How is retirees life in Kanchanaburi ?

The Theory

I have been to Kanchanaburi only once. I would like to hear from retirees who have experienced living in this city. How you feel and what is the downside of living in Kanchanaburi. 

How is the immigration office ? Convenient location ?

Anything that could be helpful.

i do not own any car, just a scooter. 

????

A few years ago one of my choices for retirement was Kan. but decided aganist it mainly for being too small. Went with Chiang Mai a bit larger and more to do. i do make at least one trip a year to Kan. the easy bar is a great palce to hang

Kancha is like any other mid-sized town in Thailand. "On the move".

While other mid-sized towns come across as rather bland and boring for "westerners", Kancha is blessed with the River Kwai Tourist Attraction, giving it somewhat of an international flair. Mae Nam Road is called by some as Little Pattaya. With emphasis on "little" and getting "litteler", as Tourist-Interest in the historical River Kwai episode seem to be fading somewhat.
Kancha is surrounded by "mountains", not allowing for refreshing "breezes". Making it a stifeling hot place at times.
Having to choose between Kancha and other mid-sized towns in Thailand, Kancha is not a bad choice as it offers a combination of Thai-living plus a bit of international flair.
Immigration very easy going. (but things are changing nationwide as I write).
A scooter is all you need as far as transportaition is concerned.
Cheers.

Did my 90 days in Kan this morning. Late opening today but my receipt was timed 8.32.30 and did not need a number!!

About 1 minute in and out.

Great expat community and a beautiful province.

Please keep away. Leave us alone!! 5555????????????????????

I live there 50/50 (or more now)and find it quite nice. Yes, it can get very hot in March/April, but the mountains and all the rivers/Dam etc nearby are lovely to see.

Lots of interesting places to visit nearby, some good restaurants around, plus the usual local fare.
Immigration are fine, if your not sure just ask them and the Burmese border is about a hour away and easy to renew your 90 days, if required.

You can get most farang food, there's Big C, a large Tescos, Makro and a Robertson's Mall with a Tops inside. If you like fast food, there's a McDonald's, 3 KFCS, Pizzas etc, a fish and chip shop and even Sunday roast (if your British [emoji18]).

A choice of watering holes for different tastes with a few sports bars as well as the usual little Pattaya bars, accommodation is quite cheap. Some Gyms with a pool to work off all that food etc [emoji4].

The locals are friendly, very few problems with anyone and the Police are fine, don't see them much. As you would expect it's more laid-back than other cities, but that's the attraction. No need for car really, a scooter is fine. I would try the area for a month or so, this will also give you chance to look for a suitable long term rental. Good luck

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived