Why is Beer So Expensive in Thailand Grocery Stores?

Banana7

6 hours ago, Hans007 said:

In most Supermarkets in germany fe 500 ML lokal brewed beer cost 29 eurocent..!! yes thats correct..good quality. Offcourse brands like Warsteiner,Becks or other A brands cost more, up to 79 eurocents for 500 ml can. So I agree that thai beer is kind of expensive. My GF told me in Hua Hin cost about 40 bath a can of beer..! thats more then 1 euro!!

Same in Spain, 25 cents. But the breweries in Thailand are owned by two of the richest men in the country. I guess that's how they made their money. Beer in Thailand is outrageously expensive compared to the income of the locals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Same in Spain, 25 cents. But the breweries in Thailand are owned by two of the richest men in the country. I guess that's how they made their money. Beer in Thailand is outrageously expensive compared to the income of the locals.

Don't even start on the wine. 1000 baht for a half decent bottle 30 Euros !!!!

• Like 2

On 10/29/2018 at 2:58 PM, cedel said:

San Miguel Light for example  than in the Philippines where they are produced

San Miguel is brewed in Nontaburi or maybe Patumthani depending where the border is.

Edited by VocalNeal

Beer has always been expensive in Thailand. You need to get with the program. BTW its the cheapest it has ever been in Grocery Stores, NOW, so why the earbash?

Don't Worry, Be Happy. 

Edited by Dcheech

• 1 month later...

Why is beer expensive in Thailand (compared to general price levels)? I guess it is for the same reason beer is expensive in nanny state Norway and some extreme Islamic countries. Moralistic taxation/sin tax. Even though the Norwegian currency has gone down the drain (compared to USD and THB at least) I'd still have trouble finding anywhere with more expensive beer in the supermarket than Norway. Converted to baht, I'd say a 500 ml can would be about 100 thb here, so Thailand still has "cheap" beer for me. However, I'd rather go to Spain if binge drinking was the only point of traveling (0.25€ beer, how is it even possible?).

• 4 months later...

Import tariffs to protect local beer industry from International competition.

If you notice most imports are 2-3 times as expensive as domestic.

This gives domestic brews leeway to elevate their prices and increase profits.

Monopoly.

Ever played the game?  One person winds up with all the money and everyone else is broke.

On 10/29/2018 at 9:29 AM, Spock said:

Or go to Cambodia or Vietnam where alcohol is much cheaper and other stimulants are readily available. And where you don't have the ridiculous government restrictions on selling alcohol at certain hours. Or the prudish views of middle class Thais enforcing a ban on alcohol sales within a huge condo complex like Lumpini in Pathum Thani.

Do you base your life on the price of booze and drugs? Would you really up sticks

and move to another country for such trvial reasons?