Anti-junta rappers face charges under Computer Crimes Act

rooster59

6 minutes ago, the guest said:

I  think the government have no choice but to throw them in jail. The Junta wants to demonstrate their control, and contain any one that steps out of line, otherwise they will lose face. Democracy will be put on hold (again) as they will say this is the reason why then need to hang onto power, it's a vicious circle. 

It has hit international news distribution.  Anything they do will be reported.  For a country that is do dependent on tourism, and a government that is SO thin skinned, they may wish to take a more competitive stance.  I am pretty sure that is what the junta fortune tellers are saying. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

It has hit international news distribution.  Anything they do will be reported.  For a country that is do dependent on tourism, and a government that is SO thin skinned, they may wish to take a more competitive stance.  I am pretty sure that is what the junta fortune tellers are saying. 

Tourism only plays a small part in Thailand's economy as their manufacturing base is very strong, and I very much doubt they are concerned with the views of the outside world. Thailand doesn't hit the radar of many countries, so it small change.

1 minute ago, the guest said:

Tourism only plays a small part in Thailand's economy, and I very much doubt they are concerned with the views of the outside world.

They very much are. 

If they arrest them, it will be massive news. Even the junta know this. 

25 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I'd be very curious as to how Prayut is reacting to this, as I assume that he hasn't actually been told the true feelings of the Thai people to date, or for a very long time.

Think about it; I do not know what goes on at the highest level of the Thai Junta, but would you want to be the one who brings (day to day) bad news to Prayut and the others? Or, would you shade/spin that data a bit to make him look good? Human nature supplies the answer. Then, add in Thai culture where an employee will throw themselves on a hand grenade rather than admit a problem to their boss. Finally, consider Prayut's life/career; he has risen through the military ranks rapidly, leading a sheltered life where people would (inevitably, due to his rapid rise) flatter him through night and day.

Now, after four years of absolute power (and certainly more and more flattery), he sees a bunch of Rappers singing a tune which vilifies him and his cronies; that has to be a shock. And, 12 million views? So far? That has to be a shock. Add in that if he or his cronies bans Youtube, he will look like a weak, sobbing little girl? That also has to be a shock. The whole experience has to be a shock.

Faced with a new, unrealized reality, people can go one of two ways; they can accept what is shown them and try to improve OR they can not accept it and double-down on what the problem was in the first place.

What will Prayut do?

Hmm...

Just saying, but when those who breathe the rarefied air of the Bangkok elite come to power and then consistently exhibit how out of touch they are from the average citizen -- that's the fuel that ignites populist dissension and possibly revolutionary change.  Most of us don't need an advisor to tell us we're not wearing clothes. 

41 minutes ago, the guest said:

I  think the government have no choice but to throw them in jail. The Junta wants to demonstrate their control, and contain any one that steps out of line, otherwise they will lose face. Democracy will be put on hold (again) as they will say this is the reason why then need to hang onto power, it's a vicious circle. 

Think it is too late for junta to act. The song and the rappers have gained much attention locally and globally after it was uploaded on Monday. A little too late. Any arrest will be news everywhere and may spark off more woes for the junta. Prayut will be throwing quite a fit at the Homes Ministry. 

Sorry but the Constitutional Court has already sustained NCPO amnesty and any change would require a constitutional amendment.
As previously noted by many OPs that's very unlikely, especially as the Constitutional Court has been politicized by juntas and the  military will control the Senate.

That’s why I said a “proper” court and not a kangaroo court under a military dictatorship.

But it is never going to happen until they have a truly independent judiciary.

Which this country will never have either - at least not in the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, the guest said:

Tourism only plays a small part in Thailand's economy as their manufacturing base is very strong, and I very much doubt they are concerned with the views of the outside world. Thailand doesn't hit the radar of many countries, so it small change.

