Why is Beer So Expensive in Thailand Grocery Stores?

Banana7

Why is beer so expensive in grocery, convenience and food stores in Thailand? In Canada, lots of local beer, in a beer store, sells for CAD$1 a bottle, which is 25B. Here in Thailand, most local bottled beer sells for 30 baht or more, at least 20% more. Is it just government tax that makes beer so expensive or is gouging brewers and the lack of competition?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You need to specify the size of the bottle.

Plenty of 600ml bottled beer for 50-55bht.

But in Canada there are alternative products driving the beer price down.

In Ontario Canada, 12 imperial ounces, 341 ml, is CAD$1 including all taxes - 12 packs are CAD$12 and 24 bottle cases are CAD$24, plus deposit of $.10 per bottle, which refunded upon return of the bottle.

Here in Thailand, they even short you on the contents of a bottle of beer, which is only 330 ml.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I'm just asking for the reasons for expensive beer in Thailand, nothing more.

10 years ago i  bought 4 Blue Ice bottles of beer (large ones iirc) for 100 baht....prices have increased a lot since then.

Because in Thailand, the government added several times excise taxes over the year....Even 15 years ago it was already more expensive for a San Miguel Light for example  than in the Philippines where they are produced and where the taxes on beers and alcohol are very low....Nowadays the price difference between a San Mig Light in a 7/11 in Thailand and in the Philippines is even bigger !

I see now on the website https://www.honestbee.ph/en/groceries/stores/robinsons/departments/8019/categories/41749

the price of 300 ml san mig light is 32.75 PHP which is 20.3 THB ....a few years ago I think I saw the san mig light around 25 or 27 PHP...

As you can see, a Tiger (330 ml) is 31.25 PHP( 19.35 baht)...and a Heineken 330 ml although imported also is 46.50PHP (28.81 baht)...how much is it in Thailand now ? ;-)

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Vodka is really cheap in Thailand @ 150bht for 700ml.

Learn to adapt and drink the local liquors.

Or stay in your home country and enjoy cheap beer while sitting on your patio in the snow.

what you mention is NOT vodka, they call it "White Spirit"...not the same taste, and probably even more unhealthy... 

And if you try Lao Khao , it's even more dangerous...I heard u can become blind if u drink too much of it, probably contains a bit of methanol..

You need to try Brettweiser beer It is very cheap but some say very good with ice

If you like you can buy the labels and spoof your friends and family at the next gathering

Think of their reaction when they reach for a bottle with this label on it

Labels are self-adhesive  You can buy then at

www.parodylab.com

Brettwiser Beer Finished product.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cedel said:

what you mention is NOT vodka, they call it "White Spirit"...not the same taste, and probably even more unhealthy... 

And if you try Lao Khao , it's even more dangerous...I heard u can become blind if u drink too much of it, probably contains a bit of methanol..

I heard it causes the growth of hair on one's palms.  ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

How much is real estate in Ontario, Canada?

How much is a restaurant meal in Ontario Canada?

Can you get a tasty sit down street food meal with a free glass of water for 40 Baht in Ontario Canada?

Shall i compare beer prices in Ontario, Canada, with beer prices in Munich, Germany from convenience stores?

I am sure the German prices will be cheaper, for better tasting beer.

So, basically your point is what, and the whole world swings in roundabouts.

You actually drink the free water, yikes

7 hours ago, Banana7 said:

So why is hard alcohol sooo expensive in Canada? Or most of world even compared with your neighbor down under. Actually your beer costs more than the states too.  

I can still buy a 24 pack of several types of beer in expensive Boston for $16 or 540baht at today’s rate. 1.75 liter of Grey Goose for $45 ( I have never seen a better price anywhere). So if yah think 30 baht a beer is expensive then it just is.  As other posters mentioned you can grab a cab ( or purchase  things here) to the supermarket for probably 80% less than Toronto as well. 

4 minutes ago, pikao said:

Leo is part of the Singha Corporation

Yet his entire response is so typical of Tha visa when explaining all things thai - authoritative yet uninformed. 

Edited by HooHaa

7 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I believe people are complacent to pay that amount. I like plain soda water but don't drink it because I believe it's a rip off. But obviously there is a balance between price and the complacency levels of people in society. 

Drink cheap clean unflavored unadulterated water and be free and forever young

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

In Ontario Canada, 12 imperial ounces, 341 ml, is CAD$1 including all taxes - 12 packs are CAD$12 and 24 bottle cases are CAD$24, plus deposit of $.10 per bottle, which refunded upon return of the bottle.

Here in Thailand, they even short you on the contents of a bottle of beer, which is only 330 ml.

Why do you think that bottles here should be the same size as in Canada. Most bottles of Premium beer all over Europe are 330 ml. And it seems correct that if one bottle is one dollar, then 12 will be 12 CND and 24 = 24. Over here you get a 3 or 6 pack cheaper than single bottles. I do agree with the bottle deposit, do it over here........would make no difference, they would still just throw it away.