BANGKOK 20 April 2019 01:44
rooster59

Anti-junta rappers face charges under Computer Crimes Act

Anti-junta rappers face charges under Computer Crimes Act

By The Nation

e3cf200369100c2346c00d0d762f1dfd.jpeg

The Rap Against Dictatorship (RAD) group faces charges under the Computer Crimes Act after their single “My Country’s Got…” slamming military dictatorship went viral.

9e46d470013d91b3b900401abdce2bc6.jpeg

Pol Colonel Siriwat Deepor

Pol Colonel Siriwat Deepor, the deputy spokesman of the Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD), yesterday said police had already been ordered to identify the rappers and explore the option of pressing charges.

Police believe the rappers’ actions could have violated the Computer Crimes Act, which prohibits computer information inconsistent with the truth, undermines national security or causes public panic, he said.

The song’s content had defamed the country, the deputy spokesman said, adding that it could impact the economy and lead to loss of confidence among investors.

The rappers would be summoned, Siriwat said. Police said they would expedite the legal process because the song had a negative impact on the country.

The music video “My Country’s Got…” by RAD was uploaded to YouTube on Monday.

The video shows different rappers rap about social and political issues, especially those surrounding military coups. The backdrop in the video shows a historic scene from the massacre on October 6, 1976.

The video has garnered almost 2 million views so far, with more than one hundred thousand likes.

The hashtag #MyCountrysGot has also gone viral, with people discussing issues facing the country.

b432ac0f0693082ea8c48c06156c9a57.jpeg

Government spokesman Puttipong Punnakanta

While a large number of netizens were touched deeply by the song, Government Spokesman Puttipong Punnakanta yesterday expressed his disappointment with the video. He questioned whether any groups were behind RAD to produce this controversial song.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30357295

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-27
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

because the song had a negative impact on the country

Clueless,more highly qualified international pundits

5 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I think you raise an interesting point; what exactly do the Thai people think of the current rulers? And the current situation in their country?

Respectfully, there is a snowball's chance in hell that the Nation provides an accurate picture, nor do I believe that the "polls" that are published do either. Nor the 'newspaper that cannot be named'.

What is the true mindset of the Thai people? It is quite a feat for a video to achieve 100,000 'likes' in such a short time, especially considering the endless stories of people being arrested and charged for much less.

Is this a leading indicator of things to come?

Many people on the Forum, including myself at times, seem to think that the Junta is very secure and certainly going to plague the country for many years to come, but what if we are incorrect? What if there is a groundswell of opinion (which we as foreigners do not see and/or hear) building?

What is the true sense of the Thai people?

Hmm...

Double hmm...

Something to ponder this Saturday morning...

Impossible to say, but I dont know anyone my Wife speaks to, and she meets a lot of people daily in her job who actually  like this govt, even down to a  policeman we know well, many complain of  a  poor  economy not the shining beacon of rampant prosperity proclaimed.

• Like 2

Here we go again - can’t stand the heat - get out of the kitchen!

Gone viral thanks to the police - who seem to be very helpful making the song popular - will the police be charged for being complicit??

Lyrics also with English subtitles.

Their talk about charges have made the song so popular that they already 5.2 million views and 270.000 likes right now on YouTube.

Maybe next time switch on brain - if there is one - before open mouth!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched it Youtube you can see the frustration and anger, My Mrs and her family enjoyed listening too in

• Like 2