I thought along those lines too, but the way they act makes me think it is much higher.  Also, the manufacturing is mostly centered around automotive with a few wafer fabs, which does not trickle down very much.  It stays with the more equal Thais.  The middle  and less than middle class seem to benefit more from tourism.  I could be wrong. The city of Orlando handles twice as many tourists as Thailand, and it barely makes the news there.  In Thailand the grin and wince at the same time and it is always making the news .    I could be wrong.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Economy is a set of rules and interconnected domains. If one fails , it will eventually lead to the failure of others.  17.7 percent of Thai GDP (2.53 trillion baht) in 2016  was entirely made by tourism. That's not to count the number of investments that were done specifically FOR the tourism industry.

Thailand will be in a self inducted coma with no tourism. And Prayut knows that too well his junta will not last long in that case. Decreasing tourism will only means decreased investments, decreased investments will mean less jobs , less jobs will ... do i need to tell you all this?

Tourism only plays a small part in Thailand's economy as their manufacturing base is very strong, and I very much doubt they are concerned with the views of the outside world.

Thailand's direct contribution1 of Travel & Tourism to GDP was 9.4% of total GDP in 2017.

The total contribution2 of Travel & Tourism to GDP was 21.2% of GDP in 2017.

https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/reports/economic-impact-research/countries-2018/thailand2018.pdf

In 2012 T&T direct contribution was 2.9% of total GDP as a comparison.

https://www.etoa.org/docs/default-source/Reports/other-reports/2013-travel-tourism-economic-impact-by-wttc.pdf?sfvrsn=0

I'd say it's hard to ignore T&T revenues and views of the outside world.

1 The number of direct jobs within Travel & Tourism.

2 GDP generated directly by the Travel & Tourism sector plus its indirect and induced impacts.

Why don't we have such brave musicians here in Turkey ?!  ????   It is sadly true that the regime of Erdogan is a lot more brutal and repressive than the regime of Prayut, but it is these hard times that people like musicians and sports players (ie. those who have the ability and capacity to affect large numbers of people) should be brave and willing to take a risk.

By chance this video came up on the suggestion list in you tube this morning. The Mrs translated. 

Yes, they're pretty pissed off kids. 

Nice guitar solo with Thai flag painted guitar too. 

The surprise touch was them Re enacting the infamous photo of the folding chair desecration of the hanged protesters corpse in 1976.

Well the truth of that seems pretty undeniable.

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

They very much are. 

Perhaps or perhaps not.

Contemporary Thai history might be a reflective clarion as to the ruler's indifference as to how the world might see them.

As these activities, of a broad nature, have gone on forever without too much fanfare from foreign press and the world. 

They always recover quickly, as Thailand has played it's role of a darling throughout it's history and it's relationship with particular circles will never change drastically.........

Keen observers will know that Thailand has been largely ruled over by an oligarchical military hybrid for decades and all the cyclical activities that have been associated with it. Yet, never been truly condemned or lost favourable relationships from the usual foreign sides....retaining it's diplomatic patterns steadfast. And.......always been like this, regardless of political/social situations. Any foreign critics or condemnation have never ever had any longing effect. 

The cycles haven't changed.

The current crop of pundits have. 

They allow themselves to consider that all this current Thai theatre is something "new" to examine and critique. 

It's not - the same theatre has revolved around forever. The players change...

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Perhaps or perhaps not.

Contemporary Thai history might be a reflective clarion as to the ruler's indifference as to how the world might see them.

As these activities, of a broad nature, have gone on forever without too much fanfare from foreign press and the world. 

They always recover quickly, as Thailand has played it's role of a darling throughout it's history and it's relationship with particular circles will never change drastically.........

Keen observers will know that Thailand has been largely ruled over by an oligarchical military hybrid for decades and all the cyclical activities that have been associated with it. Yet, never been truly condemned or lost favourable relationships from the usual foreign sides....retaining it's diplomatic patterns steadfast. And.......always been like this, regardless of political/social situations. Any foreign critics or condemnation have never ever had any longing effect. 

The cycles haven't changed.

The current crop of pundits have. 

They allow themselves to consider that all this current Thai theatre is something "new" to examine and critique. 

It's not - the same theatre has revolved around forever. The players change...

There are two factors which perhaps take the current situation out of the cycle you describe.

First, the very existence of this song, and the astonishing reach it has achieved, is a reflection of how the "new media" is beyond the control of "the players". Hitherto they had always controlled the media. Now they don't.

Secondly, what makes the last two coups different, is that they targeted governments which had actually been chosen by the people rather than the "players". The quality and competences of those government are not the point, the point is that they were selected by the people. That selection has been rebuffed three times to be accurate.

Whilst I acknowledge your points about the traditional cycle of elite imposed governments, I really think that cycle has, or is, breaking down, as I said some days ago, it may be the same old play, with largely the same old players, but the audience may get up and walk out.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

There are two factors which perhaps take the current situation out of the cycle you describe.

First, the very existence of this song, and the astonishing reach it has achieved, is a reflection of how the "new media" is beyond the control of "the players". Hitherto they had always controlled the media. Now they don't.

Secondly, what makes the last two coups different, is that they targeted governments which had actually been chosen by the people rather than the "players". The quality and competences of those government are not the point, the point is that they were selected by the people. That selection has been rebuffed three times to be accurate.

Whilst I acknowledge your points about the traditional cycle of elite imposed governments, I really think that cycle has, or is, breaking down, as I said some days ago, it may be the same old play, with largely the same old players, but the audience may get up and walk out.

And in the meanwhile, Thais still enjoy their real freedom, independence, and self-sufficient ways. 

The mysterious paradox that is Thai keeps most perplexed.

10 hours ago, moe666 said:

I am suprised nothing about a few watches. As my wife says after looking around to see if anyone in listening distance, these guys need to go

She  shouldn't need to worry about commenting on the poor behavior of those who are suppose to serve the country's best interests.  Fear is the problem.  The video was long overdue.    

19 hours ago, rkidlad said:

They very much are. 

Do you think the junta gives a rats arse, remember Thailand is the centre of the universe, so some believe. 

On 10/28/2018 at 12:20 PM, the guest said:

Very true! 

On 10/28/2018 at 8:40 AM, robblok said:

Why not artist have been known throughout the centuries to make fun of goverment leaders. They always had a bit more slack. This is exactly that so why not call it artistic freedom.

Artists have always had more freedom, and yes everyone should have freedom within limits and rules. Your freedom should not impede on my freedom and guess what we need rules for it.

If you decide to block a road to protest and I wan't to pass that road then something like that is only allowable with some sort of goverment agreement. Just imagine if everyone started to block roads everywhere what chaos we would get. So freedom is not absolute. 

freedom to act and freedom of  speech are two very different things..

On 10/27/2018 at 9:57 AM, rebo said:

In the meanwhile there are tens of other sources than YT to see the VDO. Seems it's going around the world. Lyrics available in many languages. Simply use Google ...!

It is still available on U.S. servers...not sure if the Thai server was the cause of my earlier problem or not.

On 10/28/2018 at 12:50 AM, Donutz said:

Are you for real? Sorry but any person with a connection to Thailand really ought to know about the October 6 event, the massacre by paramilitary troops on students of the Thammasat university in 1976. Only 3 years after the bloodbath of 1973. And much blood was spilled on various other days since then. ????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_University_massacre

I am very much for real.  To be fair, do Thais other than the elite Thammasat political activists know the story behind the lynchings and beatings? After some inquiry, I'm told this tragic historical event is not even taught in most schools or universities, and that many Thais won't get the 'chair' reference in the lyrics.  So how would a foreigner working here know it as common knowledge?  But now I know, so thanks for the condescending and informative reply.

• 4 months later...

nothing happen to them, so today they have made another song titled "250 bootlickers" or "2500 a.slickers" - reference to 250 military senators nominated by junta. English subtitles available.

Their previous song was vied 60mln times, of which 1.1 mln thumbs up and 37k thumbs down. The junta is scared their popularity, might drop charges

21 minutes ago, londonthai said:

nothing happen to them, so today they have made another song titled "250 bootlickers" or "2500 a.slickers" - reference to 250 military senators nominated by junta. English subtitles available.

Their previous song was vied 60mln times, of which 1.1 mln thumbs up and 37k thumbs down. The junta is scared their popularity, might drop charges

Good timing for release.

Archived