Expats

tom_a

Has anyone done a rough census of how many expats live in Chiang Rai province, or estimates of expats and countries of origin? I'm guessing there have been a variety of attempts to have gatherings of expats and their families...how good is the turn out on these or do you folks just basically run into each other around town or at a local watering hole?

Thanks,

Tom

Has anyone done a rough census of how many expats live in Chiang Rai province, or estimates of expats and countries of origin? I'm guessing there have been a variety of attempts to have gatherings of expats and their families...how good is the turn out on these or do you folks just basically run into each other around town or at a local watering hole?

Thanks,

Tom

Some speculations were done in this thread, about 18 months ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49778

I noticed that I mentioned that I knew about 23 Dutch people by name.

I just checked: Now, one and a half year later, I know about the existence of about 32 Dutch in our neighbourhood. I don't know if this growth is representative for other nationalities.

I think however that the British are the biggest group.

I would guess that the total number of western immigrants (95 % males) will be something inbetween 1500 and 2000 noses. The development I noticed during the last ten years is that the newcomers raise the average age.

The need for geriatric care and facilities will grow quickly.

We don't have expat clubs of the kind you would find in the towns with bigger concentrations of western male immigrants. I think also that the number of western female immigrants is relatively bigger in Chiang Rai than in some of the more famous immigration areas.

People meet each other in sharing the same interests, hobby's, sports, yes, even in taking part in cultural activities.

I think many of the expats who have been living here for several years adjusted quite well to Thai society and most of them participate in local events together with their Thai friends and neighbours.

Chiang Rai is still mainly a town for people who are interested in Thailand, its people and its culture .

One can expect however that this will change when the number of western immigrants in Chiang Rai gets too high and will create its own subculture. So far the newcomers are quite diverse: Some widen their perspectives on life by learning from their Thai hosts and others concentrate on teaching them what they should do to become the same like us :D . Cheap prices, a pleasant climate, access to modern communication technology and good connections with the rest of the world are often mentioned as reasons to move to Chiang Rai.

Limbo :o

What about the Hash that was going on a while ago? Now when I finally have the urge to exercise it seems to have vanished? Or, it´s still around but in hiding? :o

I don´t mind the average age being high in Chiang Rai. Personally I do just as Limbo says, spend time with both thais and farangs which means I can choose.

What about the Hash that was going on a while ago? Now when I finally have the urge to exercise it seems to have vanished? Or, it´s still around but in hiding? :o

I don´t mind the average age being high in Chiang Rai. Personally I do just as Limbo says, spend time with both thais and farangs which means I can choose.

if you pm me with your email address i will send you directions for the hash on saturday 17 feb. the hash is on the 3rd saturday of the month

Thanks for the feedback. Basically,it sounds pretty much likea guessing game on the subject, but nothing wrong with of guessing. It's pretty safe to say the Province is growing pretty rapidly, hopefully with good representatives from each country.

Tom