9ef59385edb5fdd46ff988.jpeg

The single was initially released on October 14, marking the 45th anniversary of the October 1973 uprising, but it only became popular this week when the music video was released, featuring 10 well-known underground rappers who adopted different aliases to maintain their anonymity. 

The idea for the track took form more than six months ago, with graffiti artist Alex Face creating the album cover depicting a cartoon-like creature in the pose of August Rodin’s “Thinker” inside the “Gate of Hell”, also by Rodin. 

Created by four directors, the music video depicts the historic October 6, 1976 image of a corpse hanging from a tree in Sanam Luang. The performers, wearing masks, hit the corpse in time to their beat and are watched by a crowd of young people.

dbefc74d5d939c407d66e84a9885bd8c.jpeg

This is not the first time that Thai artists have been inspired by a bloody event. Well-known photography artist Manit Stowanichapoom and young conceptual artist Nutdanai Jitbunjong also used this historic image in their work. 

9635aa5881c62e098f9f7960927245ea.jpeg

However, this song is clearly a rare voice of dissent from mainstream performers, who feel they cannot criticise the military junta directly. 

Yet, they have chosen rap – which can only ever have straightforward lyrics – and there appears to be no reticence in the five-minute performance, in which the 10 rappers take turns denouncing what they see as wrong with Thailand. 

The song speaks about the hypocrisy of military dictatorship, the deep political divide, deaths on both sides of the divide and the failure of self-righteousness. 

“As artists we want to reflect the truth of the society we are living in under dictatorship. Thailand seems to be caught in a loop of dictatorship. We want to voice what the majority cannot say directly. The lyrics were based on information we collected on social media, reflecting the sickness of our society,” one rapper told The Nation Weekend, adding that his team had spent almost a year working on the tune and music video.

The lyrics are: 

“My country preaches morals, but has a crime rate higher than the Eiffel 

My country’s Parliament is a soldiers’ playground 

My country points a gun at your throat 

Claims to have freedom but gives no right to choose 

My country’s government is untouchable 

The police use laws to threaten people 

My country asks you to stay quiet or in jail.”

Pro-democracy politicians, |like the young rising star Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, who leads the Future Forward Party, and Pheu Thai’s Chaturon Chaisaeng publicly applauded the rappers’ bravery. However, top cops were certainly not fans. 

8311c2ad9dfead1a94bf6458cefda318.jpeg

Deputy National Police chief Srivara Ransibrahmanakul said on Friday that the Rap against Dictatorship group may have broken the law by releasing this single, and that the Police Technology Crime Suppression Division would study the lyrics to see if they violated any junta orders. 

The rappers will also be summoned to testify if they intended to cause any chaos or violate any orders from the ruling National Council for Peace and Order, he added.

“I want to warn musicians to not do anything that risks violating the country’s laws, as it will not be good for them or their families if the songs are found to be violating the law,” Srivara warned. However, the artists said they were just exercising their freedom of expression. 

“It’s normal in a democratic society for artists to reflect the truth in their society through art. It’s the artists’ role to share their thoughts through their creations,” assistant professor Pandit Chanrochanakit, deputy dean at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Political Science, told The Nation Weekend. “I think these rappers reflect what we are facing in Thailand. I think the police should heed the lyrics and listen to the voice of the public, so the country’s problems can be solved.” 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30357279

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-27

e3cf200369100c2346c00d0d762f1dfd.jpeg

Reaping what they sow.  I watched the video yesterday as it was being shared around the internet.  Nice job, young men.  The rhythm and pace of the song could have been changed up a bit, (it gets redundant) but I imagine the message was clear. What was with the swinging dead mannequin being beaten? Nice touch.

My wife while we were in Thailand was always wary of sharing anything 'suspect' on social media.

Her floodgates of frustration were unleashed once we were outside of the realm of the computer crime act and 112, and has shared this video prolifically!
She has also shared many of those unmentionable pics to an audience hungry to see reality

Doesn't bode well for the pressure cooker building in Thailand!

14 minutes ago, JimP said:

Reaping what they sow.  I watched the video yesterday as it was being shared around the internet.  Nice job, young men.  The rhythm and pace of the song could have been changed up a bit, (it gets redundant) but I imagine the message was clear. What was with the swinging dead mannequin being beaten? Nice touch.

Representing one of the students who was hung from a tamarind tree by a right wing mob at Sanam Luang on October 6th 1976. His corpse was repeatedly battered with a chair as it swung in the air.

42 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

“I want to warn musicians to not do anything that risks violating the country’s laws, as it will not be good for them or their families

Arresting these rappers would not be a smart move considering the millions of new young voters this election and intimidating people's families is a threat to the core of Thai society.

I find it quite incredulous that a military clique that brought itself to power illegally almost half a decade ago by way of a coup d’etat and since then has been exerting practically unlimited power over all aspects of society would be rapped (pun intended) by a song that criticizes that this very junta… wait for it…  brought itself to power illegally almost half a decade ago by way of a coup d’etat and since then has been exerting practically unlimited power over all aspects of society.

Claiming that the song “defames” the country and “poses a threat to national security” is cynical in its “inconsistency with the truth.” The fact is that the junta defamed the country the moment it took power and has been defaming the country every single day since through its very existence. When are they going to prosecute and jail themselves for this? The biggest threat to Thailand’s national security always have been the power-hungry generals that just seem unable (and unwilling) to keep their hands out of politics.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Police believe the rappers’ actions could have violated the Computer Crimes Act, which prohibits computer information inconsistent with the truth, undermines national security or causes public panic,

So by using the same police logic (falling at the first hurdle, I know), if someone published information to say what a safe country Thailand is and the number of deaths caused by road traffic accidents was not as bad as reported, would they too be prosecuted for publishing 'information inconsistent with the truth'?

<end of rhetorical question mode>

“Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear."

Harry S. Truman

Archived