Why is Beer So Expensive in Thailand Grocery Stores?

Banana7

1 hour ago, Spock said:

Or go to Cambodia or Vietnam where alcohol is much cheaper and other stimulants are readily available. And where you don't have the ridiculous government restrictions on selling alcohol at certain hours. Or the prudish views of middle class Thais enforcing a ban on alcohol sales within a huge condo complex like Lumpini in Pathum Thani.

Wow, I never knew that. You learn something every day here. What is the reason? close to a school or something?

1 hour ago, cedel said:

what you mention is NOT vodka, they call it "White Spirit"...not the same taste, and probably even more unhealthy... 

And if you try Lao Khao , it's even more dangerous...I heard u can become blind if u drink too much of it, probably contains a bit of methanol..

No Red Cock Vodka @150bht/bottle in all Tesco Lotus stores tastes exactly the same as other Vodkas.

http://www.chaopraya.biz/index.php?lay=show&ac=cat_show_pro_detail&pid=20186

There is also Uncle Tom Green (Gin) for a similar price, but that doesn't taste so good.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Balance it with the cheap fags and it’s still a winner....( I’m non smoker) I’ve got selective where I drink,,,55 bt max and preferably Chang Yai at 70 bt,....in nice bars ..use of Free Pool tables and Tv Sports...ala in all not bad...WHY do some ( even back st bars) feel 50 bt for 7bt worth of SODA WATER?? That’s about 700% RIP OFF,

cant blame TAX on that one!!

Edited by Boombum

10 hours ago, Banana7 said:

In Ontario Canada, 12 imperial ounces, 341 ml, is CAD$1 including all taxes - 12 packs are CAD$12 and 24 bottle cases are CAD$24, plus deposit of $.10 per bottle, which refunded upon return of the bottle.

Here in Thailand, they even short you on the contents of a bottle of beer, which is only 330 ml.

Hyperbole. The new Ontario government said they would bring back $1 (buck a beer) Maybe one or two companies did with an off-label el-cheapo brand.  That said, I understand your point. Singa is basically the same price as Molson Export, Canadian or Labatt Blue. In relative terms, beer in Thailand is extremely expensive.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Why do you think that bottles here should be the same size as in Canada. Most bottles of Premium beer all over Europe are 330 ml. And it seems correct that if one bottle is one dollar, then 12 will be 12 CND and 24 = 24. Over here you get a 3 or 6 pack cheaper than single bottles. I do agree with the bottle deposit, do it over here........would make no difference, they would still just throw it away.

Someone would pick it up and bring it back if there was a deposit... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

So why is hard alcohol sooo expensive in Canada? Or most of world even compared with your neighbor down under. Actually your beer costs more than the states too.  

I can still buy a 24 pack of several types of beer in expensive Boston for $16 or 540baht at today’s rate. 1.75 liter of Grey Goose for $45 ( I have never seen a better price anywhere). So if yah think 30 baht a beer is expensive then it just is.  As other posters mentioned you can grab a cab ( or purchase  things here) to the supermarket for probably 80% less than Toronto as well. 

Well Hendrick Gin in Ontario Canada is about $55 for 70cl and here in Thailand is 2,500 baht which is CAD$100.

My guess as to why USA prices are cheaper than Canada is because in Canada, liquor is controlled by the provincial government, called LCBO in Ontario, there is no competition. In USA liquor is available in most convenience stores.  Also, volume and distribution affect prices - USA has 10 times more people so they consume 10 times more booze.

11 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

How much is real estate in Ontario, Canada?

How much is a restaurant meal in Ontario Canada?

Can you get a tasty sit down street food meal with a free glass of water for 40 Baht in Ontario Canada?

Shall i compare beer prices in Ontario, Canada, with beer prices in Munich, Germany from convenience stores?

I am sure the German prices will be cheaper, for better tasting beer.

So, basically your point is what, and the whole world swings in roundabouts.

This doesn't answer the poster's question at all. I think he/she wants to know, does beer cost more to make in Thailand? Are there excessively high taxes on it? Are there excessively high profit margins?

17 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I think his point is why is the cat's piss here so expensive. If you're comparing then surely the prices here are far more expensive in relation to wages and the beer must be amongst the worst in the world.:burp: 

It's just called taxation guys.

Lighten up.

Beer and sit down meals and diesel and petrol is more expensive in the UK than Germany, Holland & Belgium.

Beer is ridiculously cheap in Germany. Even in pubs. It is ridiculously expensive in a UK pub.

Beer is cheap in Laos . And even cheaper in Vietnam.

It is more expensive (and of worse quality) in TH.

It's just called taxation guys.

Lighten up.

5 hours ago, Boombum said:

Balance it with the cheap fags and it’s still a winner....( I’m non smoker) I’ve got selective where I drink,,,55 bt max and preferably Chang Yai at 70 bt,....in nice bars ..use of Free Pool tables and Tv Sports...ala in all not bad...WHY do some ( even back st bars) feel 50 bt for 7bt worth of SODA WATER?? That’s about 700% RIP OFF,

cant blame TAX on that one!!

how does beer price equal out with cheap fags if you dont smoke?

still trying to work that out.555

also where are these bars with pool table, and tv sport thats only 70 bht per large bottle chang?

i never seen soda water that high except for the ripoff karaoke place,

and usually they charging cos Thais bringing in their own bottle of wiskey.

if you are one of those guys who go to fancy place and drink 1 mineral water..

suck it up man!

these places arent providing entertainment, pay the wages, pay rent and overheads etc

all so you can hog the table and free aircon and sip 12bht soda water!!!

It's all monopoly and tax

Decent euro beer from Germany or Belgium is so overpriced i always tell myself i won't buy it again in protest...... But then i do 

If you think Chang, singa and Leo are expensive.... Have a look at erdinger,leffe, chimay, duval, franciskaner, hoegarten,Paulaner and other quality German beers i buy but can't spell... 

After the last tax increase they now cost  149-189 a bottle in bkk supermarkets.....but god dammit they're delicious and you only live once.... ???? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Is there anything blocking the setup of micro brewers in Thailand, in an attempt to break the monopolies/oligopolies?

Actually, there is. Has been many times on this forum. It's very hard to get a licence if you're small. Also, who owns the distribution networks? Very hard for a new player to get into. 

3 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

No they are not. They are priced according to the costs.

I think you need to look up the definition of capitalism. "Products are sold for a price which people will pay for." is exactly that. Many products have >500% markup.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Banana7 said:

In Ontario Canada, 12 imperial ounces, 341 ml, is CAD$1 including all taxes - 12 packs are CAD$12 and 24 bottle cases are CAD$24, plus deposit of $.10 per bottle, which refunded upon return of the bottle.

Here in Thailand, they even short you on the contents of a bottle of beer, which is only 330 ml.

You do not seem to get out much banana, it is now only 320 ml.

For those of us who drink in pubs and bars rather than sitting at home, less than two quid a pint (outside central Bangkok and the major tourist areas) is just fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rott said:

Spend.half an hour reading ecomomics for beginners.

So that explains why you have no idea on how things are priced.

Raw materials cost + manufacturing cost + labor cost + transportion/distribution cost + taxes + company profit margin = Sales price. 

Companies exist for one reason only. To make a profit. They don't operate out of generosity and sell things at a loss, otherwise they would soon cease to exist.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1